Options

Active Directory/User Properties

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
IT Pro's,

If I want a user to be able to connect to any computer in the domain, Do I go on to the 'Account' tab and click on 'Log on to' and configure in the 'Logon Workstations' dialog box?

Also, could you please explain the 'Profile' tab and explain the 'User Profile path and script' & 'Home folder' Local path and connect?

Many Thanks.

Raj

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RS_MCP wrote:
    IT Pro's,

If I want a user to be able to connect to any computer in the domain, Do I go on to the 'Account' tab and click on 'Log on to' and configure in the 'Logon Workstations' dialog box?
    By default, the user can log on to any computer in the domain. If you want to restrict it to just a few machines, you enter the computer names in the "Logon Workstations" box. Once you enter any computers (or even just a single computer) that is then the ONLY workstations that user can log on to.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    RS_MCP wrote:
    IT Pro's,

Hmmm...not sure if I know exactly what you mean there, do you mean remotely connect via RDP, having the ability to manage the workstation through computer management, or just log onto the machine in general???

EDIT: Mark answered the question as i thought it was being asked so nevermind my question.
    RS_MCP wrote:

Also, could you please explain the 'Profile' tab and explain the 'User Profile path and script' & 'Home folder' Local path and connect?

Many Thanks.

Raj

The profile tab is where you can specify a path for a user's roaming profile, say you have a network share on FileSrv1 and your user profiles are shared on UserProfs...you would enter \\FileSrv1\UserProfs\%username% - the %username% would resolve to the objects username.

The script is the login script for that specific user, it can be specified here or through a GPO.

Home folder can be set for a drive mapping to a network share each time the user logs onto a machine.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks shednik, I forgot to answer his second question. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
    Thank you guys! :)
  • Options
    jabbman42jabbman42 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you know how to make a policy change or whatever to make it where when a user is added,
    access to all machines is not the default? In other words have it where when a user is added the default is a fake machine named "none" or something like that.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Do you mean that when you create a new user he starts without being able to log onto any computers?

Just disable his account and add the computers to Logon Workstations box as and when he needs to use them. Remember to re-enable to account once you add the first machine.

Or setup GP to restrict his access.

Can I ask why you would want to do this then we may be able to suggest a more appropriate way for you need :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools