Options

XP pro will not autoshutdown when PC is locked -help!

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey XP gurus

check this out....I have tried many programs that shutdown the PC via schedule.
this is my dilemma. When I hot key windows key + L on the key board it locks
the PC with the current user login.okay I set the shutdown program to shut down
1 minute past me locking it. Bam it works; shuts it down.

but if i wait hours go by! it just doesnt work. So if time goes by, it doesnt work. but
it will shut it down 1 minute after me locking if i set it on schedule to shut down.

what gives?????

my next fix is to check gpedit.msc? it is not a domain PC it is a workgroup PC.

i have no clue after i look at gpedit.msc

does anyone know what is wrong>?

i have used XP pro 'shutdown command
psshutudown with pstools which usually works and yes i have been using the force option/switch on al of the.
3rd party programs thare free?

what is preventing after a time for this pc not to shut down automatically???
help!!

i have never seen this before! never where my programs couldnt force a shutdown when locked out! in our domain at work; works fine! when a user locks PC out with windows key+L

???????????????? icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    I've used it before and it works great.
    http://foobar2000.pl/strdp//en/programs/sds_home.html

Edit. Whoops the link earlier was to the polish version! changed it.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you running this locally or remotely? Make sure you're not shutting off your network connection. Go to your network card properties and click "Configure", go to "Power Management" and check there.

clear the check box by "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    thanks for your suggestions, i have never seen this before. it is a standalone PC (localy run script/program no network shutdown)
    xp pro...it works 1 minutes after you do the key stroke windows key + L and 1 and i set
    the autoshutdown with /f (force switches) and works then but if you wait say 1 hour or more
    doesnt work. i have use many shutdown programs and switches my fav is psshutdown
    always works on any plateforem xp pro or windows 2k especially but
    freaking me out. i am going to check gpedit.msc and see what the rights are but the user is local admin??
    thanks for helping me buds!
    :D

i will let you know!
  • Options
    sprkymrk and hetty

sprkmrk
    dude you were on the right track; yeah I finally saw the light. what a dummy i feel like
    yeah after 15 minutes it goes into standbye or hybernate mode = shutdown
    so program willl not run! or my scripts for shutdown.. so i shut the hybernate off and standbye modes and I waited hours later and bam came back and it was shut down even when i put it in locked mode! worked like normal. funny i just didnt think to look to see if it was put into hybernate mode/standbye mode of course it wont run and i uncheck the check box you told me to sprkymrk.right on thanks man i was too close to the project to see somethat so simple
    thanks a lot for helping me see the light! :D
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad to help Robert. In case you couldn't tell, those power settings have bit me in the butt before. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk

haahhahhhaa man i felt silly but of course i told the lady at the gym something
    complex happened that was odd with her paticular machine ahaahhhha
    hahahahah
    i made it sound really technical! hahha it was free work anyways haha
    and i learned something icon_eek.gif

but between you and me (ouch ahhhaahhahahh )
    i still laugh at that every time i think of it!
    cya!

yeah you did help me; i was getting pissed cause i always use the pstools
    and they always work but this time not even MS$$ shutdown command wouldnt work
    and i tried several others at home at work and bam shut down then i was thinking
    maybe file corruption...but when you said mentioned the sleep/hybernate stuff
    my mind went CLICK! lights came on
    hahahah