Options

Passed 70-217 with an 840, 70-219 Next.

TechGeekProTechGeekPro Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
icon_cheers.gif Well that's 2 exams in 2 weeks. Yahoo! 2 more exams in the next 2 weeks to go before my 4 vouchers expire. *whew* I think I'll allow a little more time for the 70-219 and a little less time for the 70-218 (1 week each) since other than not having the 70-216, 70-218 I hear should be sort of a review. After that I'll have plenty of time to tackle "the beast". Then I'll have my MCSA and be 1 exam away from my MCSE. I think for my last elective, I'll get the Network+ (albeit not necessary) and the Security+. I figure, what the h***, 2 exam gains me 3 certs.

icon_confused.gif: What's everyone's opinion on using Network+/Security+ as an elective for the MCSA/MCSE?

:D Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement!!!
Not only am I certified, I'm certifiable.

Comments

• Options
    aznluvsmcaznluvsmc Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Which 2 exams did you pass? If you want to get your MCSE, do a Security+ certification as A+/Network+ is not an elective towards your MCSE. Also, a base level security certification is good for you. Network+ is a good exam to test your basic network knowledge but 216 kinda covers the same thing.
  • Options
    Thanks! I have A+, 70-210, 70-215, and 70-217 (last 2 being the most recent). Next I'll do 70-219 then 70-218, 70-216, Network+, and Security+. I know I won't be able to use the Network+ as an elective for the MCSE but I heard the the Security+ was hard (security is a weak area for me) so I was going to use Net+ as a stepping stone toward the Sec+. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have 1 more cert on my resume.
  • Options
    aznluvsmcaznluvsmc Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like an excellent plan! I look forward to seeing you follow through on it. As for me, I'm doing my 219 exam right now and then Security+ right after that to finish off my MCSE and my certifications for 2004. I will then be casually studying Linux from May - Aug until I head back to school for my graduation year.
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Congrats on the pass, I too am studying 219 and hope to take it in the next couple weeks after that im goind 216>Sec+ to finish out my MCSE. The 218 exam really isn't that hard and I figure after all the studying you've done so far you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it. It basically reviews the 215-216-217 tests in 1 test. Good Luck.
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Congratulations on the pass icon_thumright.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks! I have A+, 70-210, 70-215, and 70-217 (last 2 being the most recent). Next I'll do 70-219 then 70-218, 70-216, Network+, and Security+. I know I won't be able to use the Network+ as an elective for the MCSE but I heard the the Security+ was hard (security is a weak area for me) so I was going to use Net+ as a stepping stone toward the Sec+. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have 1 more cert on my resume.

You might want to do Net+ before 216. Having a stronger foundation in general networking concepts will help you with 216.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats TechGeekPro.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    Congrats
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?
  • Options
    JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    ajs1976 wrote:
    You might want to do Net+ before 216. Having a stronger foundation in general networking concepts will help you with 216.

I definitely second that. From what I've heard Sec+ makes pulling out ball hair with a pair of tweezers look like an easy task. For more info about Sec+, just ask pandimus ;)

Congrats on the pass and good luck with the rest :)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    For more info about Sec+, just ask pandimus

I can definitly tell you not what to do.. If you wanna know what to do ask russ.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote:
    That's an interesting idea, I hadn't considered that. My only reservation would be that 70-216 will be my last Microsoft exam in the MCSE track, the last 2 would be CompTIA. I've heard that on the Net+ and the Sec+ exams, there are more than one answer that could be right; that part of the trick to passing the exam is knowing which answer is the "most correct" according to CompTIA. And of course, anyone who has taken a Microsoft exam knows that they have their own approach to things. So, based on that, I'd be hesitant to take a Microsoft exam, then CompTIA, then Microsoft, and then CompTIA again. I figured that the best approach would be to tackle the all the Microsoft exams and then all of the CompTIA ones.

I'm certainly open to sugesstions.
  • Options
    Heck if your not interested in the NET+, and you are interested in CCNA, you could go for the intro and icnd exams..
  • Options
    pandimus wrote:
    Heck if your not interested in the NET+, and you are interested in CCNA, you could go for the intro and icnd exams..
    What intro and icnd exams? I'm considering going for the CCNA after I get the MCSE so if you could explain, I would appreciate it. I do want the Net+ but it will only help me get the MCSA whereas I'm not really interested in the Sec+ but it will help get the MSCE. After reading some of the posts in the Security+ forum on this site, I'm seriously reconsidering persuing the Sec+. I'm more interested in Messaging then Security, so I may go for that specalization. (Although... if I got the Security AND Messaging specalizations, would I be an MCSE S&M? Sorry... couldn't resist.) So the question remains: will having the Network+ be worth it if I achieve the MCSE?
  • Options
    MCSE S&M?

Thats gotta be one of the funniest things ive heard in a long time..

What i meant on the net+ thing is this. Basically the net+ and the CCNA intro exam are pretty much alike. You have a choice when getting a CCNA.. you can take one CCNA course which is a combination of CCNA intro and CCNA ICND. Or you can take each test individually. of course if you go the 2 test route it is a bit easier. But if you want to take NET+ and CCNA, that will give you 2 certs on your name.. It is up to you. Since i passed the Net+ already, i think i will just take the one test option and fill in the rest.. LOTs of subnetting which is not covered in NET+.
  • Options
    Duh, if I would've just took 2 minutes to go to Cisco's site, I would have known what you were talking about. I figured, once I got the Core Four knocked out, the Net+ shouldn't be that tough. As far as Cisco, I have NO experience with their routers so I figured I would probably need to take a class for those exams.
  • Options
    I have NO experience with their routers so I figured I would probably need to take a class for those exams
    honestly,

thats what i thought too... But now that I put a few hundred bucks into my routers and started messing around with them it is not too hard. Seems like a hundred commands and your in there. Why spend 2k on a class when you can spent 400 on routers and then resell them after.. Also what i noted. I bought my routers individually for cheaper than what a combined set of lesser quality routers would cost me on ebay, so i can proably sell the whole rig for a profit. (if i decide i need the money that bad.
  • Options
    I notice on the Linksys Web site that they are owned by Cisco. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless 4-port router.
    Does that count for anything? drunken_smilie.gif
  • Options
    rcsnydleyrcsnydley Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.
    I have four more exams to get my MCSE-Security.
    Then I think I will dabble in Linux for a bit (Linux+) then on to Cisco (CCNA, CCNP)
  • Options
    jcourtenayjcourtenay Inactive Imported Users Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1 week each? Thats a bit too quick if you ask me.

John Courtenay
    MCP (210,215,216), working on 217
    John Courtenay
    MCP,MCSA,MCSE(Windows 2000)(210,215,216,217,218,219,220)
    Aiming for MCSE 2003 by end of 2006
    http://www.jc-hosting.co.uk/refer.php?id=techexams
  • Options
    jcourtenay wrote:
    1 week each? Thats a bit too quick if you ask me.

John Courtenay
    MCP (210,215,216), working on 217
    Yeah, it probably was but I had to take 4 exams before my vouchers expired. Fortunately I passed them all. It did burn me out a little and I haven't taken an exam since I passed the 70-218. icon_eek.gif