Options

Phone Interview

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
IT Pro's,

I have my first phone interview for a IT Support role this friday!

Can anyone help on what questions I should expect?

Many Thanks,

Raj :)

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Phone interview is basically used to screen candidates for the real interview.

They may ask you you education/experience and what you can bring to the table if they hire you?

For these know your resume like the back of your hand and concentrate on your strengths

Some behavioral questions. They may ask you what you know about the company and why you want the position.

Google behavioral interview questions for some they may ask

Good Luck and let us know how it goes
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    readtm88readtm88 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had 2 in the last month or so.

do it in a quiet room with no distractions.

**** and take notes, if your not certin about the tech questions, write them down. if you get another interview you can count on them being asked again.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i just had one. use a landline if you can. dont need the poor quality of a cell phone to distract you. My phone interviews have always been tech questions, but nothing too involved. They save the hard stuff for when you have a face to face interview usually. Also, they usually ask some questions about your background. I agree, make sure you write down the questions so you make sure you're prepared if they pop up again. Having some questions about their company is a good thing as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RS_MCP wrote:
    IT Pro's,

I have my first phone interview for a IT Support role this friday!

Can anyone help on what questions I should expect?

Many Thanks,

I think everyone here pretty much answered your question but one thing i would like to add is to drink water and clear your throat. Speak with a confident voice and clearly. You will most likely get technical questions so they can get a feel on you, like someone else said here Phone interviews are to screen candidates. best of luck to you.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If you pace on the phone make sure to moderate yourself so that you don't work up your breathing.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    I read several experts who say you should stand up when talking on the phone. You WILL sound more confident. I found that, as well as slowly walking back and forth, to be true.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    undomiel wrote:
    If you pace on the phone make sure to moderate yourself so that you don't work up your breathing.

This is a VERY good tip. I never really noticed it, but whenever I had a phone interview, I always stood up and paced back and forth, moving hands, gestures, etc. I think it helped me think or something. Keeping a good pace without working up a heavy breath is a good pint because it would probably annoy the interviewer or make him/her think you may have breathing problems or something...
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I always knew that I paced back and forth on the phone, I'd been made fun of for it for years, but I had never noticed that it affected my breathing until my wife pointed out that I looked more like I was running a marathon. I've been making sure to keep to a slow and steady pace ever since then. :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Just make sure you dont sound like Fr. Ted at the lovely girls contest!

The first minute and a half
  • Options
    Hi IT Pro's,

The phone interview with the charity company went really well.

1. IT Manager explained the Company/IT Department/Role etc.
    2. He then asked me "How I feel about everything he explained".
    3. I told him I want the role & expanded a lot more on it...
    4. I told him my education & experience and what I want to achieve...
    5. He asked me my 'hobbies', I told him "HORSE RIDING"
    6. Turns out he is a passionate 'HORSE RIDER' so the conversation went the total opposite way!
    7. We ended up having a great laugh on the phone & he wants to see me for last stage face to face interview on the 23rd April!!!

Ok Guys! First IT interview face to face...no experience...What am I to expect???

Thanks,

• Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Good job! You have established a common interest with your boss, so that is an extra plus!

I would expect the face to face to be more technical and more of a test to see how you interact with the other employees. It will probably include a tour of the area, introductions, technical interview, maybe a lunch, etc. Just continue to be yourself, show a lot of interest in everything that the boss shows you, and answer and/or perform all of the technical questions/tasks the best you can. If you don't know the answer, make sure you let the boss know that you know how to find the answer.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome job! Just answer everything to the best of your ability. No shame in not knowing any questions, don't try to BS any answers just tell them what you would do to figure it out. Remember to dress professional and have a positive can do attitude. That alone goes a long way. Good Luck
  • Options
    Thank you guys!

Great help! :)