Options

Opinion on Job Description

jheckjheck Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was contacted today by a staffing agency and was told that I looked like a good fit for a Data Analyst position. The agency and wanted some more information about my resume and wanted me to email them my references. Next step I would assume would be an interview.

I did want to post the responsibilities of the job and see if other DBAs thought it looked like entry level work. The only thing I know about the company is that they are automotive and pay is under 40K. I have been trying to break into IT for the past few months and this looks like a great opportunity for someone with zero professional experience and just an Associate's Degree. I appreciate your comments.

-Jon

Scope of Work:

Provide analysis support for the following: reduction of engine warranty costs, improvement of field reliability, identification of root causes, and development of new data systems. Position also monitors and reports effectiveness of actions taken.

Perform data analyses in support of problem-solving teams and management decisions, to include identification of root causes, determination of population(s) affected, failure rate estimates and projections, and estimated warranty impact.

Play a supporting role in the development of new custom-built data systems aimed at informational support of warranty analysis and reducing the time and cost of doing business.

Maintain SQL Server and Access databases of supporting information for reliability analysis to include: warranty claim information, failure modes, product improvements.

Support maintenance of custom warranty analysis software (RAS); includes troubleshooting data issues, updating information tables, and checking validity of system data.

Other Projects as assigned.

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How good are you with relational databases?
  • Options
    I have had course work experience in SQL Server, Access and Oracle, for the most part just introductions nothing advanced other than a bit of PL in Oracle. I have no idea how that is going to transpire to real world database admin. Considering they are interested in me because of my resume and offering entry level pay, I just want to be sure I am on par on what is expected. I plan on brushing up on Access and SQL. I was actually surprised by this opportunity. I have been putting most of my focus on obtaining an A+ and studying my for my VB course. I better dust off my Access and SQL books.

-Jon
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When you say coursework i assume you mean from university? Ive found from university that i cant transpire alot of my work into my FT job because it is too academic. So if you do take a job like that just be prepared that you may be out of your comfort zone and will have to push to adapt to the situation. Also if a dba is what you want to do look for getting more qualified in the dept. I know oracle, sybase and ms have dba certs.

Well to be honest i cant comment on the job description but by the sounds of it you have no IT experiance or an IT related job. If a dba is what you want to do then it could be a good start for you and will get you some experiance and a foot on the ladder.

besides if a company took you on willingly knowing that you have little experiance they will probably be expecting to show you the ropes a little because you got to remember companies dont always want to pay the big bucks for the experts thats why they have trainee's/graduates etc otherwise they would just get the experts. So its a win win situation - you get the experiance etc and the company saves a few £££'s.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I agree that this is probably a really good opportunity.

Most companies will not trust all of their database to someone that has no experience. Chances are there will be senior DBA folks guiding you.

You will probably learn A LOT about databases from that job.

And starting salary of anything near 40k with no experience is a very GOOD deal
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    We hire data analysts with similar job descriptions as an entry level position and they are largely instructed and monitored by the Senior DBAs. The ones that perform well eventualy climb the DBA ladder and the others stay where they are or are moved to other departments eventually if needed. It would be probably be a great learning opportunity with regards to database for someone without experience.
  • Options
    I agree, seems like a great opportunity. With me having such a hard time landing entry level help desk position, this break was almost too good to be true. I will let you know the interview goes if I make it that far, so far seems promising. :D

-Jon
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SQL isn't that hard to pick up. There are only so many ways you can write a query. Of course they COULD have a very poorly designed database, which could make things slightly more difficult, but that's what views are for. icon_wink.gif

Go with your gut. It's usually right. :)