Options

CallManager vs. CME

I've heard that Cisco CallManager is the more prevalent application in today's business world vs. CME. I had been going over CME in class, which is now done, and I'm building my home lab now. I don't want to get CME to work with if I really need CallManager. Any suggestions for this?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    CME is really used for smaller business applications. After playing with CCM you will learn a lot more of what exactly is going on in a bigger network deployment/management. Usually in a CME, you create dial-peers and attach phones, you really don't set up partitions and Call Search Spaces, or any of the other things that go along with. Granted you can create custom scripts that can be deployed to end users with CME, it is a lot more prevalent in a Call Manager deployment.

I don't know, personally I don't recommend it unless its one of the following criteria,

1. LAB environment for testing
    2. Remote site with no direct connection to a local Hub site. ( with a l
    3. Single office installation with local users doing MAC's

those are the only ones I can think of right now. But if some one has another opinion on CME's deployment on a bigger network please chime in... I would like to hear how others are deploying..
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    CME is really used for smaller business applications. After playing with CCM you will learn a lot more of what exactly is going on in a bigger network deployment/management. Usually in a CME, you create dial-peers and attach phones, you really don't set up partitions and Call Search Spaces, or any of the other things that go along with. Granted you can create custom scripts that can be deployed to end users with CME, it is a lot more prevalent in a Call Manager deployment.

I don't know, personally I don't recommend it unless its one of the following criteria,

1. LAB environment for testing
    2. Remote site with no direct connection to a local Hub site. ( with a l
    3. Single office installation with local users doing MAC's

those are the only ones I can think of right now. But if some one has another opinion on CME's deployment on a bigger network please chime in... I would like to hear how others are deploying..

I'm needing to get one or the other for practice for my home lab and working on my CCVP. Would CallManager be better for this, or CME?
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    Personally, I have both..(have multiple 2800's)(Vmware is your friend) . I think the learning curve if you get the CCM would be less significant then if you got the cme and tried to learn the ccm on the job. And personally if you are studying for you CCVP a lot of the materiel so far has been over CCM not so much the CME configuration.

but also remember that CCM is kind of useless with out good gateways to test your setup on, that is why I choose the 2821/2811/2801's..

+1 for CCM
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You've either got one exam about CallManager or two exams for Unified Communications Manager, depending on which track you're doing. I'd say you pretty much want a Call Manager rather than CME.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    So my next probing question is - how do I get CallManager? It was already present on select routers in the school lab, so I never had to really think about that issue until now. Is it pricey?
  • Options
    E-BAY... 4.X is still the industry work horse right now, but I would buy into 6.0 server.

Here is a link to server and capabilities.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    CME has a maximum users of 240. Callmanager is in the thousands
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/