Adtrans and Adtran modules

I've used Atlas Adtrans in my school labs to simulate a PBX, and I've also seen Atlas Adtran T1 modules for sale on eBay. Does one just need the module to do what the Adtran itself can do, since it's so much cheaper? Or is there a better way to simulate a PBX in order to get two VoIP networks to talk to each other? Still trying to clarify things here. Thanks.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    An Atran T1 module without the Adtran Atlas chassis works about as well as a Cisco WIC-1T card works without a Cisco Router like the 2600 or 1700.

Rather than learn how to configure a device like the Adtran to act like the PSTN or pretend to be a PBX connection, you can spend your time learning and understanding the Cisco Routers and the Cisco Analog and Digital Interfaces. Then configure Cisco Routers to give you the same results you'd expect the PSTN Cloud or PBX to give you. You've got analog and digital voice lines going into the "PSTN Cloud" or the "PBX" -- calls get routed -- and calls come out somewhere else.

Something like an Adtran or Lucent/Ascend Max is nice in a lab environment where you may need to provide PSTN/PBX connections to several student lab pods. Back in the "old days" they were a cost effective way to get the port densities needed to support multiple pods. If you can find one well stocked with usable interfaces for a decent price grab it -- but I don't see any of the "Buy It Nows" on eBay that are worth the price.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!