Options

Hard work pays off in the end, I'm proof of that!!

lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Well I've gotta say this past week has been probably one of the best of my life, read below for the short version :)

Back in July 2007 I was on vacation with my family at the ocean when I received a phone call from my work. I ignored it and let it go to voicemail. It was my supervising lead wanting me to call him back about an opportunity. I called him the next day and he said that our companies networking department needed help because they were short 1 guy because of a special project he was away doing. So I said sure why not. At that time I was a Desktop Tech doing mainly medium to large projects.

I worked with the networking department from the beginning of August 2007 to the middle of November 2007. In the beginning of November I started studying for the Network+ exam and passed on November 30th. Now there was someone else in my department who had their Network+ & CCNA certs. They allowed him to work in the networking department to see what he could do. Now while I was working with them everyone seemed to like the work I did and they were pressing for me to get hired. Well since no position was open or approved, I obviously couldn't get up there permanently. Well, in December they announced that a new position was approved and would be posted in the 1st quarter of 2008.

Now knowing very well that I had a good chance of getting the position it still did not guarantee anything because I had competition within my own Desktop group. So I set a goal to get my CCNA cert to even the playing field. After 2 months of intense studying which included a 2-1/2 week vacation that was used soley for preparation for the exam, I passed with flying colors, 1000/1000. The job was finally posted in March, and I just found out yesterday that I was offered the position. The pay increase was nice, but it was the fact that I have now broken out of desktop and into the networking field where I can now broaden my knowledge even further.

I've been working in IT for almost 3 years, mainly doing desktop work. Prior to that I had been trying to get into the IT field for about 5 years. I've always had family to feed and couldn't really break away from my good paying sales position to take an entry level IT job. I feel that these past 7 months I've sacrificed alot just to get to where I am today.

So for all you guys out there that think you'll never move up, make sure you have the right attitude and perseverance and gain those new skills you need to make the transition. I always felt like I would never do anything but desktop. But once the opportunity presented itself, I took the bull by the horns and forged ahead.

NEVER GIVE UP!

This too shall pass........

Comments

• Options
    opaqueopaque Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Inspirational story.........your my HERO. No joke. :D

I dedicate my very first post to you.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    opaque wrote:
    Inspirational story....

+1

Way to persevere and accomplish what you set out to! It's great to hear about someone's hard work paying off.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Great job!!

This is a prime example of someone working hard when given the opportunity even though their resume only says Dektop Support. Keep up the good work, continue to press on, and watch your pockets fill up :D .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    aww man, im so pleased for you!

i feel great satisfaction from reading your post because i am in a similar position.
    What do you feel gave you the greatest chance of obtaining the post? was it the fact that you worked well? or did the ccna play a big part in that?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GREAT story!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    good work .... keep it up.

hopefully it will end up with you earning those OTHER four cisco letters.
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good job man i see alot of great potential , you sound like you have a wonderful job
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    jheckjheck Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Awesome job, I really appreciate hearing successful stories, motivates me and I am sure others. I hope I can share my story soon. :)

-Jon
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    That's very inspiring dude. Keep up the good work :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, congrats! icon_thumright.gif

Benjamin Franklin (or was it Thomas Jefferson?) wrote "I am a strong believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it ..."
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    GREAT story!

+1
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    congrats

I need to bookmark this so that i finally a have a good response for all those "how do i get out of helpdesk/desktop support." Just have to show them it takes time, dedication, and hard work.

Once more congratulations.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations dude, well deserved for the hard work and effort!

1UP + a Mushroom! :D
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Wow, congrats! icon_thumright.gif

Benjamin Franklin (or was it Thomas Jefferson?) wrote "I am a strong believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it ..."

Don't ever question your first guess sprky!!! it was Benjamin Franklin indeed........

Lived by that quote for quite some time......!!!! :)

Great Story by the way!!!!! Love it when the hard workers get acknowledged!!! :D

Keep it up! See you in the CCNP forums

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Excellent Story! Good to see that another person has succeed! Hard work pays off!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lnsomnia wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Well I've gotta say this past week has been probably one of the best of my life, read below for the short version :)

Back in July 2007 I was on vacation with my family at the ocean when I received a phone call from my work. I ignored it and let it go to voicemail. It was my supervising lead wanting me to call him back about an opportunity. I called him the next day and he said that our companies networking department needed help because they were short 1 guy because of a special project he was away doing. So I said sure why not. At that time I was a Desktop Tech doing mainly medium to large projects.

I worked with the networking department from the beginning of August 2007 to the middle of November 2007. In the beginning of November I started studying for the Network+ exam and passed on November 30th. Now there was someone else in my department who had their Network+ & CCNA certs. They allowed him to work in the networking department to see what he could do. Now while I was working with them everyone seemed to like the work I did and they were pressing for me to get hired. Well since no position was open or approved, I obviously couldn't get up there permanently. Well, in December they announced that a new position was approved and would be posted in the 1st quarter of 2008.

Now knowing very well that I had a good chance of getting the position it still did not guarantee anything because I had competition within my own Desktop group. So I set a goal to get my CCNA cert to even the playing field. After 2 months of intense studying which included a 2-1/2 week vacation that was used soley for preparation for the exam, I passed with flying colors, 1000/1000. The job was finally posted in March, and I just found out yesterday that I was offered the position. The pay increase was nice, but it was the fact that I have now broken out of desktop and into the networking field where I can now broaden my knowledge even further.

I've been working in IT for almost 3 years, mainly doing desktop work. Prior to that I had been trying to get into the IT field for about 5 years. I've always had family to feed and couldn't really break away from my good paying sales position to take an entry level IT job. I feel that these past 7 months I've sacrificed alot just to get to where I am today.

So for all you guys out there that think you'll never move up, make sure you have the right attitude and perseverance and gain those new skills you need to make the transition. I always felt like I would never do anything but desktop. But once the opportunity presented itself, I took the bull by the horns and forged ahead.

NEVER GIVE UP!

This too shall pass........

Well done, and congratulations for passing without ****!