Options

Pass 70-270 now 70-271???

cheesecouponscheesecoupons Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Whew just passed with a 784 - I was hoping I would do better - but I'll take it!
I am on track to do 70-271 next. I don't see much scuttlebutt about this one, anybody know why?? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why are you doing 271 next? I was under the impression that 271 and 272 were below the level of 270 and were just used for MCDST. What are you working towards?
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The 271 is used in conjunction with the 272 to achieve the MCDST.

The MCDST, from my understanding is more of a help desk certification like the A+. The general consensus around here is that the 270 is a harder exam... I don't think it would hurt to have the MCDST as well as other MS certifications though.

BTW, Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is your current goal and motivation for taking the exams? If you're currently in or want to obtain a desktop support or help desk position, getting your MSDST with 70-271 & 70-272 makes sense. If you deal with Vista, you could also go with 70-620 and get your MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuring.

If you're more of a server and networking type, look at 70-290. That will put you on the path to an MCSA/MCSE, and you won't need another client OS level exam since you have 70-270 already.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    Tommy2727Tommy2727 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where were the majority of your questions based on? was there a lot of networking or IIS questions...my subnetting networking score is not the best on my pratice exams.....
    Practice, Practice, and more Practice make Perfection.....
  • Options
    I am working towards the MCSA with security. The training center I am going to set me up 70-270, 70-271, 70-272, 70-290, 70-291, SY0-101. This is what they set me up for - plus work is paying for it so I figured I would go for it. Scared of the 70-290 and 70-291
    I have been working help desk type jobs many years. Looking to move on. Sadly I have a grad degree in IT management but have been working in government where they use Microsoft/UNIX but only to get you to the area of what you need to be - mostly supporting stuff nobody else uses. so all my "book lurnin' is 'worthless' it seems...if that makes sense.
    As far as the test, relax. the test prep on this site is pretty good. I did not use the one that came with the MS book because it was crazy.
  • Options
    Some thoughts:

290 is the same level of 270.

271 and 272 will give you an MCDST, which counts as an elective for the MCSA, but not the MCSE.

The Security+ will also count as an elective for the MCSA and MCSA: Security, so the MCDST is redundant for this purpose.

The MCSA trumps the MCDST, so I think you are wasting your time with the that, even if you aren't paying for it. You could be another exam or two into your MCSE instead of doing those.

You will still need to do 299 or one of the ISA exams for your MCSA: Security specialization.
  • Options
    I was trying for the MCSA because I thought I would start out slow. To tell you the truth I am very bad at tests. I get nervous, sick to my belly, etc. I am scared to death of the 70-290 and above exams.
    Yeah, I am not sure why I was put on such a long path. I am looking to getting more into the admin side. I am hoping they included everything I need. I will have to double check with them. On the sheet I have it looked like all of the classes were required for the MCSA. I also need to ask about the security aspect.
    Even so, I am worried. I don't want to be a "paper" cert but due to my circumstance I was stuck in lame jobs (gotta pay those student loans) that ate away at my skills and anything I had learned in college. I learn quickly but I admit in interviews that I do not know everything and would probably need to be trained for a little while. I suppose I could do what my friend does - he always padds his experience etc and he gets jobs - then he gets in there and I am sure he bumbles around. But I wouldn't feel right about that and would feel embarrased if they told me to do something I had lied about.
    In any event, I love to learn and challenge myself but I don't know how this will translate into a new job. I don't do any of this stuff on any of these tests at my current job (downsizing will be losing this job soon) so I guess that is why I just went with the training center and took the long way around.
    I just hope I am not wasting my time on these. Seems like all I do is read and do labs.
  • Options
    Some thoughts:
    290 is the same level of 270.

also what do you mean by same level of 270?
  • Options
    also what do you mean by same level of 270?

Difficulty.

Also, don't even consider padding your resume. That will come back to haunt you.
  • Options
    No, like I said above - O wouldn't feel right about it.

Now, I heard the 290 has those funky drag and drop questions (as stated on the MS site) whereas 270 did not (this is on the MS site so hopefully I won't get in 'trouble")
    But, you have been thru it so I will take your word. Actually, it makes me feel a little less anxious to hear that!
    What do you think about the rest. Losing some skills etc. I just need to find the right palce and I know I could Kick A.

~Marlene~
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't have any drag and drop on 290. They were all full sims or pick the right area of the picture.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA