Options

Cisco IAD2421....anyone play with one before?

pullin-gspullin-gs Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looks like a multi-port (FXSx8, Channelized-T1, Ethernet) gateway.
I got one as a PBX emulation with one of my 3810 (has a DVM-T1).
I also went with this because it can MGCP-peer to my CCM 6.0 setup.

I got it a few minutes ago off Ebay.
I'm almost certain it will need a flash upgrade (currenlty only has 8MB).
DRAM is fine at 64MB

What else can this box do?

Thanks

Pullin'

Comments

• Options
    This is what I have found out so far.
    I got mine delivered to my door for about $180.
    This unit only has 8mb flash, so I TFTP-load my image (needs 16meg)....otherwise I am stuck with a 12.1 version.

It has an 8 fxs-port module (other options include 16FXS, or 16FXS/8FXO, or a channalized PBX interface which supports CAS)
    It has one integrated channalized T1 interface, and one standard serial interface.
    It has one Ethernet interface (RJ45).
    It supports IP routing.

Like the VG2xx gateway, the IAD21xx also configures directly via CCM5 or CCM6 both. Dial-peers are configured through CCM vi the java GUI.

....vs the the three MC3810 devices I have which can only be configured as generic MGCP or H.323 gatways. All dial peers and ports must be configured through IOS manually with the MC3810.

It has some sort of daughter-card for performance speed increase, and another for compression. Not sure what they are or even if I need be concerned. Maybe I'll hock them on ebay to recover some of my initial investment?

DO NOT pay the $500+ people want for these. Just wait it out and the deal will come to you.

Warning: Memory is EXPENSIVE. A 32meg flash kit is about $100. DRAM is expensive also.
    Buy the unit ready to go, otherwise you will get nickled/dimed to death.

This looks like a GREAT unit for PBX (CAS signalling, etc.) emulation, with a backend connection to the PSTN (via the integrated channelized T1).

It is also a good PSTN box for servivable PSTN dial around an IP network. I will be testing this out later next week. Right now I am focussing on my next CCVP test.
  • Options
    Update.....
    The IAD2421 supports SRST (the VG200 and MC3810 do not)!
    This is great! I thought I was going to have to buy another 26xxXM or 2800 router!
    ....now if I can only figure out the Licencing?
    The "groupable" channalized T1 modules that is needed for mulitple-trunk SRST fallback for the 26xx chassis cost $$$....
    My IAD2421 has one integrated T1, and will support a 2nd (One for SRST local PSTN fallback and the other for SRST Long-Distance provider fallback??? Hmmmmm.).

This box offeres some nice features that are not available with my MC3810 and VG200 gateways.

More toys to play with within reach of my budget!