VLAN & VTP between Cisco & Dlink Switches

shanfishanfi Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all... :D

I understand that there could be no two Servers on a VTP Domain. My question is how I can make sure that a DLINK manageable is not a VTP Server. OR Is VTP a Cisco Proprietary? If yes... is there any way to share VLAN Database between a Cisco Switch and a Dlink Switch...
icon_confused.gif

Thanks...
Regards,

Sanfeer

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VTP is a Cisco proprietary technology. Typically other vendors can't use it unless they purchase a license from Cisco
  • shanfishanfi Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To gojericho0: Thanks for your quick response...

I agree that VTP is a Cisco proprietary.. in that case.. how can we share a VLAN Database between a Cisco and non-Cisco?

Apart, I would also interested to know how to configure a Trunk port between these two switches..

Thanks..
    Regards,

Sanfeer
    I'm not too familiar with DLINK, but do they have commands to manually create VLANs? You are more then likely going to have to do this since it will not support VTP.

Check out the link below with regards to creating vlans and trunking.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=29803
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is probably done through 802.1q right?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • shanfishanfi Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes.. Dlink do have some commands to configure VLAN. Unfortunatly, I am also not too familiar with D-Link but i have to complete this job... icon_rolleyes.gif

It is true that we have to use 802.1q encapsulation. But how can i configure trunk..! icon_cry.gif

And share how can i share my VLAN Database... or should i go to each switch and configure VLAN?
    Regards,

Sanfeer
    I'd go to each switch and configure the vlans. If the commands are the same i'd write it in note pad and copy and paste the config

For trunking you will need to enable it on the VLAN. What are your switch models? They will need to support dot1q in order to trunk with the dcom switches
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    assign switchport on Cisco switch to whatever VLAN you want then plug the unmanageable DLINK into this port..... All port on the DLINK will then be a member of the access VLAN configured on the Cisco switch....

I hate using unmanageable switches...... try to keep them out of my enterprise network at all costs!!! :D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Chris KnightChris Knight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shanfi wrote:
    Hi all... :D

I understand that there could be no two Servers on a VTP Domain. My question is how I can make sure that a DLINK manageable is not a VTP Server. OR Is VTP a Cisco Proprietary? If yes... is there any way to share VLAN Database between a Cisco Switch and a Dlink Switch...
    icon_confused.gif

Thanks...

It is quite possible to two vtp servers coexisting within the same management domain. Its recommended for redundancy.The servers do not elect a primary or secondary server; they all simply function as
    servers. If one server is configured with a new VLAN or VTP parameter, it advertises the
    changes to the rest of the domain. All other servers synchronize their VTP databases to this
    advertisement, just as any VTP client would.

Since VTP is cisco proprietary, I dont think there is away
    "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    DLINK is ****, do yourself a favour and throw it in the garbage.
    Now working full time!