Options

Which networking degree program do you think is better?

DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok I have a choice between two degree programs.

Their program maps are here:
http://businessandit.uoit.ca/EN/main/96618/140839/141098/148764.html
AND
http://www.bitdegree.ca/index.php?Section=Info&Item=NET

Looking at the courses being taught, which do you think is better. Please the Univ reputation and all that to me. I just want your opinion on which program's courses look better.

Thank You

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The first one looks more Cisco oriented if that's the route you want to go. The second one seem to give you a much more broad range of courses IMO.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The answer to that question is going to depend alot on what you want to do in IT? Can you tell us what your short and long term IT goals are?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't looked at the details, but it seems to me a purely networking degree is somewhat overdue. One of the problems is the body of staff behind the formulation of academic programmes often teach what they are comfortable with based on their own experience. The net result can be old techniques and methodologies taught to students. I recall when I entered university years ago we were being trained up to be systems analysts..but the market had since moved on and there were no jobs in those areas anymore.

Whatever you decide to do, ensure that the syllabus is current.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first one has general IT classes and Cisco class, but it also has more open electives.

The second one has a wider variety of IT classes, but few open electives.

Personally, I like the first one because it focuses more on one area and has the open electives, but you have to go with what is best for you.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    I cant believe that the first degree program is going to teach you up to 4x CCIE level. I know they are electives but still. Youve only just learned CCNA and its going to bring you up to CCNP and then 4xCCIE level? Where is the real-world experience? Amazing. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ...And that is where the devaluation of a certification will begin.
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    4 CCIE and CCNP in 4 years....good luck with that...hahaha

As well as completing regular college courses???

Is that humanly possible?

You can bang out a CCIE in 2 years, but not with other courses such as Discrete Math, English, Econ, and the rest of the regular curriculum.

Most people that study for CCIE is full time job.

Thanks
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hetty wrote:
    I cant believe that the first degree program is going to teach you up to 4x CCIE level. I know they are electives but still. Youve only just learned CCNA and its going to bring you up to CCNP and then 4xCCIE level? Where is the real-world experience? Amazing. icon_eek.gif

yea, a "4xCCIE LEVEL" does not equate to 4xCCIE Certification... icon_rolleyes.gif

VERY MISLEADING!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok I have a choice between two degree programs.

Their program maps are here:
    http://businessandit.uoit.ca/EN/main/96618/140839/141098/148764.html
    AND
    http://www.bitdegree.ca/index.php?Section=Info&Item=NET

Looking at the courses being taught, which do you think is better. Please the Univ reputation and all that to me. I just want your opinion on which program's courses look better.

Thank You

UOIT ??? Carleton University ??? Choose a different school... that is my first advice.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    mengo17 wrote:
    UOIT ??? Carleton University ??? Choose a different school... that is my first advice.

Ohhhhh burn! Actually, I haven't looked too much into Carletons program but I've always thought they offered some strong specializations in networking.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    Wel i am not completely sure about what exactly i want to do. For the time being i think its networking.

what i like about the uoit degree is that it has project management and other non technical stuff as well. Secondly i can choose betwen security and netwrking and i will have an year to make that choice and i can also go upto masters level. I am a bit worried that the stuff taught in carleton will get obsolete within a few years. The only thing which i think might get obsolete at uoit wud be the cisco stuff.

uoit and carleton arent good? Hmmm wud u plz suggest another offering a similar course please?
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    snadam wrote:
    yea, a "4xCCIE LEVEL" does not equate to 4xCCIE Certification... icon_rolleyes.gif
    VERY MISLEADING!
    Sorry mate, how is what I said misleading? It says 2 CCIE electives in one semester, and the remaining CCIE electives in both the last 2 semesters. I didnt say they were labs or the full certifications, but surely these are the written exams at the very least, 4 of them. Im sure you must pass them also, they are not sit in the back and take notes classes.

Dingdongbubble, I would go with the first if you want to go with some Cisco, and the second one if you want to go with more general theory.
  • Options
    Does anyone know a better univ in Canada?