STUDY METHODS

NEED some input on some new study methods.

just recently failed 70-290 while I understand the material the simulations beat me down

i read the material like it was the law school admissions test and i feel i went too deep into the theory side and not enough into the practical side.

To my question. What video series are best to combine with transcenders.

i am thinking of this study method
1. test objectives from microsoft webpage
2. cram session exam notes
3.transcender and videos
4 ms press or other recommended source

only will read ms press around the week before scheduled test

any suggestions or thoughts on a different way of studying

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're good on the theory, the MS Press book should be enough for you at this point. They have exercises at the end of most sections that you can work through. If you can do everything in the book, you shouldn't have any problems on the exam.

If you feel like you're still weak in some areas, supplement with whatever resources you deem appropriate.

I usually do 1, 3, and 4 for my exams, and I use CBT Nuggets for the video portion.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Use the product(s) you're being tested on. In this day and age with virtualization, it's easier now than it ever was. To get your hands on the software, if you can't get it through your job or something, check out the Microsoft Action Pack. $300/yr, and you get virtually everything you'd need for most Microsoft exams that are within the MCSE/MCITP tracks.
    Good luck to all!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's the difference between the action pack and the Technet download subscription (which is what I have)?
  • CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Read // Read Again // Video // Lab - REPEAT

I found CBT Nuggets to be a good source for videos.
    MAPS allows use in a production environment legally speaking. It also comes with marketing materials you may find useful if you're a consultant.

Technet is unlimited trials of the software plus access to more technical documentation and a few free support calls.
    Good luck to all!
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    I keep seeing posts about cbt nuggets they are quite pricey... any suggestions on a more reasonable video series.... any thoughts on preplogic videos
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RATTLERMAN wrote:
    NEED some input on some new study methods.

just recently failed 70-290 while I understand the material the simulations beat me down

i read the material like it was the law school admissions test and i feel i went too deep into the theory side and not enough into the practical side.

To my question. What video series are best to combine with transcenders.

i am thinking of this study method
    1. test objectives from microsoft webpage
    2. cram session exam notes
    3.transcender and videos
    4 ms press or other recommended source

only will read ms press around the week before scheduled test

any suggestions or thoughts on a different way of studying

You have to get hands on. I was experienced in Netware 3.12 but studied for Netware 5. I built a server at work but had no time on works time to work with it as I was far too busy supporting users on my network. I could not afford the expense of building a PC lab at home at the time, and even if I could I was getting home too late after work to do anything with it.

I compensated as best I could by studying the theory to death from books, consuming many hours reading endlessly on my commutes to and from work. When it came to the tests, I was completely unprepared for the simulations. On each occasion I had to take the test twice to pass these tests.

You are working with notes, books, videos and practice questions. It's not enough. There is no substitute for hands on experience and with VMWare you do not have to total your home PC to practice anymore. Back then I would have needed two PC's..one for a Novell server and another as a Netware client and another for my home PC! PC's were 1000 dollars a pop back then! Today you can keep the home PC running sweetly and run VMs to practice.

I suggest you invest in VMWare and spend 6 weeks doing practical exercises to prepare for your exam.

Good Luck!
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 on Trainsignal, I would suggest mirroring all the lab practive video you watch...
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    The video training and the vmware is most likely the route Iam going to take. From what I can gather the best way for me to approach these tests

1. study based on msft test objectives
    2. key terms and concepts in outline form...I learn better when I read a topic and and outline the chapters and make a study sheet
    3.videos and practice labs
    4 technotes from this site and msft website
    5. pray
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    And for any IT exam you take, I think "repeition" is important. Keep going through the books again and again..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey There,

Interesting read on what others are experiencing...

I spent a great deal of time recently trying to improve my study methods. I got tired of trying to improve upon my re-call and re-learning or re-reading material. So, read a bit about how to improve my recollection of facts/data and I am trying the Mnemosyne and SuperMemo software to see if I can improve my recollection of the facts. I think a 95% recollection rate would be helpful, but as Turgon said..real world experiences/intuition cannot be accounted for in only a book or simulation.

I am going to take the 70-290 exam in a few weeks. I am also studying for a JLPT (language proficency) test later this year for work in Japan...ugh. At least from the language study perspective, I am memorizing about 30 words a day and some Kanji. It seemed I improved alot after the spaced repitition study methods.

I can relate again to Turgon. In the past, I spent too much time having to do "busywork" to support the network and manage multiple projects and in general just get things done..much less find time to study during my off time.

I am using a few 2003 Server and core requirement books, online resources and was thinking to purchase some of Trainsignals MS video tutorial sets.

It seems like though on the tests at least 10-20% of the questions are technically related to experience only and not something you may find in the book. I felt like most of my answers were guesses..weither I passed or not..(and I hate guessing..I would rather know the answer.)

By the way, is anyone using SuperMemo or Mnemosyne and has an text/notes database they have created for any of the exams?

Thanks!