Options

Experiences with IT Internship?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I'm curious at any experiences you guys have with IT internships you guys may of gotten from your school? A fellow student told me about it after I told him I was unemployed and he told me to ask a professor about it. I wasn't able to contact the professor in charge of the program (I'm working on it) but I'm really looking forward to it.

So, do you guys think this is a better way to start out in IT rather then trying for a Help Desk job? So far, monster hasn't gave me any hits on anything IT since an A+ and no relevant job experience (pushing carts and selling computer doesn't count I believe icon_redface.gif ) doesn't seem very appetizing to employers, except for insurance salesman job offers icon_rolleyes.gif .

With the recession in full swing it has me really on edge about getting anything during the summer, I could try working full time during the summer but after those three months I don't want anything over part time, which seems impossible outside internship for IT related jobs. The exception could be Firedog at Circuit City, which is just like a help desk position but its also Circuit City's equivalent to Geeksquad with the exception that they don't make you sell computers.

I just hope there wont be any catches with the internship, who knows what the recession could do nowadays.

Comments

• Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Talic wrote:
    I'm curious at any experiences you guys have with IT internships you guys may of gotten from your school? A fellow student told me about it after I told him I was unemployed and he told me to ask a professor about it. I wasn't able to contact the professor in charge of the program (I'm working on it) but I'm really looking forward to it.

So, do you guys think this is a better way to start out in IT rather then trying for a Help Desk job? So far, monster hasn't gave me any hits on anything IT since an A+ and no relevant job experience (pushing carts and selling computer doesn't count I believe icon_redface.gif ) doesn't seem very appetizing to employers, except for insurance salesman job offers icon_rolleyes.gif .

With the recession in full swing it has me really on edge about getting anything during the summer, I could try working full time during the summer but after those three months I don't want anything over part time, which seems impossible outside internship for IT related jobs. The exception could be Firedog at Circuit City, which is just like a help desk position but its also Circuit City's equivalent to Geeksquad with the exception that they don't make you sell computers.

I just hope there wont be any catches with the internship, who knows what the recession could do nowadays.

Internships are a great way to gain experience but be prepared to be treated like an intern. Possible "catches" include the following: A) Lack of respect from your co-workers, B) limited responsibility, C) No benefits and minimal pay.

Personally, I found the internship process to be a beneficial one. I guess it depends on the company you're working for. Use your schools employment resources to the fullest! With the schools help you can do better than Circuit City!
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    There are MANY internship opportunities in the U.S. Bleow is a link to a post that I linked to some.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32991

Not all internships are for the Summer with low wages and no responsibility. Many of the internships are for developing college graduates into the leaders and empployees that company wants them to be. They offer competitive salaries, a automatic promotion ladder for increased responsibility as they develop you, etc. Just go to any company or organization that you can think of and check out their site or give them a call to inquire about internships. Don't settle for less or more convenient routes for internships.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What about your professors? Are you close to any of them? Many of great contacts from being in the field and may be able to give you some advice on what to try
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    A majority of my professors I've asked about it point toward the one in charge of the internship program, one didn't even know about it when I was asking him about it. I was also surprised none had any contacts, kinda odd if you ask me but I guess thats what the program is for.

I'll see about any companies that might have any internship programs but I'm not sure if I can do better then the school ran program. My father does service some machines for some pretty large companies so maybe I'll change my approach and ask around for internship rather then a regular job.

As for lack of respect, I can probably put up with it if it gives good experience, I'll probably need to be shown things for a while I would think. I'm probably not ready for a lot of responsibility either, I'm not going to be very good with Active Directory until I get a few Microsoft classes in; I'm going to be focusing on Linux/Unix for the next three semesters. I just hope the company they stick me in/find wont have just Windows servers icon_rolleyes.gif .

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to put them to good use. I found it funny to get a internship with the FBI and Microsoft but I understand to ask local companies to find out about anything they might have. Microsoft probably wouldn't want me since I'm going to be studying linux icon_lol.gif I can imagine the questions they would ask me, "what Microsoft certification are you going for first?" "Ugh... none, I'm doing my Linux+"
  • Options
    techaustechaus Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First post (hey everyone)

I'm currently doing an internship ending in May when I graduate. It's at a library so it's entirely voluntary (unpaid) but it's been well-worth it. I was able to get some first-hand experience in many new topics and advance some skills that were a little rusty. Plus an obvious resume-booster.

How I got it: My professor had the network administrator at the library come into class to do a presentation on some real-life situations and whatnot. Afterwards I talked with him and gave him my resume and started the following semester. I would say if you are close with some of your professors, ask them if they have any ideas or contacts for you.

The statement about lack of respect/less responsibility/minimal pay is probably true in most cases though (except in my case I haven't been shown a lack of respect).

Good luck.

Certs: Network+
    Working On: Security+
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think this is a MUCH better way to fast track to a decent admin job than starting out on the helpdesk, personally. Yeah, you're getting paid little if anything in up front compensation, but you're getting paid in quality of experience, which is far more valuable early on.

Anyone who turns down such an opportunity as a student seriously wanting to move forward in their career is making a huge mistake. Kudos to you for getting on board.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get an internship if at all possible -- it is VERY important once you graduate. Just about all of my interviews after I graduated were a result of a summer internship I had the previous year. I landed a great job pretty much as soon as I graduated because of my 3 month internship.

You don't necessarily have to go through your school while looking for a summer internship, either. You could always check job listings or call HR departments and ask if there are any internship openings.

Internships might pay minimum wage, but the true value is the experience you can put on your resume once you graduate.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)