Options

Credits

cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
I plan on sitting my CEH soon, then SSCP, and CISSP. My question is about the continuing education credits. The three above mentioned certs require you accumulate a certain amount within three years. I will use two fro my example.

I earn my CEH and SSCP. Each require 60 CEC's be fulfilled within 3 years. Does that mean I would need 120 total, or would the 60 count toward both? In other words, add the CISSP to the picture and I don't think I will have time to earn that many credits!!

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    First of all, the CEH is administered by a different standards organization than the SSCP and CISSP, so you will be able to "double dip" the CPE's you submit to both the EC-Council and the (ISC)2--although this doesn't mean that all CPE's are acceptable by both organizations. What I don't know is if the (ISC)2 allows the same CPE's to be applied to both the SSCP and CISSP certs, or they must all be from unique sources. 180 CPE's total for both the SSCP and CISSP doesn't seem unreasonable for a full-time InfoSec professional, but it would sure be nice if they could be doubled-up. I'll email (ISC)2 Services and ask.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Ok please forgive my ignorance...

But I look all around the CEH portion of the E-C council web page. I don't see anything about needing continuing education credits to maintain the certificate status....

can some one please send me a link?

I know that sounds lame considering I just passed the test...
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That was the first I had heard of that as well. I don't see it mentioned anywhere on their site, including in their FAQ.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From the FAQ: http://www.eccouncil.org/faq.htm
    Do I have to recertify?
    From December 2007 onwards, CEH certification will be valid for 3 years. You will need to earn EC-Council Continuing Education Credits (ECE) to maintain the certification. Please visit http://www.eccouncil.org/ece.htm for more information.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought I was losing my mind for a second there. They don't list that on their CEH faq here: http://www.eccouncil.org/ceh-faq.htm

Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I couldn't find it at first, but know it was there somewhere. Ended up having to use Google to find it.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Ya I was going nuts trying to find it as well. Thanks for the link.

I hope I can apply other cert studies to satisfy this one.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    Here's a thread about it from a year ago at www.ethicalhacker.net.

Oh, I posted this info in another thread, but apparently the (ISC)2 does allow the same earned CPE credits to be applied to both the SSCP and CISSP by a person holding both certs, but the CPEs must be claimed for each cert individually.
  • Options
    cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's what they sent me:

You will need 120 points to maintain your certification every 3 years. Depending on the subject matter, points will be allocated across both the exams. The deciding factor will be the difference in points awarded. There are no annual payments currently.