Options

Start my new job tomorrow(Monday)

124»

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Woohoo! Good deal Ghaleon. I'm glad to hear things are going good for you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know the job market isn't good right now and that it may be hard if you have a family, but moving to an area with more jobs seems to be the way to go.

Finally got my HP voucher, so I can take the exam for free soon. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    mklaromklaro Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good to hear you got a FT job and it al worked out for you. IT can be a tough and demanding job sometimes and someone who has to ride a bike 10miles before even dealing with that says a lot about the persons character.

Good job man and keep it up.
  • Options
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/KGhaleon/JobReward.jpg

Got some free stuff today. A pen, bag, and a card/thumbdrive holder thingie.

yup
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/KGhaleon/JobReward.jpg

Got some free stuff today. A pen, bag, and a card/thumbdrive holder thingie.

yup

Very cool man. Glad things are going great for you. I remember seeing this thread a long time ago and you were pretty nervous. Cool Beans on your success!
  • Options
    bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A recruiter I've been dealing with called yesterday and told me about a desktop support/help desk job in Huntsville working at Northrop Grumman. Its a contract job but I desperately hope I get it. Ive been trying to get my foot in the door in Huntsville for a few years now. It would be great to get out of the place im at now. Low pay and not too great of a company. Is NG a good place to work at? Ive got BS, A+, Net+, a year professional experience, and one test shy of completing MCSA on 2003.
  • Options
    Northrop is a great place to work with good benefits if you become a permanent employee, though it can be intimidating at first if you aren't some experienced 10-year computer support vet. Depending on where you work, you may have to support Execs, mechanics, engineers, etc. I don't do any helpdesk, mainly desktop support and networking(helping the network admin with some projects right now). Though I do respond to trouble tickets and troubleshoot systems remotely at times.

They will probably phone interview you. Make sure you are knowledgeable and up-to-date on things related to desktop support and know how to troubleshoot issues with:

Desktops, Laptops, Blackberries, Outlook, microsoft office, etc. We have well over a hundred apps used here, but you aren't required to know and troubleshoot each one. Even if you don't know about installing plotters or blackberries, just make sure you are honest and the interviewer knows that you are willing to learn. Just don't make him think they'll have to train you for a while...because I've found they don't like training new people in truth. ;)

Go for it.
  • Options
    Just posting to say that I'm still working and it's become invaluable work experience. My work load has doubled now, as I took over the job of one of our really old tech guys. They gave me a pretty large area to support and I'm waking every morning at 3AM. Sometimes I can't leave until 5PM, so I've got bags under my eyes all the time. :D

Yesterday there was a meeting and our manager of the western region for IT revealed a chart showing how many incidents were resolved by every individual in the entire IT sector of our company, and I came out on top as having resolved over 120 high priority matters this month alone. The second highest person resolved some 91 incidents. There were some other performance charts shown, but I pretty much leveled all of them.

Our site has the highest workload in the country, so I guess technically that makes me the hardest working Northrop tech in the country? :)
    *ego increases 10x* icon10.gif

Thanks Techexams for always being a source of useful knowledge.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Just posting to say that I'm still working and it's become invaluable work experience. My work load has doubled now, as I took over the job of one of our really old tech guys. They gave me a pretty large area to support and I'm waking every morning at 3AM. Sometimes I can't leave until 5PM, so I've got bags under my eyes all the time. :D

Yesterday there was a meeting and our manager of the western region for IT revealed a chart showing how many incidents were resolved by every individual in the entire IT sector of our company, and I came out on top as having resolved over 120 high priority matters this month alone. The second highest person resolved some 91 incidents. There were some other performance charts shown, but I pretty much leveled all of them.

Our site has the highest workload in the country, so I guess technically that makes me the hardest working Northrop tech in the country? :)
    *ego increases 10x* icon10.gif

Thanks Techexams for always being a source of useful knowledge.

Woot! You've worked hard for it bro. They're lucky you're there. Good man.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man, I remember reading this thread a while back. It's good to see how much has changed and how much you've endured. Congrats on your success! Hold your head up high, you've done a great job!
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    kentrgkentrg Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [q]I've learned that we are not actually copying whole profiles, but only data for each user. We find out what data the user needs, backup, then have the user logon to the new PC to generate the profile. We then copy the data into the new profile. Data includes .psts, favorites, etc. Pretty simple. We then install whatever software they require.[/q]

I've used to do the same thing for a large investment bank. Once you get familiar with what employees need backed up you can create batch script to copy those directories.

For example favorites, PST, outlook profile, My documents, Desktop, Printers, Favorite Places, can be easily backed up with a few clicks.
  • Options
    Yes, though I always make a note to ask users to backup/export their PKI certificates beforehand as I'm not sure if you can do that without going through IE.
  • Options
    Bummer, I should have taken the advise in this topic and got a car. I got into a bike accident while heading home this evening from work...and hit the pavement head first.

I staggered into a nearby supermarket and had to get them to call an ambulance. Half my face was bloody.
    Was in the hospital for a while, just got released. Have a huge scar over my left eye now and the whole area is swollen and black. icon_sad.gif

My neck hurts, tore the skin on my hands and knee...won't be back to work for a few days to heal. This sucks.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Bummer, I should have taken the advise in this topic and got a car. I got into a bike accident while heading home this evening from work...and hit the pavement head first.

I staggered into a nearby supermarket and had to get them to call an ambulance. Half my face was bloody.
    Was in the hospital for a while, just got released. Have a huge scar over my left eye now and the whole area is swollen and black. icon_sad.gif

My neck hurts, tore the skin on my hands and knee...won't be back to work for a few days to heal. This sucks.

Helmet or no helmet?

What caused the accident?
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod

Sorry to hear that !! But accidents happen, be it bike or car.

Get well soon !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com