Options

Keeping yourself busy

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
Now, I don't have a lot to do at my work when my boss isn't here.
He's not here at all this week and my coworker is leaving at 3.

I need to keep myself occupied for 3 - 5 (productively)...

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Study tech notes? Are you allowed to install anything? Setup a VM for playing around with Server 2003. Grab some of the cheap pdfs from Syngress and read those.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Get your self an account at http://safari.oreilly.com, loads to keep you going there icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to stick with the building trend and say study, if your work allows the time for it and you won't get in trouble. Study for your certs, then you can show quantifiable results if anyone asks why you're spending so much time studying, when you come back from your exams with passing grades.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Now, I don't have a lot to do at my work when my boss isn't here.
    He's not here at all this week and my coworker is leaving at 3.

I need to keep myself occupied for 3 - 5 (productively)...

Any suggestions?

Go for one of the certs that you can take out in a reasonable time frame and study for that.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Downtime is a killer!

I think one of the most important aspects of any job is whether or not your company offers some kind of a continuing education plan. Something that allows you to use company resources (i.e., equipment, study materials, etc.) so you can work towards a certification or something. Otherwise you're just wasting your time, and at the end of the day your time is more valuable than company time.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I agree with others...use your time to read tech articles, study for certs, or study for college courses if your company is paying for it. I'm in the same boat as I get most of my work done in about 2 hours, if I have any. I decided to go back to college, so I can read and do homework to keep me occupied the rest of the time. My other time is spent staying up to date with latest news on technology and playing around with some VM's. Use your free time wisely at work. It will feel nice getting paid to do something that you would otherwise do on your own time. To go a step further, if this is a daily thing, I would talk to your boss to make sure it is okay that you do some studying when you get all of your work done. I spoke with my supervisor about the same, and he said he did it too...it's better than sitting around twiiddling your thumbs, or doing busy work that isn't meaningful.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It also might help to ask for more responsibilities/projects if you find you have nothing to do more often than not. I first started out with more than 50% of my time studying/reading, but that gets tedious quickly. I would much rather do something than read about it.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    It also might help to ask for more responsibilities/projects if you find you have nothing to do more often than not. I first started out with more than 50% of my time studying/reading, but that gets tedious quickly. I would much rather do something than read about it.

I had asked for more to do, but since my boss is out, I can't really do much. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    listen to music and chat on msn messenger icon_wink.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote:
    listen to music and chat on msn messenger icon_wink.gif

As much as I'd love to... I'd like to be productive. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What is your job?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    What is your job?

Help Desk Tech. (There's only 2 of us for our corporate office, 3 regional offices & 700-1000+ job sites.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Edit: Message for another thread got somehow put in this thread.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Downtime? Wow.

Me, www.vtc.com normally an hour after work.
    -Daniel