Options

Back in the Saddle Again

So I'm getting back on the cert-horse, after falling off and not studying since I passed CCNA last November. (Seems like ages ago, now that I think about it.) My plan is to get through 70-293, then 70-298, and finish off my MCSE with 70-294. So, I sit down and do a Transcender exam to see where I am without any studying. . .

42%

Ouch. . . my pride.

I guess it's back to putting my nose to the grindstone. I'm going to start off by doing the TestOut course for this exam, complementing each section with the corresponding CBT Nuggets videos. After that, working my way through the MS Press book, (yeah, I know,) and doing some lab-work with a couple of Virtual PC installs of Windows Server 2003. Considering that I passed 70-291 back in July of 2006, there's going to be some review for me, but it's been way too long between exams, and I'm paying the price now. To anyone studying these exams, take it from me, do not wait this long between related tests. Or, if possible, any tests.

Well, wish me luck. I'm getting back in the game, studying up for exams. First MCSE, then MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, then back to the Cisco forums for some of that good ol' CCNP quality-time. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't show us up more! We already have a long way to go compared to you. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Go on slowhand ride it like youve never rode it before!!!

Good luck man, keep us posted. im heading off into the cisco fairytale at the moment...
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Good luck, you know you'll nail it !
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    You had a good break, so you will make it!

Good luck!
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Amen on waiting to long. To a couple of years off. Then my company decided I should get 2k3 MCSE. Studied for two weeks and took the 70-292 upgrade exam. Scored a whopping 485. talk about a sledgehammper to the ego. The worst part is I thought I had done well prior to the score showing up. Now it's back to the books and labs to do it the hard way.

Good Luck. I'm sure you'll nail it.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. Hopefully, my work-conditions will change to leave me less drained at the end of every day, so that I can actually get some studying done. For now, though, I'm trudging my way through it. Hopefully, I won't have such a big gap between this exam and the next set. I guess this is an exercise in patience, as well as technical knowledge, since there are so many things I want to do.

I keep thinking about MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, CCNP, the journey back to school, and beyond. Sometimes I just have to tell myself "stay focused, you can look to the horizon later. Right now, you've got to study. . . no matter how much you feel like you should already have done this test years ago". But, that's how they getcha. I guess I have to consider this re-ascension up the MS infrastructure hill my penance for slacking off and not having carried through with this stuff back in '06.

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. Hopefully, my work-conditions will change to leave me less drained at the end of every day, so that I can actually get some studying done. For now, though, I'm trudging my way through it. Hopefully, I won't have such a big gap between this exam and the next set. I guess this is an exercise in patience, as well as technical knowledge, since there are so many things I want to do.

I keep thinking about MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, CCNP, the journey back to school, and beyond. Sometimes I just have to tell myself "stay focused, you can look to the horizon later. Right now, you've got to study. . . no matter how much you feel like you should already have done this test years ago". But, that's how they getcha. I guess I have to consider this re-ascension up the MS infrastructure hill my penance for slacking off and not having carried through with this stuff back in '06.

you and me both, but on a much lower and inferior level for me :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snadam wrote:
    you and me both, but on a much lower and inferior level for me :D

Nah, the only guys around that are inferior are the ones who qualify as chumps. icon_wink.gif

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is all the 293 material review for you? When do you plan on taking the test?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Nah, the only guys around that are inferior are the ones who qualify as chumps. icon_wink.gif

good point icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Is all the 293 material review for you? When do you plan on taking the test?
    A lot of it is, but there's plenty of new stuff to keep me busy. I'm green to clustering, for example. Essentially, since it's been so long since 70-291 and my initial tiny bit of reading for this exam, I'll have to treat the material as if though it was brand-new to me. As for scheduling the exam, I was hoping to be ready in a few weeks. I'd like to be able to sit for the exam early or mid-May.