Frame Relay Switch

svo4dot6svo4dot6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So i got my hands on 4 2620xm routers all with the Wic 1 DSU T1 cards installed and am looking to setup a frame relay switch now to link all 4. Any suggestions on hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it were me, I would sell the T1 cards and buy 3 or 4 WIC-1T's and a NM-4AS. I don;t think T1 cards are needed in a lab setup. Plus making a frame switch with T1 cards is going to be expensive if not impossible on a 2620. I'm not sure if a 2620 would support a 4 port T1 NM.

Maybe a couple VWIC-2MFT or possibly a NM-CEM-4TE1. <---Something to research

I'm not familier with Circuit Emulation networking, but it seems WAAY overkill for a lab. I'm sticking to my guns on getting rid of the T1 cards.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • romainromain Member Posts: 222
    A few lines on dynamips and bucks free...
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you could simulate it in dynamips buddy ;) check out the dynamips forums
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If 4x 2620XMs are available then why not make a real lab? Buy a 2522 or a NM-4A/S or a NM-8A/S and a few WIC-1T/WIC-2Ts. None of that should be that expensive and you'll get some experience with real hardware. You can always run Dynamips later anyway.
  • tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I setup my own frame-relay switch for my labs. I had an old 4500 with 2-4 Serial interfaces and some old CSU's. It worked great.

If you are using CSU's instead of DTE/DCE cables, you can make some T1 cross over cables:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a3f09.shtml

I've been using these at work for testing suspected bad CSU's.

For setting up the frame-relay switch try this:
    http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=170741&seqNum=7

It's been awhile since I've done it so I can't remember it off the top of my head.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A 2520 is a good way to go also.

I just picked one up for $5.00 on ebay. I'm not even working on FR right now, I just couldn't pass up the deal.

Another nice feature of the 2520 (besides 4 serial ports) is that it has an RJ45 ethernet interface and you don't need the transceiver.
  • CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    Netwurk wrote:

I just picked one up for $5.00 on ebay. I'm not even working on FR right now, I just couldn't pass up the deal.

Another nice feature of the 2520 (besides 4 serial ports) is that it has an RJ45 ethernet interface and you don't need the transceiver.

5 bucks, that's amazing! Had i been the seller i would've sooner left it on the curb than deal with all the fuss of Ebay for 5 dollars. That is the beauty of true auctions that start low!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CiscoCerts wrote:
    Netwurk wrote:

5 bucks, that's amazing! Had i been the seller i would've sooner left it on the curb than deal with all the fuss of Ebay for 5 dollars. That is the beauty of true auctions that start low!

I don't think he was happy as it took him two weeks to ship it. His problem was that he listed it under misc. network equipment instead of under Cisco. So not many people saw it.