exchange rules

amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
Hi guys!

We run exchange 2000 ( going 2007 by end of year ) and have some machines that run outlook 2000 ( again going office 2007 end of year ).

Now we have specific outside clients that send emails to our internal sales staff. I put rules on the sales staff that move the message into a specific public folder that all the sales staff can get too so anyone of them can action the clients request.

Now this works fine UNLESS the sales person is out then the rule doesnt run, so no one gets to see it in the sales public folder.

Im told we could use a server side rule but I cant see where to set one up. I think its by r/clicking the inbox, administration but this is all greyed out. Appently server side rules dont work if your using SMTP?

Any exchange gurus help me out please?

Cheers

Amy
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• GJBGJB Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Rules are created on the Users Mailbox

When you create an Outlook rule it will be called a Client Side rule or a Server Side rule depending on what the rule does.

If the Rule is somthing the Exchange Server can do (eg. Forward all email to joe.blogs) it is called a Server Side rule.

If its something that can only be done when Outlook is open (eg. Mark as read, forwad to joe, move to this folder) it is a Client side rule.

http://www.slipstick.com/rules/serverbased.htm - explains it better.

It might be eaiser to create a 'Sales' mailbox, and give the Sales group access to this mailbox
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In that scenario, a group box would prove more efficient.

Everyone can see all the client's e-mails. Clients have one POC e-mail address. Sales peeps can see which e-mails have been replied to and such.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    In that scenario, a group box would prove more efficient.

Everyone can see all the client's e-mails. Clients have one POC e-mail address. Sales peeps can see which e-mails have been replied to and such.
    +1
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    Hi,

Now on the back of this one we now have a public mailbox that all the sales team can see.

However when one person opens an email and reads/amends it from their outlook client , it still remains as unread to the other members of the team. Which means that other members of the sales team might then to also try and action it.

Are we missing something really simple? or is there a bug in exchange2000? is almost like a synchronization problem... icon_confused.gif

Any suggestions please?
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

Now on the back of this one we now have a public mailbox that all the sales team can see.

However when one person opens an email and reads/amends it from their outlook client , it still remains as unread to the other members of the team. Which means that other members of the sales team might then to also try and action it.

Are we missing something really simple? or is there a bug in exchange2000? is almost like a synchronization problem... icon_confused.gif

Any suggestions please?

Public folders are setup like that by default. There is an option that you can switch which reads something like "turn off message reading sharing between users" or SOMETHING like that. I haven't worked on Exchange in a while and don't have it at the new job so I can't go look it up for you.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929396

Here this will help you.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Exch 2007's Transport rules (which run on the transport server) are easier than dealing with outlook rules.