Options

What's the downside of switching to Comcast Business Select?

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
My company currently has a T1 through Speakeasy and we are looking to upgrade. We want to move over to VOIP and someone has brought up switching over to Comcast Business Select broadband or something. It's like $100 a month and she swears that at her house she gets fast speeds. But isn't it shared bandwidth and wouldn't we have latency problems with VOIP if we ever switched over to it?

I suggested going with bonded T1's from Speakeasy. Any advice if I should take her suggestion or stick with mine? We've been arguing to the boss (it's annoying since she is a web designer and he's taking her advice over mine), but is it the right one? Any pointers to fire back when we have our meeting tomorrow? I've been trying to do research on Comcast Business Internet vs. T1's but haven't come up with much. Other admins and consultants have told me not to, but haven't given me a thorough explanation.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Comcast downstream will smoke your T1. My home connection is something like 6 or 8mb while a T1 is only 1.5. My upstream is something like 2, but it might be better with the business service.

VOIP is definitely a concern. Have you contacted Comcast to see what they say/recommend? Maybe you can arrange some sort of a trial to see if it'll work for you.
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    ye that seems to b resonable...call up comcast and ask them for their advice on it ( i know they are there to sell their serivce)...but worth trying if u can convinence them in setting up a demo for u..
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Are you providing any external services...??? ( webpages / MMS ) If so you might want to look at dual solution... I know I have deployed something like that where you do a Policy Based Routing so that Internet goes out the Cable and the Services ( MAIL/VPN/WEB ) all go out the T1's... If you are just looking for Internet surfing then I would go with the Cable over T1 but if you are providing services then I would go with the T1...

Just my 2cents...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.