Should I take this job?

tweeter77tweeter77 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off my education:
Bachelors in MIS
(Will be taking Network+ next week)

Aspirations:
short term: Network tech or admin
long term: Business Analyst

I have been told that I interview well and have excellent people skills.

I have 3 months experience as a hardware tech / help desk (Paid $15 hr) but was laid off for budgetary reasons. I have managed to find another job that seems to be pure help desk and less challenging that pays $12 an hour, no benefits. I am having a hard time taking a job that pays less, but the job market in the town I live in is not that great.

Should I:
1. Ask them if they will pay more and take the job if they do.
2. Not take the job, collect unemployment, and try to get a better job through my contacts and/or job postings. Maybe focus on getting more certs, too.
3. Just take the job and keep an eye out for something better (keep in mind this job has less responsibility than my last).
4. Take the job and be happy to pad my resume with experience.

Thanks for any help. I just had to get some experts opinions :D

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could ask them for more, but you may or may not have luck with that. They would pay you more if you are worth that kind of money.

Personally, I was tired of being paid $12/hr or less and moved to California. :)
    Maybe go somewhere where IT is thriving?

I'd take it otherwise, $12/hr isn't bad depending on what kind of expensives you pay.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You need experience at this point. Anyway you can get it, get it. The reality is you'll find it a lot easier finding jobs that pay better, and even admin level jobs once you have a few years experience.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    3. Just take the job and keep an eye out for something better (keep in mind this job has less responsibility than my last).

you need the experience at the moment, study up while you're looking as well.
  • Options
    tweeter77tweeter77 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to take the job and will keep looking while I am there. At least it is experience.
  • Options
    nangananga Member Posts: 201
    option 3.....till u get a next job u can make out ur expensis from this job...and may b u wuld do good rnough for them to give u more responsibility
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tweeter77 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to take the job and will keep looking while I am there. At least it is experience.

Good choice! any experiance is better than no experiance. no offence but ive found that alot of people fresh out of uni believe they are going to walk into a high position like a net admin or something but some dont realise how patient you have to be and to gain as much experiance as possible. ive knew people like this first hand and it hasnt half given them a shock when they have to start at the "bottom" like the rest of us. So take the experiance in your stride and try to improve your prospects along the way.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking