Options

Western Governors University?

Comments

• Options
    s0c0s0c0 Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This thread might be dead, but hopefully some of you posters are still around. Wow I haven't posted on this site in years since I attempted my CCNA. I have since switched from Systems and Networking to Web Development and have landed a decent job making 45k. At 24, I have an AAS in Computer Network Systems from ITT. I would have completed my BS degree there but I was not overly impressed and shortly after landing a job in my field I began teaching myself PHP and fell in love with web development.

Being young I enrolled in a community college and am working towards my BS in Computer Science but taking only 6 credit hours a semester means it could take a while. Is WGU right for someone like me who doesn't want to to wait until they are 30 for a degree. I have about 3 years experience in the IT field (1 yr as a jr network admin and 2 yr as a web developer) so conceivably if the BS IT Software degree from WGU took 2 years I could have a BS and 5 years of IT experience under my belt which I feel could help land me a nice paying job, in the 65k - 100k range. The other thing I was thinking is getting a degree from a regular university in business after my WGU Software degree, I think that could really help me land a great job having a bachelors in IT and Business. I have a phone meeting with an enrollment counselor tomorrow and depending on how much of my AAS degree and course work from the community college transfers over I will probably enroll.

I'm a self taught programmer and due to the poor education at ITT a largely self taught Linux and networking guy. Will the WGU degree carry weight with my experience taken into account? What's been your experience? Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WGU looks impressive but for the BS in Network Security they have only Security I as the only security related course. Has anyone taken this degree path and if so how do you feel about the level of knowledge gained? How would you compare WGU to University of Advancing Technology's BS in Network Security degree? With WGU you get a cheaper degree with certs but UAT offers INFOSEC certified courses. I have 10+ years in IT mostly desktop support and jr network admin related work. I had already left the local community college because they weren't really teaching me anything (mostly adjunct professors with little to offer as teachers). What to do?
  • Options
    ats3ats3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've also been considering going to WGU but I've seen many negative reviews as well as many positive reviews. I read that the certification vouchers are included but what if you fail your certification exam? Do you have to go out and buy another voucher or does WGU give you another and how well do the courses prepare you for the exams?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    ats3 wrote: »
    I've also been considering going to WGU but I've seen many negative reviews as well as many positive reviews. I read that the certification vouchers are included but what if you fail your certification exam? Do you have to go out and buy another voucher or does WGU give you another and how well do the courses prepare you for the exams?
    If I recall correctly, WGU pays for up to two vouchers - if you fail twice, then I believe you foot the bill for the third (and any subsequent) shots. Not sure how good the preparation materials/courses are as I haven't gone there, but my understanding was that there are no structured courses per se...just recommended reading and some online tools and assignments which need to be completed.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, WGU pays for up to two vouchers - if you fail twice, then I believe you foot the bill for the third (and any subsequent) shots. Not sure how good the preparation materials/courses are as I haven't gone there, but my understanding was that there are no structured courses per se...just recommended reading and some online tools and assignments which need to be completed.

Thats correct. If you fail an exam then all you have to do is send them a copy of your score sheet and they'll issue you a new voucher. It usually take about a day to get the voucher.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a list of what certs credit for what fields in this thread... does anyone have a current one?
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ashenwelt wrote: »
    There is a list of what certs credit for what fields in this thread... does anyone have a current one?

Can you access this link: http://kb.wgu.edu/article.asp?article=1684&p=3? There are documents along the right side with credit transfer information.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks!
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I looked at them a few years ago before deciding to try a local B&M school for my bachelor's which I'm finishing in a few weeks. It's in Network Security & Forensics so the Masters in IA might be a good next step for me. Has anybody here had any experience with it yet?

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    7lowe wrote: »
    I think I looked at them a few years ago before deciding to try a local B&M school for my bachelor's which I'm finishing in a few weeks. It's in Network Security & Forensics so the Masters in IA might be a good next step for me. Has anybody here had any experience with it yet?

You might PM ssiphone here at TechExams. He is currently working on that degree. Actually, he may even have finished it.
  • Options
    spigetyspigety Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would anyone who is currently enrolled at WGU like to refer me?

I'm pretty sure they give you a gift card to Amazon or some place, plus I get to skip out on the application fee.
  • Options
    beaucarnesbeaucarnes Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    spigety, or anyone else for that matter-
    E-mail me at beaucarnes AT gmail DOT com and I will tell you what you have to do to be refered by me to WGU.
  • Options
    congomodelcongomodel Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everybody, I would like for you all to give me a little guidance. I am changing careers, and would really like to go into the computer field, hopefully working for a federal agency, though if I ever got an offer from Microsoft or one of the other large companies, I would jump on it. I do not have any computer experience. My question is which of the following online schools should I attend? I have looked at many of them, but I keep flip-flopping between Western Governors University and American Military University. I like the fact that at WGU, I would get the certifications along with a degree, but I have also heard the lack of grades in place of competencies can hurt a job applicant (this may not be true). Do the competencies make up for the lack of grades? At WGU I would major in Network Management and at AMU, it would be Network Security. I am just wondering if one is better for teaching beginning computer information to a newbie, or are they both pretty equal, with WGU being more self-taught and AMU teacher-led? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    congomodel wrote: »
    Hey everybody, I would like for you all to give me a little guidance. I am changing careers, and would really like to go into the computer field, hopefully working for a federal agency, though if I ever got an offer from Microsoft or one of the other large companies, I would jump on it. I do not have any computer experience. My question is which of the following online schools should I attend? I have looked at many of them, but I keep flip-flopping between Western Governors University and American Military University. I like the fact that at WGU, I would get the certifications along with a degree, but I have also heard the lack of grades in place of competencies can hurt a job applicant (this may not be true). Do the competencies make up for the lack of grades? At WGU I would major in Network Management and at AMU, it would be Network Security. I am just wondering if one is better for teaching beginning computer information to a newbie, or are they both pretty equal, with WGU being more self-taught and AMU teacher-led? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I know little about American Military University. I would say that Western Governor's University has a better reputation, and price tag for that matter. WGU has also treated me very nicely, and professionally. I would suggest calling them and talking to them about their programs. WGU will force you to learn IT because of the certifications within the program.
  • Options
    acjacj Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I was just wondering, because of the fact that I am will start as a independent (international) consultant I would like to get a Master degree in IT.
    The problem is off course that because of my work I will not be able to attend normal classes and need to get it by distance learning.

Another problem is that I live in Europe and English is not my first language, almost all schools ask for a separate proof of English language and I have problems with some of my other study results (I hold a bachelor in a Dutch private business school (life assurance and pensions), but is not accredit by the most non Dutch schools).
    I have a lot of IT certificates:

Prince 2 Foundation, Practitioner
    IT Service Management Foundation (based on ITIL)
    IT Service Manager (ITIL V2)
    ITIL V3 Expert
    IT Service Manager: Service Support (ITIL V2)
    IT Service Manager: Service Delivery (ITIL V2)
    ITIL V3 Managers Bridge
    AMBI HX2 – The organization and coherence of ICT Management (Exin)
    Academy Foundation Certificate (Exin)
    Certificate in IT Project Management (Exin)
    Certificate in Test Management (Exin)
    Certificate Information Security Administration based on ISO/IEC 27002 (Exin)
    Certificate in Application Management (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Business Information Administration (Exin)
    Advanced Certificate in IT Project Management (Exin)
    Advanced Certificate in Information Security Management based on ISO/IEC 27002 (Exin)
    Advanced Certificate in Test Management (TMap next) (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in IT Management (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in ISM according to ISO/IEC 20000 (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF) (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Application Services Library (ASL) (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Business Information Management (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Test Management (TMap next) (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Information Systems (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Project Participation (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Infrastructure Management (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Information Systems Design and Development (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Object Orientation (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Databases and SQL (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Hardware and Network Components (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Information Security (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Professional Communication (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Help Desk Professional (Exin)
    Praktijk Diploma Informatica (Exin)
    Start Track Certificate (Exin)
    AMBI I1, MB2, PDI MG1, 2 (Exin)
    Functional design (Cap Gemini)
    Cobol/CICS/DB2/JCL (Cap Gemini)
    Microsoft Windows Vista: Configuration (70-620)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Active Directory Configuration (70-640)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Network Infrastructure Configuration (70-642)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Applications Infrastructure Configuration (70-643)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Enterprise Administrator (70-647)
    Microsoft Desktop Support – Enterprise (70-622)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-based Client Development (70-52icon_cool.gif
    CompTIA: Security+
    CompTIA: Project+

Doing some other Microsoft exams this and next month.

Does anyone here know if this will work for WGU and they will accept me for there Master?
    Any idea what will be my ‘missing’ parts that I have to take?
    In my opinion my understanding of the English language must be enough because of passing a lot of my exams that are in English.

I am working in the IT for more then 10 years as a consultant, project manager, etc.
  • Options
    acj wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering, because of the fact that I am will start as a independent (international) consultant I would like to get a Master degree in IT.
    The problem is off course that because of my work I will not be able to attend normal classes and need to get it by distance learning.

Another problem is that I live in Europe and English is not my first language, almost all schools ask for a separate proof of English language and I have problems with some of my other study results (I hold a bachelor in a Dutch private business school (life assurance and pensions), but is not accredit by the most non Dutch schools).
    I have a lot of IT certificates:

Prince 2 Foundation, Practitioner
    IT Service Management Foundation (based on ITIL)
    IT Service Manager (ITIL V2)
    ITIL V3 Expert
    IT Service Manager: Service Support (ITIL V2)
    IT Service Manager: Service Delivery (ITIL V2)
    ITIL V3 Managers Bridge
    AMBI HX2 – The organization and coherence of ICT Management (Exin)
    Academy Foundation Certificate (Exin)
    Certificate in IT Project Management (Exin)
    Certificate in Test Management (Exin)
    Certificate Information Security Administration based on ISO/IEC 27002 (Exin)
    Certificate in Application Management (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Business Information Administration (Exin)
    Advanced Certificate in IT Project Management (Exin)
    Advanced Certificate in Information Security Management based on ISO/IEC 27002 (Exin)
    Advanced Certificate in Test Management (TMap next) (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in IT Management (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in ISM according to ISO/IEC 20000 (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF) (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Application Services Library (ASL) (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Business Information Management (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Test Management (TMap next) (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Information Systems (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Project Participation (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Infrastructure Management (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Information Systems Design and Development (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Object Orientation (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Databases and SQL (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Hardware and Network Components (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Information Security (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Professional Communication (Exin)
    Foundation Certificate in Help Desk Professional (Exin)
    Praktijk Diploma Informatica (Exin)
    Start Track Certificate (Exin)
    AMBI I1, MB2, PDI MG1, 2 (Exin)
    Functional design (Cap Gemini)
    Cobol/CICS/DB2/JCL (Cap Gemini)
    Microsoft Windows Vista: Configuration (70-620)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Active Directory Configuration (70-640)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Network Infrastructure Configuration (70-642)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Applications Infrastructure Configuration (70-643)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Enterprise Administrator (70-647)
    Microsoft Desktop Support – Enterprise (70-622)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-based Client Development (70-52icon_cool.gif
    CompTIA: Security+
    CompTIA: Project+

Doing some other Microsoft exams this and next month.

Does anyone here know if this will work for WGU and they will accept me for there Master?
    Any idea what will be my ‘missing’ parts that I have to take?
    In my opinion my understanding of the English language must be enough because of passing a lot of my exams that are in English.

I am working in the IT for more then 10 years as a consultant, project manager, etc.

I would just call them and ask. They are very friendly.

Western Governors University
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□

WGU only accepts US and some Canadian students currently.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    WGU only accepts US and some Canadian students currently.

I didn't realize that.
  • Options
    Some other suggestions of schools then?
    That are also ‘price affordable of course’.
  • Options
    Some other suggestions of schools then?
    That are also ‘price affordable of course’.
    Are you looking for online school or brick & mortar? Do you have any classes under your belt already? What type of degree & what specialization are you looking for?

• Options
    must be online (easy when I am 'on the road')
    MBA IT Management or similar
  • Options
    There really aren't a lot of online masters programs that are in the price range of WGU. Beside the solely-online schools, you can check out brick & mortar schools that offer online programs. I'd start with local colleges and universities with online programs and go from there...

• Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fort Hays State University.

Type it into google and look at their programs. Regionally accredited, very cheap.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    thanks for the tip
  • Options

You might check out Welcome to Baker College
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been looking into going with WGU or Devry. I really can not make up my mind but I do like that WGU does offer the certifications. I already have many certifications behind my belt. I do like Devry gives you hands on expierence through labs through citrix to there systems. I am not exactly sure what school to choose from.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I have been looking into going with WGU or Devry. I really can not make up my mind but I do like that WGU does offer the certifications. I already have many certifications behind my belt. I do like Devry gives you hands on expierence through labs through citrix to there systems. I am not exactly sure what school to choose from.

As I have said in previous posts, you will want to do your own research before deciding on a school. For me, the deciding factor was the endorsement of the Florida Department of Education for WGU, along with meeting a few individuals from HP and EMC that graduated from WGU and who were currently in middle management positions.

That being said I have also worked with a very intelligent fellow from Devry, as I have also worked with graduates from Univ. of Phoenix, AIU, and ITT. Consider the following when selecting your school:

1. Are the school and the degree track accredited?
    2. Does the degree track fit your long term career objectives?
    3. Are you able to meet the financial obligations?
    4. What is the graduation rate for the degree track?
    5. How reputable is the institute?
    6. Will your previous coursework and/or certifications transfer?

etc, etc etc. Regardless of the institute that you choose, by finishing your degree you have already made a great decision to further your career.

Good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    hicham75hicham75 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am looking for a referral to get my application fee waived for WGU. if anyone wants a chance at $50 from Amazon shoot me a PM. The information I will need is at the bottom of the form on WGU - Education Online - Refer-A-Friend Form
  • Options
    hicham75hicham75 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    please anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am looking for a referral to get my application fee waived for WGU. if anyone wants a chance at $50 from Amazon shoot me a PM. The information I will need is at the bottom of the form on WGU - Education Online - Refer-A-Friend Form
  • Options
    hicham75 wrote: »
    please anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Check out WGU Student Hall

I haven't started any classes with them yet.