Options

Western Governors University?

Comments

• Options
    spigetyspigety Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hicham75 wrote: »
    I am looking for a referral to get my application fee waived for WGU. if anyone wants a chance at $50 from Amazon shoot me a PM. The information I will need is at the bottom of the form on WGU - Education Online - Refer-A-Friend Form

If you or anyone else need a referral feel free to get in contact with me (spigety -at- gmail dot com) and I'll set you up with the proper information.

^^ Hey, I've been to the Prometric testing center at Greenville Tech a couple times, nice place. Do you work in the city?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    spigety wrote: »
    If you or anyone else need a referral feel free to get in contact with me (spigety -at- gmail dot com) and I'll set you up with the proper information.

^^ Hey, I've been to the Prometric testing center at Greenville Tech a couple times, nice place. Do you work in the city?

Yes, I work in the City of Greenville. I sent you a PM.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been following this thread for a while. Going through the admissions process now for the Master's of Science in Info Sec. and Assurance. Unfortunately I neglected to read about the refer a friend and already paid the application fee icon_sad.gif

Had not thought I would be approaching a graduate degree at this point. I knew I wanted to, but wanted to take a bit more time away from academic study to earn some certifications. Unfortunately with my impending divorce and legal fee's related to that I won't be able to afford entering repayment on my loans I took for my bachelors degree. Guess it's time to go back and work on my masters to defer those loans!
  • Options
    I've been following this thread for a while. Going through the admissions process now for the Master's of Science in Info Sec. and Assurance. Unfortunately I neglected to read about the refer a friend and already paid the application fee icon_sad.gif

Had not thought I would be approaching a graduate degree at this point. I knew I wanted to, but wanted to take a bit more time away from academic study to earn some certifications. Unfortunately with my impending divorce and legal fee's related to that I won't be able to afford entering repayment on my loans I took for my bachelors degree. Guess it's time to go back and work on my masters to defer those loans!

I would check with them and see if you can still get the Recommend-a-Friend. There is also the nice benefit of getting a $50 gift certificate if you recommend someone else icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    hicham75hicham75 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    need referral anyone please pm me thanksicon_sad.gif
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    WGU looks impressive but for the BS in Network Security they have only Security I as the only security related course. Has anyone taken this degree path and if so how do you feel about the level of knowledge gained? How would you compare WGU to University of Advancing Technology's BS in Network Security degree? With WGU you get a cheaper degree with certs but UAT offers INFOSEC certified courses. I have 10+ years in IT mostly desktop support and jr network admin related work. I had already left the local community college because they weren't really teaching me anything (mostly adjunct professors with little to offer as teachers). What to do?

+1, I am curious about this myself.

I am finishing up an Associates in InfoSec right now and I am planning on going to WGU after but I am undecided between the Network Admin path or the Security path. I think since I am new to the field it would probably make more sense for me to start on the Admin path though. Is it possible to do that and then get the Masters in Security?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    +1, I am curious about this myself.

I am finishing up an Associates in InfoSec right now and I am planning on going to WGU after but I am undecided between the Network Admin path or the Security path. I think since I am new to the field it would probably make more sense for me to start on the Admin path though. Is it possible to do that and then get the Masters in Security?

Yes you can, the security major at WGU only adds MS 70-298.

I am not sure whether I am going to go with WGU or Capella. I have a discount on Capella through my community college.
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I'm really considering going here for my MSIT next year... I'm thinking knock out my CCNA, finish my MCSE and then next year look in to this, as a way to get an actual IT degree plus get my feet wet in the security side of things.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I am looking at applying to WGU however, I am currently at University of Phoenix (Complete waste of time school) until the end of June. I want to apply now and get everything set up for the next fiscal year so if a student already wants to give me their referral information I will put it in just remember I will not start until mid year 2010. :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    MachX85MachX85 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am wondering about how long it might take me to finish one of the network degrees. WGU's site says if you have no prier college (which I don't) than it could take 4 or 5 years.

I could be delusional but I was thinking since the Network design and management course is mostly a collection of certifications, one who was familiar with self study and passing exams could graduate much faster. I was hoping for more like 2 years.

I have passed A+ Network+ CCNE, and MCP 70-270 but no college
    I can study at work some, but i am a dad and husband with a full time job so most of my studying would be done at lunch, at work in my spare time, and at home, possibly a couple house before work and or after wife and kids are in bed.

How feasible is it that I could excel through these certificates if I was focused and dedicated? or with my schedule would I just be swimming upstream.

Any body have input on how long it took them? especially if you had no college, thanks.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    MachX85 wrote: »
    I am wondering about how long it might take me to finish one of the network degrees. WGU's site says if you have no prier college (which I don't) than it could take 4 or 5 years.

I could be delusional but I was thinking since the Network design and management course is mostly a collection of certifications, one who was familiar with self study and passing exams could graduate much faster. I was hoping for more like 2 years.

I have passed A+ Network+ CCNE, and MCP 70-270 but no college
    I can study at work some, but i am a dad and husband with a full time job so most of my studying would be done at lunch, at work in my spare time, and at home, possibly a couple house before work and or after wife and kids are in bed.

How feasible is it that I could excel through these certificates if I was focused and dedicated? or with my schedule would I just be swimming upstream.

Any body have input on how long it took them? especially if you had no college, thanks.

It took me 3 semesters since I had a full time Job and a little one at home. I went in with my AA and MCSE towards the degree.

Depending on how much time you can devote, it may take 2 years for you to finish. Many students average 20-30 competency units (credits) per semester. In my last semester I finished 34. Good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MachX85 wrote: »

The upper level courses are heavily weighted towards certs (CIW/CompTIA/Microsoft), but the BS degree does include lower level courses in college algebra, statistics, social science, literature, management, etc. just like a traditional school would have. I think a good number of WGU students have transfer credits from previous attempts at college, but with dedication, you could probably knock the schedule down to 3 years.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ***Resolved.***
  • Options
    Well I just got my application in and started my transfer from University of Phoenix (The worst experience I have had in school yet) to WGU so I am hoping this is what I am looking for. :)
    Working on currently:
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    ajmatson wrote: »
    Well I just got my application in and started my transfer from University of Phoenix (The worst experience I have had in school yet) to WGU so I am hoping this is what I am looking for. :)

Keep us updated on your experience with WGU.
  • Options
    ITEngineerITEngineer Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys ...

I was thinking of going to WGU to get my BS IT ...

HAve any of u guys finish the program and have any value u ur job careers.

Let me know

Thx:D
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry for digging up an older thread but I am thinking of switching schools here to do my Masters. I was kind of hesitant at first but I did some major research into the school, what to expect etc. At my current school I can only take one class per term and never during the summer due to my National Guard obligation. So it was going to take me around five years. With the economy the way it is if I can get a degree and knock out some certs in the process and save a ton of money its a win-win for me.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up an older thread but I am thinking of switching schools here to do my Masters. I was kind of hesitant at first but I did some major research into the school, what to expect etc. At my current school I can only take one class per term and never during the summer due to my National Guard obligation. So it was going to take me around five years. With the economy the way it is if I can get a degree and knock out some certs in the process and save a ton of money its a win-win for me.

INFOSEC I would assume?
  • Options
    INFOSEC I would assume?

You mean in the Guard? I do IT work in the Guard now but mostly communications.
  • Options
    You mean in the Guard? I do IT work in the Guard now but mostly communications.

Sorry for not being more specific. I assumed based on your certification list that you would be going for the Master degree in INFOSEC.

Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance
  • Options
    Sorry for not being more specific. I assumed based on your certification list that you would be going for the Master degree in INFOSEC.

Online IT Degree | MS in Information Security and Assurance

oh yeah that is the degree
  • Options
    jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Degree and certs?!?! :D

I think I might transfer over from Ashford University, $6000 a year, the price IS right
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    There is a new student hall for WGU students: WGU Student Hall

I just thought some people may be interested.
  • Options
    I feel a lot better about WGU now. I was kind of curious as to others who got degrees from there so I did "Western Governors University" in the "People Search" on LinkedIn and found pages of people who work for well known companies who got degrees from there. Now some might say they already had a job there which is true but it makes it easier for others who graduated there in case their resume crosses an alumni members desk.
  • Options
    I feel a lot better about WGU now. I was kind of curious as to others who got degrees from there so I did "Western Governors University" in the "People Search" on LinkedIn and found pages of people who work for well known companies who got degrees from there. Now some might say they already had a job there which is true but it makes it easier for others who graduated there in case their resume crosses an alumni members desk.

I did the same thing a couple of days ago. There are pages, and pages of people who have gotten their degree through WGU. Another interesting thing is that if you google WGU you find barely any complaints except for a few odd-ball disgruntled folks. For online colleges they have a pretty good reputation. According to one blog I found their enrollment has skyrocketed in the last two years.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□

I've done the same and had similar results. I haven't found nearly as many negative reviews about WGU as I have with other schools that I have been considering so that's a plus too.

I'm slated to start January or February for the Masters in Info Sec. and Assurance, just waiting on my previous school to get around to sending my transcripts over from my B.S. program. I have to admit though, I do have one slight thing that's really kind of turned me off a bit from WGU and that has to be my admissions counselor. I've had an extremely difficult time getting them to call me back or respond to my e-mails, in fact - I have never had a response from them. The only time I've been able to reach them has been when I call and eventually do not get their voicemail. They seem a bit, to be frank, dense in the head - not remembering where we left off and what we have to do next. I had the entrance interview with them last week and they called on my mobile which was about to die on me so I gave them my work number and asked them to call me right back on that number which they agreed. About 10 minutes went by and I started to call them back. Once I finally got through I got a brief apology about how they got sidetracked.

I'm just racking this up to a lazy or poorly organized admissions counselor whom seems to have a terrible case of ADD. If I get similar senses as I actually begin classes and work with my mentor I think I'll cut my losses early and not continue forward with the school after I pay for the 1st 6 months. I made the mistake of continuing forward in my program for my Bachelor's degree which was not a very pleasant experience and before I came to my senses I was too deep into it to consider switching to another institution. I'm hoping WGU doesn't turn out this way too.
  • Options
    I've done the same and had similar results. I haven't found nearly as many negative reviews about WGU as I have with other schools that I have been considering so that's a plus too.

I'm slated to start January or February for the Masters in Info Sec. and Assurance, just waiting on my previous school to get around to sending my transcripts over from my B.S. program. I have to admit though, I do have one slight thing that's really kind of turned me off a bit from WGU and that has to be my admissions counselor. I've had an extremely difficult time getting them to call me back or respond to my e-mails, in fact - I have never had a response from them. The only time I've been able to reach them has been when I call and eventually do not get their voicemail. They seem a bit, to be frank, dense in the head - not remembering where we left off and what we have to do next. I had the entrance interview with them last week and they called on my mobile which was about to die on me so I gave them my work number and asked them to call me right back on that number which they agreed. About 10 minutes went by and I started to call them back. Once I finally got through I got a brief apology about how they got sidetracked.

I'm just racking this up to a lazy or poorly organized admissions counselor whom seems to have a terrible case of ADD. If I get similar senses as I actually begin classes and work with my mentor I think I'll cut my losses early and not continue forward with the school after I pay for the 1st 6 months. I made the mistake of continuing forward in my program for my Bachelor's degree which was not a very pleasant experience and before I came to my senses I was too deep into it to consider switching to another institution. I'm hoping WGU doesn't turn out this way too.

I did have one bad admissions counselor, and because of that requested a new one. My new one is much better. One possible reason for all that confusion could be the the massive growth that they have supposedly received in the last two years.
  • Options
    I finally start soon. Just received my letter of admissions. Was thinking of Network Design however, seeing the CCNA:S now in the security track I am more leaning towards that program. What do you guys think?
    Working on currently:
  • Options
    ajmatson wrote: »
    I finally start soon. Just received my letter of admissions. Was thinking of Network Design however, seeing the CCNA:S now in the security track I am more leaning towards that program. What do you guys think?

Depends whether you prefer Network Infrastructure: Cisco, etc. or Systems: Microsoft, Linux, etc.

I start next month.