Options

Western Governors University?

Comments

• Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Anybody want to refer me? :)

It will make my application free and you will get a $50 gift card. you must be a current student with a @wgu email address.

PM Me.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I am tossed up if I want to go the MCITP route first and then the CCNA:S or vice versa. I want to complete both programs but don't know which one will be beneficial first....
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    SephStorm wrote: »
    why dont they get rid of the Network+ and put in the CCNA?

Why not tell 15% of their students they won't meet their requirements that semester? :)

Seriously, yes, the CCNA is a more thorough networking test. I can understand some folks wanting it thrown into the mix. Problem is, it's demanding enough program that some people would be hard-pressed to pass it and continue on in the degree program in a timely fashion. I can see some people losing 8 months or more just trying to get past THAT requirement.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would definitely want to knock out the CCNA before starting at WGU (if they ever offer it in the networking program), just to free up time to take care of other requirements. Especially since the whole thing seems to be you versus the clock since you can do as many certs as you want during each six month term.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    22 classes down, 10 left to go...... moving right along......
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    cablegod wrote: »
    22 classes down, 10 left to go...... moving right along......

how long ago did you start?
  • Options
    August 1st 2008
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    August 1st 2008

Did you have any of those certifications beforehand? Also curious what your degree path is.
  • Options
    Did you have any of those certifications beforehand? Also curious what your degree path is.

I replied to your PM and decided to post it here too for the rest of the guys (and gals). I'm on the Network Design & Management track.

I went in with the 2003 MCSE (with the security elective), MCITP:EA, Oracle 10G OCP, OCE: 10g RAC, Linux and Network +. So far I have done (in this order):

EWOB (intro to WGU class, mandatory first class for everyone) (no way to fail this one)

WFV1 (VERY basic IT stuff, CIW exam) (cakewalk easy)

TPV1 (Mid-level in difficulty to me) Project+ Exam

LCO1 (Reading/Writing comprehension) - Exam taken at local college (easy)

WJV1 (Javascript programming - CIW exam) (easy)

LCE1 (Rhetorical Reading/Writing) (easy) Exam taken at local college

MQTA (Math, EXTREMELY hard to me) (work turned in through Taskstream)

QLO1 (Math, VERY Hard to me, BARELY passed by 3%) Exam taken at local college

IOC4 (History/Government/Politics) Exam taken at local college (semi-easy)

LPO1 (Leadership & Professionalism - management techniques, dealing with people & employees) 6.5-7/10 on hardness scale, Exam taken at local college

SPV1 (Java Development) Sun 310-019 Java Associate Programmer Exam (kinda difficult - 7/10)

ISC4 (Natural Science - 5/10 difficulty)Exam taken at local college

I skipped 10 classes as transfer status because my certifications gave me credit for these. Note, I didn't receive any credit for my Oracle 10g OCP, as it's not "OCA", which I do have but forgot to mention on my intake interview. Not a big deal to me.

I have these left:

* LCTA - Research, Writing & Oral Presentation (taskstream work)
    * THA4 - Ethics I (taskstream work)
    * THC4 - Ethics II Exam taken at local college
    * WSV1 - Web Technologies - CIW exam (I'm waiting on this as it's my "Ace in the Hole in case I need some easy CU's to make SAP for a term.)
    * RUA1 - Humanities I
    * RUA2 - Humanities II
    * WDV1 - Database I - CIW exam - I'm waiting on this as it's my "Ace in the Hole in case I need some easy CU's to make SAP for a term.
    * TWA1 - Technical Writing (taskstream work)
    * PFI3 - Portfolio
    * CPW3 - Capstone Project
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went in with everything for an MCSE except 70-293 and more general education (humanities, English, calculus, etc.) courses than I care to admit, so I had 18 classes covered by transfer credits and MS certs.
    My first semester was:
    EWOB (WGU Orientation)
    WFV1 (CIW Foundations)
    TEV1 (A+ Essentials)
    TTV1 (A+ IT Tech)
    AKV1 (CIW JavaScript Fundamentals)
    AEV1 (MS 70-293)
    TNV1 (Network+)
    WDV1 (CIW Database Fundamentals)

Classes to finish before graduation:
    AAT1/ABT1 (Java Programming 1 & 2 - these are Taskstream now instead Sun exams)
    LET1 (Leadership 1)
    CLC1/CST1 (Reasoning and Problem Solving/Reasoning and Problem Solving: Analytical Essay)
    WSV1 (CIW Site Designer)
    TPV1 (Project+)
    TSV1 (Security+)
    MGC1 (Management)
    ORC1 (Organizational Behavior)
    TWA1 (Technical Writing)
    PFI3 (IT Portfolio)
    CPW3 (Capstone)

CIW exams are pretty easy...everything you need is in the books you are provided with, and the vCampus tests really cover all the bases.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote: »
    vCampus tests really cover all the bases.

What is a vCampus test?
  • Options
    I asked over in another thread and didn't see an answer, so I thought I'd put in here. . .

How does QLC1 work? If you fail an assessment, do they give you paper assignments?
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Can't help you out with QLC1....I had that one covered with transfer credits.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    Can't help you out with QLC1....I had that one covered with transfer credits.

Maybe that puts me closer to the right question. . . generally speaking, what happens with the math classes if you don't have them covered?
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Maybe that puts me closer to the right question. . . generally speaking, what happens with the math classes if you don't have them covered?

I think there are 3 math classes now. Two with a final exam, and one that you turn in work via Taskstream. If you fail an exam, you have to retake it and pass to pass the class. If you can't pass with in 3 tries, you pay out of pocket for more retakes.
  • Options
    I think there are 3 math classes now. Two with a final exam, and one that you turn in work via Taskstream. If you fail an exam, you have to retake it and pass to pass the class. If you can't pass with in 3 tries, you pay out of pocket for more retakes.

Thanks! I'm probably going to put in the paperwork and see what they'll give me for my prior credits. If it looks favorable, I'll go forward.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I begin my classes with WGU next week! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Nice Veritas. I do as well on March 1st :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    ajmatson wrote: »
    Nice Veritas. I do as well on March 1st :)

Have you heard about the AITP group being formed at WGU?
  • Options
    spigetyspigety Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone noticed anything different on your AAP that you weren't expecting? I logged in today to find that 4 classes were mysteriously waived and i'm not sure why.

They were: AAT1, CST1, ABT1 and WDV1.

I'm assuming they are adding a new focus involving programming or databases so they decided to disinvolve them from mine, but who knows.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    spigety wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed anything different on your AAP that you weren't expecting? I logged in today to find that 4 classes were mysteriously waived and i'm not sure why.

They were: AAT1, CST1, ABT1 and WDV1.

I'm assuming they are adding a new focus involving programming or databases so they decided to disinvolve them from mine, but who knows.

You should have received an e-mail (at least I did) from your mentor describing how some programs had too many CU's and they had removed some from the curriculum to bring the course load in line with other accredited programs.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Was the NEtwork Design BS changed?

It would be fantastic if they shaved some of the CIW BS out of it
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Was the NEtwork Design BS changed?

It would be fantastic if they shaved some of the CIW BS out of it

They shaved off some classes, but no the CIW certs.
  • Options
    They shaved off some classes, but no the CIW certs.

They did drop CIW Site Designer from the Network Design & Management degree. It's showing as waived on my AAP.
  • Options
    They did drop CIW Site Designer from the Network Design & Management degree. It's showing as waived on my AAP.

Didn't even notice, thanks...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    So what exactly did they waive for that program?

Keep in mind i dont know what the acronyms stand for.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    So what exactly did they waive for that program?

Keep in mind i dont know what the acronyms stand for.

I now think I have a good chance of graduating in a year 1/2 if that gives you a better idea. I was told they should be releasing an updated PDF of the degree soon.

Basically several general courses that were believed to be to similar to other courses, and it appears two CIW courses were removed as well. They have also been going through and modifying several other IT degrees including Security and Database Administration.
  • Options
    AAT1 and ABT1 were Java Programming 1 & 2. I had just finished Java 1 when they went and waived them. WDV1 was CIW Site Designer. CST1 was an analytical essay that tied in with the Critical Thinking/Reasoning & Problem Solving course.
  • Options
    AAT1 and ABT1 were Java Programming 1 & 2. I had just finished Java 1 when they went and waived them. WDV1 was CIW Site Designer. CST1 was an analytical essay that tied in with the Critical Thinking/Reasoning & Problem Solving course.

I'm glad they waived the programming. I took C programming during my Associate degree program and hated it. I learned some excellent skills from it but just didn't enjoy it.