Options

Western Governors University?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Finished FAFSA. Its a little disconcerting that they show WGU with only a 56% graduation rate.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Finished FAFSA. Its a little disconcerting that they show WGU with only a 56% graduation rate.

I take that as a sign that the programs aren't easy, and people who aren't good independent learners or lack motivation aren't going to make it.

Unlike some traditional schools, you don't just pay your tuition/cover charge, show up every once in a while, and in 4 years, you walk away with a diploma.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I find your lack of faith disturbing... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    bwcarty wrote: »
    I take that as a sign that the programs aren't easy, and people who aren't good independent learners or lack motivation aren't going to make it.

Unlike some traditional schools, you don't just pay your tuition/cover charge, show up every once in a while, and in 4 years, you walk away with a diploma.

Yep. I saw that too when I enrolled and thought the exact same thing that you said. I believe it's true. Some think it'll be an easy ride and when reality sets in, they see it's going to be challenging and difficult, then they drop out. I'm down to 7 classes now. At then end of this term in July, I'll have one class for my final term, the capstone.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    im_nightrider2003im_nightrider2003 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone,

I am currently enrolled into a community college and will be graduating in May-2010. I am an IT proffessional with around 16 years of experience. I was considering WGU for completing BS in IT. Here are my questions. I would appreciate if current and former students could answer my questions.

1) I would like to finish all my certifications along with my associate degree before I apply at WGU. Will they accept all the certifications? I was planning on doing CIW FOundations, CIW Site designer, CIW Javascript, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ and One more microsoft certification for Vista client configuration (This is based on current requirements as per WGU).

2) Money is not a concern but time certainly is. Will I be able to transfer most of my Associate Degree courses ? My associate is in Business Administration.

3) How long does it take to complete one (NON-IT) course in WGU? My objective is to complete the graduation in the first semseter. With my associate degree and certifications is that possible or it is a stretch?

I would appreciate if all current and former students chime in and provide tips on admissions, taking courses and exams.

Thanks and Happy St Patricks Day.

-S
  • Options
    I don't know if I can answer ALL those questions but I will comment on a few things. I purposefully finished off the Security+ before I went to WGU so I would have a couple of certifications before I started classes. Do as many as you can!

I think since you will have an Associate in Business Administration you might want to consider a BS in Business IT which is also offered by WGU: Technology Management | Online Business Technology Degree | WGU College of Business Online Your classes will probably transfer better for that track. If you really don't want to do that then make sure you have another look at WGU's certification list since it has changed since you last looked at it. Also realize that they hold right to change those at any time.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What books did you get shipped from WGU for the Microsoft course?
    You have to buy it. It's available on books 24x7 though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    You can transfer in a maximum of up to 70% of the degree. So make sure that you arent wasting money by getting certs done if you already make up close to 70% of what you need for the Bachelors.

With the recent class cuts, and the fact that I have a large portion of my certs done..I am looking at doing nothing but a bunch of GenEd stuff, whcih makes me want to barf.
  • Options
    I am looking at doing nothing but a bunch of GenEd stuff, whcih makes me want to barf.

icon_lol.gif I know the feeling...
  • Options
    1) I would like to finish all my certifications along with my associate degree before I apply at WGU. Will they accept all the certifications? I was planning on doing CIW FOundations, CIW Site designer, CIW Javascript, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ and One more microsoft certification for Vista client configuration (This is based on current requirements as per WGU).

3) How long does it take to complete one (NON-IT) course in WGU? My objective is to complete the graduation in the first semseter. With my associate degree and certifications is that possible or it is a stretch?

-S
    Depending on what you're going into, the Site designer is probably dropped (They just made changes to some programs March 1)
    Probably a stretch. Some people can complete upwards of 30 units in a semester. The changes they recently made makes the degree program shorter.
    I'll be done this time next year if I keep going like I am.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I don't know if I can answer ALL those questions but I will comment on a few things. I purposefully finished off the Security+ before I went to WGU so I would have a couple of certifications before I started classes. Do as many as you can!

I think since you will have an Associate in Business Administration you might want to consider a BS in Business IT which is also offered by WGU: Technology Management | Online Business Technology Degree | WGU College of Business Online Your classes will probably transfer better for that track. If you really don't want to do that then make sure you have another look at WGU's certification list since it has changed since you last looked at it. Also realize that they hold right to change those at any time.

Thanks so much for the reply. I will take a look at the track you suggested. I got the list of certifications yesterday from the website (I hope that it is latest one) icon_smile.gif. Again THanks.

-S
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Depending on what you're going into, the Site designer is probably dropped (They just made changes to some programs March 1)
    Probably a stretch. Some people can complete upwards of 30 units in a semester. The changes they recently made makes the degree program shorter.
    I'll be done this time next year if I keep going like I am.

Thanks so much. I got the certification list from the website. Where can I find the latest requirements (if not the website?).

Thanks again
  • Options
    Some people can complete upwards of 30 units in a semester. The changes they recently made makes the degree program shorter.

The technical writing and capstone project alone are supposed to take about 2 months. Even with an Associate's degree and certifications, you're still likely to have a number of non-IT courses to deal with.

I transferred in with an AA in general studies and all my MCSE exams except 70-293. I'm also very experienced in IT (12 years professionally and 20 years total experience with building computers and administering networks from my BBS days)

I completed 31 credits in my first term without stressing out too much, but those were all certification based classes.

If you don't have a 45-50 hour/week job and a young child like I do, you could probably knock out each of the non-certification based courses in 2-3 weeks tops. I finished my first TaskStream based class this term in a little over a week, but it was a subject I was already pretty familiar with (Java programming).

I have a leadership/management type class coming up that is going to require four written essays, so that one will take some time on my part.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    Thanks so much. I got the certification list from the website. Where can I find the latest requirements (if not the website?).
    The website probably hasn't been updated (they only announced the program changes recently) and not all programs have been equally changed.
    Such as in Network Design and Management they dropped JAVA programming language, Database, Website Design, Senior Portfolio, and College Level Reasoning and Problem Solving.
    They say the changes are to steer WGU into more of a 4 year degree. Full time is 12 units and at 12 units a term it would take an entering student 6 years to complete so they trimmed the programs. The CLRPS was the only non IT class deleted. I took CLRPS already and it was a writing/research paper type class (Pretty hard but glad I could do it and get it done).
  • Options
    The technical writing and capstone project alone are supposed to take about 2 months. Even with an Associate's degree and certifications, you're still likely to have a number of non-IT courses to deal with.

I transferred in with an AA in general studies and all my MCSE exams except 70-293. I'm also very experienced in IT (12 years professionally and 20 years total experience with building computers and administering networks from my BBS days)

I completed 31 credits in my first term without stressing out too much, but those were all certification based classes.

If you don't have a 45-50 hour/week job and a young child like I do, you could probably knock out each of the non-certification based courses in 2-3 weeks tops. I finished my first TaskStream based class this term in a little over a week, but it was a subject I was already pretty familiar with (Java programming).

I have a leadership/management type class coming up that is going to require four written essays, so that one will take some time on my part.

Thanks so much for providing all that information. You guys have really helped me and I appreciate every answer and suggestion.

Have a nice evening
  • Options
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    If so, how many courses did that wipe out? The transfer guidelines seem to say you can only ax one course for each of these, and I'm wondering if I should wait to wrap my MCSA before starting.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    May he have mercy on your soul if you are assigned Spencer as your admissions counselor :D

Great, I filled out the form to get more info and now am scheduled to be getting a call from Spencer on Thursday.

I hope he isn't THAT bad.

• Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Everyone had different experiences. I had him and had no issues, he followed up with my financial aid and everything getting me started in less than a month from requesting info. :) My mentor is awesome though. I have Ann Jacobson and she rocks. Best advisor I have had in the past 10 years of school.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    NancyJNancyJ Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I'm new to this site, and am so relieved to see so much information about WGU. I've been thinking about starting with them for a Bachelors degree for a while now, but am still on the fence. Here's what has me concerned... although the WGU rep (and their site) are telling me that I don't need a computer related background (I'm computer "literate" but have worked in accounting and as an executive assistant.) what I've been seeing on this site are people who are already working in the field and just want the WGU degree to help back up what they already know. The degree I'm looking at is the software engineering degree. A long time ago (in what feels like a galaxy far away) my father, who was a self taught software designer, taught me the basics of... well... Basic. It was fun and interesting but I never took it farther.
    So I'm wondering if you guys think that it's possible for a relative newbie like me to be able to complete this coursework through WGU? Or am I setting myself up for failure?
  • Options
    Welcome to TE!

Depends on if you are a good self learner and willing to put in the effort (and time) to not only pass the tests but to learn the material. It's not like a regular university where you have weekly quizzes or anything, most classes you complete by taking just 1 test. If you put in minimum effort and just study for the test you wont know the material well enough when you've completed your degree to transfer it to a work environment.
    A lot of the people here have been in IT for years, Some of them, due to all their certifications, have very few IT classes they'll be required to take. There are a lot of self-motivated, self-learners here on TE.
    If you choose to go it should be because it's something you truly want to learn. I was a newbie when I got to WGU and I've learned a lot, still have a lot to learn. I started WGU with no certs and just a little PC hardware experience, so anyone who truly wants to learn here can.
  • Options
    Nancy,

This forum isnt the best representation of the entire WGU student body. Most of us here are current IT Pros looking to finish out a bachelors on our own time and for not a lot of cash. I've noticed that WGUs IT programs ar mostly made up of non-IT people looking to get a degree in an area they want a career in. So I think your situation is the norm, rather than the exception.

Good luck!
  • Options
    NancyJNancyJ Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!

Depends on if you are a good self learner and willing to put in the effort (and time) to not only pass the tests but to learn the material. It's not like a regular university where you have weekly quizzes or anything, most classes you complete by taking just 1 test. If you put in minimum effort and just study for the test you wont know the material well enough when you've completed your degree to transfer it to a work environment.
    A lot of the people here have been in IT for years, Some of them, due to all their certifications, have very few IT classes they'll be required to take. There are a lot of self-motivated, self-learners here on TE.
    If you choose to go it should be because it's something you truly want to learn. I was a newbie when I got to WGU and I've learned a lot, still have a lot to learn. I started WGU with no certs and just a little PC hardware experience, so anyone who truly wants to learn here can.
    Thanks! Then I suppose I should do ok. I'm a reasonably good self learner, and at the moment have nothing but time. I really do want to learn this. I keep remembering how much fun I had as a kid ripping apart my dad's programs (on paper), finding out what made them tick and applying those principles to my own stuff. I know Basic is a very high level language, and that's what made it easy, but I figure it still shows that the fundamental logic requirement is there.
  • Options
    GEORGIOARMANI83GEORGIOARMANI83 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

New poster here. I am attending University of Phoenix and they have a 16% graduation rate lol.... I am considering switching to WGU though because it seems to be about the same price and I will get a BA instead of an AA... Would this help me get a job? I am currently in the field but do not have any certifications, would it be prudent to switch so I can get the certifications?

- George
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Would this help me get a job?
    Lots of factors go into getting a job -- but the formula we've worked out here for IT jobs includes Education + Experience + Certifications & Luck + people skills and some social networking. And doing more than just looking at postings on the Internet and waiting for a job to fall in your lap..... icon_lol.gif

WGU is a good fit for a lot of the people here on TechExams.Net since they're already self-motivated and already into self-study for their Certifications.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    New poster here. I am attending University of Phoenix and they have a 16% graduation rate lol.... I am considering switching to WGU though because it seems to be about the same price and I will get a BA instead of an AA... Would this help me get a job? I am currently in the field but do not have any certifications, would it be prudent to switch so I can get the certifications?

- George
    In my opinion it would be. It would be a BS actually, though. There are quite a few people who either switched from Phoenix to go to WGU or chose WGU instead of Phoenix. Getting the certs while getting the degree does make WGU more appealing to most people.
    If you are already in the IT field it would definitely help you to get certs and a degree to get a better job in the field.
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179

- George

Not sure about what numbers you have seen, but WGU is MUCH less expensive than UoP. Plus if you push yourself to get through stuff quicker, it essentially costs even less, and you get your degree quicker!
  • Options
    JoshD779JoshD779 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure about what numbers you have seen, but WGU is MUCH less expensive than UoP. Plus if you push yourself to get through stuff quicker, it essentially costs even less, and you get your degree quicker!
    Plus, no "group work" at WGU. icon_cool.gif
    WGU BS-IT Network Design and Management

Complete: EWB, LAC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, WFV1, INC1, INT1, TEV1, TTV1, HVC1, HVT1, TNV1, CLC1, TSV1, LET1, TPV1, ORC1

Que:
    AKV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, MGC1, SSC1, SST1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1,BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, CPW3
  • Options
    JoshD779 wrote: »
    Plus, no "group work" at WGU. icon_cool.gif

That was a huge factor for me. My schedule is tight enough with work and family...forcing me to work around other students' schedules for group projects would make things impossible for me.

As it stands now, I completed 31 credits my first semester and 30 credits so far into my second. I just wrapped up LET1, so now all I have left are the technical writing and capstone components. I can't wait for this to be over! I've just started working for a traditional university now, so as soon as I finish my BS, I can start taking Master's classes for free. :)
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I've just started working for a traditional university now, so as soon as I finish my BS, I can start taking Master's classes for free. :)

SMART man.I just finished the Technical Writing proposal class and have the Capstone left. If you dot all of your "i's" and cross all of your "t's", you'll blow it away. I enjoyed it more than the rest of the other classes combined. I am trigger happy to jump on the Capstone, but I am waiting on a product that was ordered to be delivered next week before I can begin in full. I'm just leisurely gathering baseline stats at the moment for preparation for the full project.

Good luck!
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre