Options

Confused on WINS

What is WINS used for? Is it just used for pre-Windows 2000 clients?

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    WINS essentially was the Pre Windows 2000 Client version of DNS.
    (Note some apps still can require WINS)

Heres a good link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Internet_Name_Service
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Ok so if I have a Server 2003 environment and all client machines run Windows XP Pro. as an example then I assume WINS is not needed, unless I have applications that need to resolve NetBios names. Is that correct?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Ok so if I have a Server 2003 environment and all client machines run Windows XP Pro. as an example then I assume WINS is not needed, unless I have applications that need to resolve NetBios names. Is that correct?

In theory yes because ADS runs ontop of dns. The main reason you still see wins being used is due to legacy applications. and like sie said it was pre-2000 as such.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Ok I know what I'm about to ask is sort of off-topic but here goes-

If I have one domain controller holding a primary DNS zone for let's say TestLab2003.local in Active Directory and I configure another DNS server hosting a secondary zone for TestLab2003.local as well- Question is do I have to enable zone transfers? Or is zone transfers only used when not storing in A.D.?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DNS data for Active Directory Integrate Zones is stored in Active Directory and will be replicated with all other Active Directory data. Zone transfers are not used with this configuration.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is the order of hostname resolution.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172218

1. The client checks to see if the name queried is its own.
    2. The client then searches a local Hosts file, a list of IP address and names stored on the local computer.

NOTE: The Hosts file location depends on the operating system:

Windows NT %Systemroot%\System32\Drivers\Etc
    Windows 95 <drive>\<Windows folder>
    Windows for Workgroups <drive>\<Windows folder>
    Windows 3.1 <drive>\<Windows folder>
    MS-Client 3.0 <Boot volume>\Net
    Lan Manager 2.2c Client <Boot volume>\Net

Where %Systemroot% is the folder in which Windows NT is installed, <drive> is the drive on which the OS is installed, and <boot volume> refers to a boot floppy disk or drive C.

A sample hosts file, Hosts.sam, is installed with the TCP/IP protocol showing the proper format.
    3. Domain Name System (DNS) servers are queried.
    4. If the name is still not resolved, NetBIOS name resolution sequence is used as a backup. This order can be changed by configuring the NetBIOS node type of the client.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!