Options

Broadcasts question

GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
Hi.

I was watching the trainsignal vids and Chris Bryant said that broadcasts can lead to more broadcasts (if a host sends out a broadcast, the respond party replies with a broadcasts (or something close to that)). My question is why?

If it's an arp, on a 24 port switch, 23 hosts get it and only 1 replies. And that reply is a unicast reply since it now knows the requesters ip and mac.

The other 23 hosts see that the broadcast is not meant for them and therefore drop it.

I'm sure there are other scenarios and thus just looking for a little clarification. Also, any info on broadcast storms would be appreciated as well. I am looking from the point of view of "why" not "when broadcast storms occur." When they occur, bad stuff happens, I get that :D

Are we talking about out of controller arpers? or other issues, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at a scenario when you have multiple switches on a single lan segment,they will all receive the broadcast.If these switches are also joined by another common lan segment, each switch will send a broadcast out an interface, which means the lan segment now has multiple replicated broadcast packets, this will continually happen circularly and hence you get a storm.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$