Options

Printing PDFs

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
After a hard week at work I swung by a store to print and fax some documents this morning, only to find that their printer would fail when I went to print a pdf document that I had. I asked the clerk if I could fix it for them and they gave me the software for the printer. The printer was only just purchased the previous year and has worked fine for me up until today.

My file was opened using "Adobe acrobat professional" and the file was on the desktop. I reattached the USB cable to the printer and checked the port information, which all looked fine. I reinstalled the printer software and printed a test page, which worked perfectly.

The printer will print everything except PDF files. I went into the advanced print settings and set it for "Print as image" thinking that was the problem, but the print job still failed.

So logically the printer works fine and the cable is good. Could the application have been the problem? Any other suggestions?
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What brand of printer is it? I would start by updating the printer driver to the latest version. If that does not work maybe open the file in the latest version of adobe reader instead.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What version of PDF Reader is it? I witnessed a lot of problems with version 7.0, I used to work for a printer company that sold Ricohs and Sharps.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I'd try reinstalling acrobat reader...
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sure, it's something that I figured might be the issue...but I don't have access to the printer now and won't work on it again. I was just wondering if there is something else I could have done. I don't know if it's possible for the program to be responsible for a printing issue.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Sure, it's something that I figured might be the issue...but I don't have access to the printer now and won't work on it again. I was just wondering if there is something else I could have done. I don't know if it's possible for the program to be responsible for a printing issue.

Sometimes I found that certain files need the postscript driver rather than the pcl driver.
    All things are possible, only believe.