Options

DHCP on server vs router

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
This isn't so much a CCNA question as it is a general knowledge question to see if I'm understanding DHCP setup on a router:

What are the advantages/disadvantages to using DHCP at the router instead of DHCP at the server? Are there any? The study guide I'm using makes reference to an Internet Access Router using DHCP, is that what all routers are? Any help would be appreciated, since at my office we use a Windows server to do our DHCP assignment. I'm assuming an enterprise level router would worry about it's statically assigned address and have a server worried about it but wanted to get your guys thoughts on it.

Comments

• Options
    MikeInMoseleyMikeInMoseley Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have to think about how your DNS server will have it's records updated. You can set 2000 pro and XP clients to do this but older clients you may not be able to.

Also if you have a windows 2003 dhcp server it can be authorized in your domain.

Personally i find Windows 2003 dhcp easier to configure and manage but that's probably just because I'm used to it.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A dedicated server for DHCP (in addition to the benefits already mentioned by MikeInMoseley) also takes the load off your router and lets it do it's primary job of routing, without using cpu cycles to keep track of issuing ip addresses as well.

I can't think of any benefits of using a router to perform DHCP unless you just don't have a server available for DHCP.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    A dedicated server for DHCP (in addition to the benefits already mentioned by MikeInMoseley) also takes the load off your router and lets it do it's primary job of routing, without using cpu cycles to keep track of issuing ip addresses as well.

I can't think of any benefits of using a router to perform DHCP unless you just don't have a server available for DHCP.

+1.

but you might use it for cost reasons in SOHO places. which is probably where you are saying this in the ccna track as you have reffered towards the internet access router part. An office with lots of users would def use a dedicated server for load and redundancy etc.

but even for soho offices you could just use a relay agent to the site where the dhcp sits at
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would think that it is rarely used in a production environment.

For your home lab, it might make sense. I use a 2501 for DHCP for my home network, but I only have a few boxes that need addresses. I also use it on a cisco AP to hand out addresses for wireless connections.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Cool, thanks for the reply guys. That's the initial feeling that I had but I wanted to make sure, appreciate the help.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Netwurk wrote:
    I would think that it is rarely used in a production environment.

we use it here in production at hq (450+users!) why because when we moved offices it was more convenient to issue dhcp address on the new site using the routers till we got the servers moved....

now we are fully moved its never been changed.... why because I wasnt here to implement the change and the boss hasnt changed it back....

all very strange but it works all the same just harder to administer imo
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)