Options

Capella University

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I'll begin grad school in a couple of weeks with Capella University. I'm going to concentrate in Network Architecture and Design. I know the moderator of this site really liked Capella, but I believe that was the Info Sec program. Has anyone went through the Network Arch and Design grad program? If so, what was/is your experience like? Any other universities that offers MS in Network Architecture and Design or something to this affect (completely online)?

~Peanut Head
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I received my MSIT InfoSec from Capella last year. Do you know what the software requirements for the NA&D classes are? It sounds like you are gonna need more than just Visio. ;) One of the disadvantages of online education is the school usually doesn't have an online computer and networking labs to use, so you need to buy everything you need to do the assignments. And sometimes the software you need isn't available at an academic discount.
  • Options
    Since I haven't begin my concentration, I have yet to receive any listing of software. I am fortunate enough to have a company that has licensed software for employees at a huge discounted price. So I should be able to obtain software as needed unless Capella uses some proprietary software written by one of their professors or students... (My first class uses a book written by one of their Professors)!

Some of the reasons that I was intrigued with Capella's program was because they told me that they have an online virtual lab for the NA&D concentration. So, I'll supposedly be able to use their pods to perform my projects and assignments. Also, I'm finally cracking down on studying for my CCNA (currently setting up my home lab) to begin to lay my foundation because I expect the NA&D to be geared more towards CCNP or CCDP type studies so I want to have the CCNA type knowledge first.

I originally planned to go the InfoSec way (I still have time because the core courses are identical), but I've become more and more interested in working in networking because with my current job, I'll be able to do more hands with networking as opposed to information security. I'm moving to a new position in which I'll be working directly with a networking engineer. Although I'll be a SysAdmin, its a 3 man team with our lead guy being "a lead guy" and myself and the other guy doing the work icon_lol.gif I plan to pick his brain and get a lot of hands on with this guy (he's a good friend of mine and I've worked with him before). I'll post as I gain more knowledge and detail.

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    (My first class uses a book written by one of their Professors)!
    Yes, it is mandatory that the technical writing class be taken the first quarter, and the book is written by Capella professors. At Capella, produce a large amount of written discussions and assignments, so it must be quickly determined if a new Capella student has college writing skills or not. For my tech writing project, I wrote a 30-page, single-spaced paper on social engineering. I didn't realize that APA style requires double-spacing, but I don't think I was marked off for it.
    Some of the reasons that I was intrigued with Capella's program was because they told me that they have an online virtual lab for the NA&D concentration.
    Nice! I hope they have contracted with a service provider for access to actual equipment too and not just sims. Capella also has a good CBT library from Element K that has a lot of certification training programs, including the CCNA.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    Nice! I hope they have contracted with a service provider for access to actual equipment too and not just sims. Capella also has a good CBT library from Element K that has a lot of certification training programs, including the CCNA.

Interesting... they hadn't mentioned the elementk to me. Do you recall how to access the elementk? I've been perusing through the library trying to get familiar with their online library... I didn't see anything mentioning the elementk. Any links through Capella's portal? Also, how was the workload in grad school... I know that its going to be a lot, plus I work full-time, but I'm hoping that once I get into the concentration courses, things will become fun!

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Interesting... they hadn't mentioned the elementk to me. Do you recall how to access the elementk? I've been perusing through the library trying to get familiar with their online library... I didn't see anything mentioning the elementk. Any links through Capella's portal? Also, how was the workload in grad school... I know that its going to be a lot, plus I work full-time, but I'm hoping that once I get into the concentration courses, things will become fun!
    I don't think the link was in the library section. It should come up in a site search.

And how much work is involved depends on how many classes you take per quarter. Most quarters I only took one class. At that rate, I needed nearly three years to complete my degree, but I did manage to just squeak out a 4.0GPA, so I think it was worth the time. The GPA of your last degree follows you everywhere.
  • Options
    I'm starting off with one class per term for this term and probably the next. Then, dependent upon how comfortable I feel, I may go to two courses. I definitely will not take more than two classes per term. I think I'm too impatient to wait three years... icon_lol.gif So I'll end up going with two courses. My wife is currently enrolled through Capella for grad school and she's taking two courses. She's doing well, but she says that she is not going to take two courses again! icon_lol.gif So, I guess I'll just have to see... I may end up going one class per term! Thanks for the info.

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    I really suggest spreading out the "fun" and "not so fun" subjects in your Degree Completion Plan (DCP) so you don't up taking a several difficult and unfamiliar subjects all in a row, and usually at the end of your degree program. I was in a hurry to take all the InfoSec courses and that left my last year filled with the business, project and risk management classes. Remember that you can change your DCP anytime that you need to.
  • Options
    Duly noted... thanks JDMurray!

~Peanut Head

-Mayor Cory Booker