Options

CCNA lab equipment question

slayer3slayer3 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am piecing together some equipment for my lab to study for the CCNA. I went to a local recycle company browsing for any Cisco equipment they may have and picked up a 2691 and a 3640 router. They only wanted $20 a piece for them so a pretty good deal for those. I tested them and they work fine, both are maxed with ram and flash and came with IOS 12.3. My question is the 2691 came with a NW card in it, 2 fast ethernet ports and the 3640 came with 3 of the 4 NW slots filled, a 4 port serial, single HSSI port, and a single ethernet port RJ45 or AUI. Sorry I do not know the exact model numbers to the NW cards.

I also have 2 2514's in the mix. My question is what else should I put in the 2691 since it has 3 unused WIC slots and the 3640 has 1 empty NW slot. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I have been seeing of the lab's required. You generally want 3-4 router's, with one that can be setup as a frame-relay switch which need's the four serial interfaces. Two serial interface's per router and if possible 2 Fast Ethernet port's. Beyond that it's really not needed. Right now what im studying on goes something like this. 2501 --- 2620 -- 2501, with a switch connected off the 2620 for VLAN. I don't have my CCNA personally, but if you can setup a decent 3 router 2 switch lab to study on it should be more than fine.

I'm sure some of the more seasoned guys on here will give ya more in depth reason's. But that's just what im working with.
  • Options
    Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2691 and a 3640 for $20 each icon_cry.gif

If they have anymore pm me.
    - Pete
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    You really got a good deal on the 3640, they are going for about $200 without the serial card.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    eleguaelegua Member Posts: 282
    2691 and a 3640 for $20 each icon_cry.gif

If they have anymore pm me.

Same here icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif