Options

Certifications. An IT Green Card?

pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Our group lunch turned to a heated and bitter debate when an accountant said that IT certificates is a kind of greencard, which many pursue not out of passion with the profession, gain skills or to proof expertise but for what it offers.... a club for big easy bucks!!

She went further to liken it to those fighting for US or UK citizenship who actually have no love for the country and its people, only for social and economic reasons.

I really don't disagree with that point, cos I've seen many who say that they are stuck and need an IT cert for a breakthrough. Kind of say get a cert, get a job!

I've experienced it at work...someone with MCSE who cannot share a network printer icon_eek.gif or to install a program to a different drive other than c:\program files\.

I like to know your views about this issue guys!

Comments

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As I always stated and told the newbie that certification is to help to enhance your skill and professional career.

There are so many paper based MCSE or IT guy before during the outraged period of IT professional. However, we are back on track. IT certification had improve since then and with MS push to shut down all braindump site.

Anyway, don't let those IT10 issue get you. They are the one that not playing attention to the real world issue.

No computer, no computing application and see how accountant going to live. haha
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I do think certs are a way into the industry, but I wouldn't expect to see someone with an MCSE who has never done Windows admin at any level, I had this attitude when I started out 4 yrs ago and just by passing my A+ doors started to open and I got my first IT job in 1st Line Desktop Support, Then when I wanted to move beyond this I completed my Network+ and first MCP which got my a 2nd Line Desktop Support role and there I continued on to complete my MCSA securing me a 2nd Line Network/Systems Engineer role. I completed my CCNA while in this role and have moved to a 3rd Line Microsoft Support role and have now conpleted my MCSE 2000 and 2003.

But I agree from experience I have met people who hold the same certification level as me but are unable to explain concepts that should be know at that level such as NAT, DNS, AD structure and VLAN's etc.

Certifications are a great thing if you do them correcty and actually learn the material and practice the material but nothing beats hands-on experience, although sometimes you need the certification to get your foot in the door to get the experience.
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    If you ran your own business and you wanted to move to another country, you would probably get in to most countries if you had the cash & were to set up a business there. Thats kind of like a greencard too.

So valued skillsets are transferable to other countries, so what? You can get lousy qualified accountants too. Sounds as if she could be jealous that she would probably have to significantly retrain if she moved to another country. Luckily IT doesnt have as much as a problem with that, as long as you speak the same tongue icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    There is no silver bullet for hiring -- certs, education, and experience are ok but you take a big gamble every time you hire someone in IT because so many people don't know what they claim to know or should know.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    nl wrote:
    There is no silver bullet for hiring -- certs, education, and experience are ok but you take a big gamble every time you hire someone in IT because so many people don't know what they claim to know or should know.
    Im sure other industries have similar problems with hiring, its not just IT. Go to Prometrics website and look at all of the other industries that take tests at their exam centers. Its a big list.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    pryde7 wrote:
    Our group lunch turned to a heated and bitter debate when an accountant said that IT certificates is a kind of greencard, which many pursue not out of passion with the profession, gain skills or to proof expertise but for what it offers.... a club for big easy bucks!!
    People acquire certifications for many different reasons, just as people acquire college degrees for many different reasons. People who think that having certifications is the "easy ticket" to a high-paying job (or promotion) really don't understand the hiring practices of high-paying organizations.
  • Options
    jack2008jack2008 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    your statement is true.bcz nowaday no one want to develop there knowledge.they need good salary job only.they using there studies & certificates only for that.
    =====================
    jack

Social Media Marketing - 65979465.277465 http://www.widecircles.com