Options

Home lab cables help!

CoolBeansCoolBeans Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Yes, I am dumb......but I bought a couple routers and a 2950 switch piecemeal so I don't have any cables.

What kind of cables will/should I need for multiple setups....for CCNA home lab?

I have (in the mail) a 2610 - 2612 - 2503 and the 2950.

Suggestions? Thanks guys, I am just starting out so I am not versed in every piece of equipment yet.
Fact: Beats are better than bears.

Comments

• Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CoolBeans wrote:
    Yes, I am dumb......but I bought a couple routers and a 2950 switch piecemeal so I don't have any cables.

What kind of cables will/should I need for multiple setups....for CCNA home lab?

I have (in the mail) a 2610 - 2612 - 2503 and the 2950.

Suggestions? Thanks guys, I am just starting out so I am not versed in every piece of equipment yet.

You're not dumb. I am still learning about various versions of routers and switches, there is so much to learn! All I know so far from what you have wrote is about the 2610.

My 2610 only had one RJ45-10/100 jack on it and that was from an add-on card. I still have to acquire some AUI Transceivers. I have two 2501's as well and they have no ethernet jacks on em'. I bought some cross-over serial cables but I don't really know what to use them for yet LOL

Try doing some searches here on keywords like "Home Labs" or "Cables" I bet you'll find some more threads that may help you (Better than I have :) )
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    An AUI transceiver for the 2503
    Some crossover ethernet cables
    Some straight through ethernet cables
    A couple Cisco rollover console cables
    A USB to serial adapter if you don't have one on your computer
    Some DTE-DCE serial cables if you have the ports on your routers. A combination of DB60 and SS depending on what ports you have available.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out www.monoprice.com for cheap cables. I got an assortment of straight-through and crossover ethernet cables and some DTE/DCEs from them.
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About how much should an AUI Transceiver cost? I was surprised to see that there weren't really too many on Ebay. I figured they wouldn't be too hard to find but... I see em between 30 and 60 dollars. That seems like a lot buying a 35 dollar transceiver for my 20 dollar 2501 router lol
  • Options
    ddzierzek wrote:
    About how much should an AUI Transceiver cost? I was surprised to see that there weren't really too many on Ebay. I figured they wouldn't be too hard to find but... I see em between 30 and 60 dollars. That seems like a lot buying a 35 dollar transceiver for my 20 dollar 2501 router lol

$15-25 here. I'm not sure if those are all compatible, so you may want to check with them before you purchase anything.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    They seem to go for around $20 new

http://horizondatacom.com

http://www.dantraknet.com

I've seen used ones on ebay for $5-10, but you'll need to patient to get a deal

Cheapest way to go with cables (in the long run) is to learn how to make them yourself. Hardest part is getting the tool ($15-30). You can buy bulk CAT5 cable and the connectors at most hardware stores these days.
  • Options
    CAT cables should be easy...I can make them cheaper, even after buying the crimper, than buying them.

I was just curious on the serial cables and such....I don't know enough to know what I need. I probably should have just bought a kit I guess. I couldn't find a kit with a 2950 for less than $400 so I guess I am still ahead of the game.
  • Options
    DCE/DTE Crossovers: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10206

The only reason I got my ethernet cables from them was because I could get a variety of colors. I have 1000 ft of gray next to me right now, but I thought things would be easier to keep track of if I got a little bit of a variety.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    DCE/DTE Crossovers: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10206

The only reason I got my ethernet cables from them was because I could get a variety of colors. I have 1000 ft of gray next to me right now, but I thought things would be easier to keep track of if I got a little bit of a variety.

Now what is the fun in that?