Options

851w

dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I did a search on 851w and it only came up with a couple threads... I was wondering if this would be a good buy for getting some hands-on SDM practice. The guy in the BTNuggets video said he recommends it but I do not know how old that video is and was wondering if there is something better. I have about $400 to spend on a router which will give me some wireless practice and SDM as well...

Thank you in advance!

Dale

Comments

• Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well I have an 851W and I like it. Thing is it doesn't support eigrp or igrp(I don't think igrp), even though it has 4 switchports about the only thing I've been able to do is put them on portfast mode.

I think you can get an 1841 on ebay for not so much more I might have gotten that instead, but the 851w is solid and works. maybe someone else has more info I'm not even through my ccna yet. I'm not sure if 1841 does wireless or not, btw.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Get the 871W with the Advanced IP Services feature set or an 1841 with a HWIC-AP. Ideally you'd get the 1841 but thats significantly more expensive.
  • Options
    Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can pick up an 851w for under $300 and a 871w for under $400. The 870 series supports more routing protocols so if you wanted to integrate it into a lab it would be a better buy.

As zenzen mentioned the 850 series doesn't support OSPF, IGRP or EIRGP. The 850 series only supports RIP v1/v2. While the 870 series supports BGP, IGRP, OSPF and IPv6 equivalent protocols with an upgraded IOS image.

Keep in mind though on either of these of these models they aren't a 4 port managed switch. With the 870 series though you can setup multiple vlans on each switch port.

I'd recommend the 871w based on it's wider feature set also you can get one under $400 and there are two on ebay at the moment if you were so inclined.

Here's a link to a comparison chart listing the features of each router. You could get a 1801 but I haven't seen a wireless one in the last month or so on ebay. A 1841 would be great but the price tag is also great.

If you were looking at getting the 1801 series make sure you don't get fooled like me who started bidding on a CISCO1801/K9 thinking all 1801's were wireless.

1800 series

CISCO1801W-AG-E/K9 - ETSI compliant
    CISCO1801W-AG-B/K9 - FCC compliant

Happy decision making icon_cool.gif
    - Pete
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you just want SDM, theres the demo, or 3620/3640 should be a cheap cheap alternative. icon_idea.gif
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)