Options

GTA IV On tuesday

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
http://xbox360.ign.com/launch/grand-theft-auto-iv.html

One of the most delayed and anticipated games is coming out on Tuesday. Why does this have to come out right BEFORE my exam? icon_lol.gif Its looks amazing, and I cant wait to play it.

who else is shelling out the $ for this title?

Im already anticipating my wife being angry at me for a few weeks, but maybe she will be cool about it... icon_rolleyes.gif
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    I've had this one pre-ordered since November 17th 2007 on Amazon
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm in. Unfortunately, I have a load of exams coming up over the next couple of weeks, and then I'm taking a two week vacation in the middle of May, so I'm not going to get to really play it until June. I'm not sure if I'll pick it up right away or not. The other big game on my "coming soon" list is Ninja Gaiden II. I might even be looking forward to that more.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm in. Unfortunately, I have a load of exams coming up over the next couple of weeks, and then I'm taking a two week vacation in the middle of May, so I'm not going to get to really play it until June. I'm not sure if I'll pick it up right away or not. The other big game on my "coming soon" list is Ninja Gaiden II. I might even be looking forward to that more.

ouch! well, I foresee a vacation for me soon (at least I hope so), but im still buying it! Playing it might be more difficult! The online stuff looks pretty fun though. Im still not impressed with any other XBL presentation with the exception of Halo. This could be the ultimate time consumer for me this year.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i SOOOOO want this game. it looks amazing! its gona kick ass on the 360! FOR some reason ive seen more 360 advertisement that the ps3 - not sure y?

anyway im still putting this game off because ive got a ton of uni work to do, a couple of exams and some coursework, then theres ccna after that! so i'll have to fit it in between going to bed and getting up again :D

Although this is my intention i done the same thing with vegas 2. bought it, teased myself by not playing on it to do my uni work and i have finally succumbd to the pressure and its so addictive i just cant put it down!

Bring on GTA!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This will be the only game I actually buy for the 360, everything else I use GameFly which is the most amazing thing ever.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    snadam: I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer. I was disappointed you couldn't co-op through the entire game, but it looks like they have some really fun co-op content along with a lot of other competitive modes.

nel: MS paid $50 million for two exclusive episodic packs. They're going to do everything they can to pimp their version. The 360 version is definitely the way to go. http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/06/take_two_gets_5.html

stlsmoore: Same here. At least until I forgot to update my expired CC, and they sent me a collections notice icon_eek.gif I'll be back with them as soon as I get that sorted out icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I initially purchased my PS3 in April 07 in anticipation of the initial release planned in Oct 07...

Last week I bought my copy of GTA IV at a local GameStop that is doing a midnight release...at 12:01 am it will be in my hands.....

I went for the normal edition...I just couldn't justify the extra $ for the special edition for that lock box and other included items....Did you guys go for the normal edition or the special?

MS
  • Options
    MS.. I think it's time to break down and get a 360. $50 million doesn't secure just a few extra side missions. Those expansions are going to be huge. I'm not trying to start a PS3 vs. 360 debate, but PS3 owners are definitely not going to get the full experience.

I stopped purchasing special editions awhile ago. I might do it for a lesser-known game, just to boost their revenue a bit, but I usually just end up with "making of" videos that I never watch or useless crap that takes up shelf space. I'm going with the standard edition as well. Now, that limited edition GTA IV 360 is another story. If I were just picking up a 360 now (hint hint), I'd probably go with that ;)
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My PS3 is itching for this game! Cant wait seriously, shame im working loads next week though icon_sad.gif .

Gonna have a proper session next weekend i think, beer/cider chips and GTA == lads weekend in.

Lets see who is the first on the boards to beat the game. Although if you rush you might not enjoy it icon_lol.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    MS.. I think it's time to break down and get a 360. $50 million doesn't secure just a few extra side missions. Those expansions are going to be huge. I'm not trying to start a PS3 vs. 360 debate, but PS3 owners are definitely not going to get the full experience.

I stopped purchasing special editions awhile ago. I might do it for a lesser-known game, just to boost their revenue a bit, but I usually just end up with "making of" videos that I never watch or useless crap that takes up shelf space. I'm going with the standard edition as well. Now, that limited edition GTA IV 360 is another story. If I were just picking up a 360 now (hint hint), I'd probably go with that ;)

Woah, 50 mill!!!! seriously, i could think of better things to spend the money on than that!

i have to admit i used to be a hardcore playstation man, but the darkside has now converted me icon_twisted.gif

• Options
    dynamik wrote:

Yeah, I'm not one to jump on that debate thing either. My brother has a 360, so I'll get to experience it on his.....if it looks like the PS3 is really going to miss some quality stuff then I might pick one up....however, I think that games like this one cost so much to make that ultimately they will have to sell whatever they build for as many platforms as possible (360, PS3, and PC) in order to recoup costs and continue to make the profits that they're used to earning.

I thought that LE 360 GTA IV thing was only to be released to the press? Are they selling these to the public now? I might be wrong, but I thought that only 500 of those were being made???

I also think I saw something on Gizmodo about Best Buy offering a reduced price and a gift card or something for buying a 360/GTA IV bundle that looked like a pretty good deal.

MS
  • Options
    eMeS wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not one to jump on that debate thing either. My brother has a 360, so I'll get to experience it on his.....if it looks like the PS3 is really going to miss some quality stuff then I might pick one up....however, I think that games like this one cost so much to make that ultimately they will have to sell whatever they build for as many platforms as possible (360, PS3, and PC) in order to recoup costs and continue to make the profits that they're used to earning.

Well, when you're given $25 million per expansion, you probably don't have a lot of costs left to recoup. I think the only question now is whether or not they are completely exclusive to the 360 or whether they'll be a time exclusive (i.e. PS3 gamers get them a year later). Either way, 360 owners will benefit greatly from the deal; Microsoft wouldn't have dropped that kind of coin otherwise.

Here is a quote from the CVG special regarding the scale of the downloadable content:
    CVG wrote:
    Of course, to call games as vastly ambitious as Vice City or San Andreas mere 'expansion packs' seems childish, but nevertheless, the downloadable content (DLC) coming for the Xbox 360 version of IV has repositioned those games in just this way. DLC so far has meant the odd new car, jumper of bit of horse armour, but GTA IV is set to completely redefine the idea with expansions that are to GTA IV what Vice City or San Andreas were GTA III. Yes, Rockstar is clearly hinting at new downloadable cities; and the chances of them being London, Vice City or SA again are slim to none. So that's new as in brand new. GTA IV's Liberty City is the beginning. Think about that and be excited.
    eMeS wrote:
    I thought that LE 360 GTA IV thing was only to be released to the press? Are they selling these to the public now? I might be wrong, but I thought that only 500 of those were being made???

Yea. I'm sure you can find one on eBay for just a few grand. You could always try to snag a faceplate instead: http://www.dailygame.net/news/archives/007562.php icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    snadam: I'm really looking forward to the multiplayer. I was disappointed you couldn't co-op through the entire game, but it looks like they have some really fun co-op content along with a lot of other competitive modes.

im looking forward to how the multiplayer plays. On our local radio, they had 2 guys from rockstar and all they were doing was interviewing them and playing the game on air. That literally was enough hype for me to REALLY want it. The downloadable content is whats going to seperate the 360 and PS3 for this game. I'm a game junkie (and home theater junkie too) in general, so a ps3 will be in my living room sooner or later; but only for select titles (gran turismo, metal gear, etc) and for its blu-ray playing capabilities. Oh, I never buy those special edition things. I just want the game to play it. I dont care if it comes with a poster or a DVD on how the game was made. icon_rolleyes.gif

Now the hard part is, I told myself to keep the game SEALED until my exam is over with. I MUST avoid the temptation! Its going to be a tough few days... icon_lol.gif

• Options
    No Final Fantasy on that list? I bought my first PS1 for FF7. It broke, and I bought a new one when FF8 came out. I got a PS2 for FF2, and I'll probably pick up a PS3 for FF13. I actually spent most of my time on the PC side of things until the first Halo came out. I love me some FF though.

Here's a great GTA IV multiplayer write-up: http://kotaku.com/376220/hands-on-with-gta-multiplayer-city-of-chaos

Oh, and I pre-ordered mine during lunch today :D
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    No Final Fantasy on that list? I bought my first PS1 for FF7. It broke, and I bought a new one when FF8 came out. I got a PS2 for FF2, and I'll probably pick up a PS3 for FF13. I actually spent most of my time on the PC side of things until the first Halo came out. I love me some FF though.

Here's a great GTA IV multiplayer write-up: http://kotaku.com/376220/hands-on-with-gta-multiplayer-city-of-chaos

Oh, and I pre-ordered mine during lunch today :D

when is FF13 coming out? you can add that to my list also.

• Options
    snadam wrote:
    when is FF13 coming out? you can add that to my list also.

It's usually within a year of the Japanese release. Since that hasn't even been announced yet, maybe 2009, 2010? Haha.
  • Options
    http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=bellicN&content=video0

can't wait.....I wonder what the chances are of talking my local GameStop into giving me my copy NOW!!!

My wife is going to be so pissed at me by this time next week....

MS
  • Options
    only a handful of reviews so far, but they are getting the highest marks

IGN gave it a 10

IGN GTA IV Review

• Options
    snadam wrote:

IGN gave it a 10

IGN GTA IV Review

Are you saying your link is better because you took the time to format it nicely? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    snadam wrote:

IGN gave it a 10

IGN GTA IV Review

Are you saying your link is better because you took the time to format it nicely? icon_lol.gif

I used his link better because it was formatted more nicely. Sorry!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    snadam wrote:

IGN gave it a 10

IGN GTA IV Review

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gif ha, sorry about that! I guess I got too exited. Besides, i think it needed to be posted twice! :D

• Options
    dynamik wrote:

Ive yet to see a review under 90% (let alnone 95%)....I Really hope its not overhyped...

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    snadam wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Ive yet to see a review under 90% (let alnone 95%)....I Really hope its not overhyped...

If IGN gave it a 10 it is unlikely it is overhyped. They rarely give scores like that. Also some other guy on a review somewhere said its the best game hes played since zelda: ocarina of time.....which is a massive complement I guess.

cant wait for my copy tommorow!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    If IGN gave it a 10 it is unlikely it is overhyped. They rarely give scores like that. Also some other guy on a review somewhere said its the best game hes played since zelda: ocarina of time.....which is a massive complement I guess.

That was the IGN review. They said it's been a decade since the last '10'.

Here's a great (slightly NSFW) HD video review: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33327.html?type=flv
    SD Version: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33326.html?type=flv

That euphoria physics engine looks great. This is the first game to use it.

Here are some demos of it if you're not familiar with it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bKphYfUk-M
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=mmkkzhBJbPw
    http://youtube.com/results?search_query=euphoria+physics
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

thats saying something because IGN AU (9.8 ) AND UK (10) tend to be a little more realistic with their reviews.

• Options
    I've got the Provigil and coffee to help me stay awake for a few days....does anyone know someone that can insert an IV in me?

This game is awesome!

MS
  • Options
    eMeS wrote:
    ....does anyone know someone that can insert an IV in me?

Was that a pun? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    eMeS wrote:
    I've got the Provigil and coffee to help me stay awake for a few days....does anyone know someone that can insert an IV in me?

This game is awesome!

MS

Come on emes! stop teasing me. im dying for it now! is it really as good as everyone has said?