Options

CCENT Exam on Tuesday 29th April

samoolisamooli Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Stressing out a bit, Got the CCENT exam (640-822) and think Im missing something..

Would you guys say this is a tough exam?

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man,

Let us know how you get on!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    samooli wrote:
    Hey guys,

Stressing out a bit, Got the CCENT exam (640-822) and think Im missing something..

Not if you studied, and can meet the exam objectives
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They are all easy when you pass. :D

Make sure you go through the topics in the Exam Blueprint -- everything in there should be familiar to you. If anything is strange or you don't know what commands you'd use on the "Configure," "Verify," "Perform," etc. tasks, then you may not be ready. You'll want to have done hands-on practice on those tasks on real equipment or a Simulator (like Boson, which is adequate).

The Reference Sheets (PDFs) you can buy on the Cisco Press Website are also good for a review before the exam. You shouldn't be trying to learn anything new now, but you want to make sure you remember what you've already learned.

Of course, recognizing all the topics in the Exam Blueprint is what you want -- but you could still get surprised on the exam. icon_eek.gif But try not to worry about that. icon_lol.gif After mentioning that, maybe now isn't such a good time to tell you you should try to RELAX before the exam. :D

You don't get the option to Mark and Review questions -- so focus on the question at hand. Read the Question. Read ALL the answers. Then read the question AGAIN. Then mark the obviously correct answer(s). If multiple answers are required, they tell you how many. You get the radio button for single answer questions, and check box for multiple answer questions.

Check out the Cisco Certification Exam Tutorial now, so that you'll have an idea of the question types you'll get on the exam. You can use the time before the exam (where you get the option to view the tutorial) to jot down notes on your erasable marker board. You can also check out the CCNA FAQ for the link to the Cisco NDA. You'll also have a chance to read it before the exam and you must accept it to take the exam. But that's also more time to use (15 minutes I think) if you want to jot down an emergency backup subnetting **** sheet chart on your marker board.

Time Management is important on the exam. You'll be told the number of questions you're going to have and the amount time you have to finish the exam before you start the exam. You shouldn't spend more than 10 minutes on an individual SIM question. If you've done enough hands-on practice you won't even need that. But if you haven't figured it out in 10 minutes, you're just taking time away from answering the rest of the "easy questions." Cisco may also have ungraded questions as part of the exam. So it could be a new question Cisco is trying out before it becomes part of the exam -- so take your best shot and move on. Cisco has admitted that you can get partial credit on a SIM, so always try something. Remember you can use the ? to check your command options.

Relax and remember to breathe. If you get smacked by a hard question or a SIM right at the beginning, deal with it and move on. Don't let it get into your head and mess with you for the rest of the exam. Just do one question at a time, and keep an eye on the clock.

And I'll say it again -- read the Entire Question, read ALL the answers, then read the question AGAIN. If you just scan a "simple question" and jump at the "easy answer" -- you may have missed a key word or phrase in the question and fallen for a "TRAP answer."

I'm not sure if you'll get "Exhibit Questions" -- where you may have a diagram and shaggy dog story description -- but if you do, glance at the diagram, and jump down to the bottom of the question to see what they actually ask for. And maybe glance at the possible answers. Then once you have an idea of what they could be after -- then read through the question picking out the relevant information. When I first hit these question types in the Cisco CCNA Network Academy Semester Final Exam I wasted lots of time reading and paging back up to the diagram to try to understand the network -- DON"T! Just jump to the bottom first to see what they are asking for... then find just what you need in the diagram and problem text.

If you are well prepared, you'll finally realize how easy the exam is when you get your great score at the end. :D

If you're not as well prepared, then the exam will be harder -- but you can still hope for a pass. icon_eek.gif

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mentosmentos Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey samooli -

i had my 644-802 ICNDv1 on sunday that just past ( 27/4/0icon_cool.gif I didnt pass. got 650.
    After being nervous for the first 20 mins, i settled, but what my mistake was, i didnt review simple things like - a peer to peer wireless technology is what ? - IBSS (independant basic service set ) It felt like i needed to know everything at points. The simulations were ok, but those question that had 5 questions in them took a little time. As other have mentioned - be mindfull of the time.

Im going to buy the Wendell Odom third edition ccent / icnd v1 - i had a brief scan of it and will go for this exam again later on.

good luck !!
    a+ n+ ccna
    studying for ccnp route
  • Options
    mentosmentos Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    oops - its 640-822 ICND1 - not as ive mentioned above. - hehe
    a+ n+ ccna
    studying for ccnp route
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just make sure that you're comfortable with all the subjects covered on the exam.
    http://cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html

Book study and knowledge usually is no problem after having read through the study guides and Cisco online resources, but the sims are usually where most people feel they have difficulty due to lack of exposure and hands-on experience with IOS. If you are comfortable with basic configuration for both routers and switches for IPv4 using RIP/RIPv2 as well as basic techniques for troubleshooting, then you should be fine.
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the very best of luck to you, im working up to this one too, let us know how it goes icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck... let us know how it goes...

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well today is the big day, let us know how you do, were all rooting for you!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    samooli wrote:
    Hey guys,

How did you do!!!??? I am anxious to hear. I once had a psychology teacher tell us that is beneficial to stop reviewing and studying an hour before the test. In other words, if your exam is at 5pm, do not review or study past 4pm and rest. I dunnno... just food for thought.

Well let me (us) know how you did! I am very anxious to hear your thoughts!

Dale
  • Options
    samoolisamooli Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dazerski wrote: »
    How did you do!!!??? I am anxious to hear. I once had a psychology teacher tell us that is beneficial to stop reviewing and studying an hour before the test. In other words, if your exam is at 5pm, do not review or study past 4pm and rest. I dunnno... just food for thought.

Well let me (us) know how you did! I am very anxious to hear your thoughts!

Dale

Sorry for the delay! I was blocked from the site for some reason!

PASSED, it was a very hard test I didnt realise that if I had failed it, then I wouldn't be able to resit it for some time afterwards.

Brilliant! There is no easy way to pass this other than to read, read, read and the simulations were pretty basic so dont spend too much time on sims, learn the theory

CEENT
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    samooli wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay! I was blocked from the site for some reason!

PASSED, it was a very hard test I didnt realise that if I had failed it, then I wouldn't be able to resit it for some time afterwards.

Brilliant! There is no easy way to pass this other than to read, read, read and the simulations were pretty basic so dont spend too much time on sims, learn the theory

CEENT

Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif

You must have taken to drunken_smilie.gif rather early. Shouldn't it be CCENT? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    leviatusleviatus Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off, congrats on the pass!

There's some great advice in this thread and mikej412's post is especially helpful. I'm set to take my ICND1 exam on Monday and I'm already starting to get the pre-exam jitters. I think it's more excitement than worry, however. I feel I've studied pretty hard for these past two months (Lammle/Sybex book, CBT-Nuggets, PacketTracer, subnettingquestions) and I'm looking forward to seeing how it's paid off.