Options

HOPE FOR ALL!

NetAdmin1234NetAdmin1234 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I started working with communications equipment in the Army in 2000 and did that for 4 years.

I left the military and started my own computer repair biz with no certs or degree's I still to this day have no A+ no Network+ no MCSA or MCSE or CCNA or Degree of any kind.

I started being the outsource and help desk for 5 medium size biz's around town running 5U servers win2003 and 2000 with 6-45 users.

I did this for 4 years and made about 60k per year at it which is very good for my area.

So, 3 weeks ago a client of mine walks in and says hey we need a NA at our place.

I gave my resume' to the parent companies IT Manager he called we spoke I asked him if me not being certified was an issue he quickly said no because he considers then to be worth the paper they are written on and that is it.

I was shocked!

Now granted I have 8 years of experience which obviously is worth more than any degree to him!

So, I got the job.

I am responsible for

Win2003 Standard
File Server
Application Server
Blackberry Server
Exchange Server
Domain Controller
VPN
Wireless Network

And, more as I am only on my 3rd day on the job.

So the fun part my pay.........

$47,500 + Full Benefits + Window Office + NO BOSS....well I have a manager but he is in finance so........yeah no boss really I have free rain of my day I fix what I want when I want how I want per company policy ofcourse!

SO, all you certified and degree ppl out there start your own biz you can run it from home, besure you have a good disclaimer that you have everyone you help sign that releases you from all liability and be sure you have liability insures of 1 million minimum in case you get sued.

I never got sued but, I did get spit on and that cost me $400 and a night in jail. I broke the guys jaw and eye socket ........you just dont spit on a Ranger HOOAH! HOOAH!

Comments

• Options
    kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool story. All the best.
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    [BAD ANALOGY TIME]

I look at certifications as the topping to a really great dessert. They add just the right amount of extra something.

[/BAD ANALOGY TIME]

But take that with a grain of salt since I haven't look for a new job in almost 22 years. But, lucky me I will be looking starting 1/1/2009 when I am layed off!

Cheers on the new job!
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As I said to all IT guy before, "Experience is the key, Certification only enhanced your career!'
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Congrats on the new job. Sounds pretty sweet and probably more dependable than running your own company. Still I have to wonder what kind of salary you would be at if your 4 years in IT were combined with a MCSE/CCNA etc. Worth considering...
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    so, you went from 60k+ as your own boss to 47k working for someone?

awesome stuff you are getting your hands on though...
  • Options
    NetAdmin1234NetAdmin1234 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welp with benefits I easily come out ahead consider I was paying all my own health care and tons of taxes at the end of the year all the paperwork ever month its so much better working for someone else!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welp with benefits I easily come out ahead consider I was paying all my own health care and tons of taxes at the end of the year all the paperwork ever month its so much better working for someone else!

Good luck with it all but I suggest you pass some exams now. Overall you have been pretty lucky. There are lots of people with timeserved experience who get passed over because they have no degree and certifications. If the guy spat at you Im glad you smashed his face in but that wont impress employers in the long run ;)
  • Options
    jarjarjarjar Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What I have seen in the "corporate world" thus far, so this is just my experience, is that experience matters to those who understand and work with technology. But (and this is a big BUTT), the people in HR and other higher-ups are the people who make the job criteria. To make it to the IT people, one must first make it past these HR types. Can ya guess what the HR types think ya need? You guessed it: Degrees and Certifications. This is just MHO based on my experience.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Experience is king. There's no argument to that. OJT > certs.

Degree/certs are just supposed to help you get your foot in somewhere where the market is very competitive.

I agree with him though, the certs arent worth the paper they're printed on. A passing score on no tests I have taken are representative of the work I do/have done or my ability. They're just a necessary evil of the industry.

Im sure there are enough "this guy had X cert and asked me how to do X" stories to fill the techexams databases up.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what a nice story :)

good luck my friend :D