Options

Assigning ports on a 3560 PoE Switch

japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have the opportunity to configure a Catalyst 3560 switch to replace an older one in one of our sites. The site has the following right now:

1) Router, 2)file and print server 3) the older switch. It is a small site; however, we are upgrading to the new switch on which we want to implement a couple VLANS. We also want to install some WAP(wireless access points) and a PBX system.

I have created 2 VLANS on fa0/41 and fa0/42 and reserved fa0/1, fa0/2, fa0/3, fa0/4 and fa0/5 for Router link, File & Print Server, WAP1, WAP2 and PBX respectively. I also set the speed for all the 48 ports to 100.

In reserving the first 5 ports, I simply made a description of each in the configuration file, saved and copied it to the startup config. My question is:

1) Do I need to do anything different with port 1 in order for the switch to talk to the router or is it just a plug in the link from the router into that port and it's good to go?

2) Is there anything more to do with my current configurations?

Please note that VLANS, WAP1, WAP2 and PBX are not going to implemented immediately, but just wanted to get them done because the switch is going to be installed in a branch in the Hawaiian island - wish they could send me there:)
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    You're off to a good start.

Providing all the devices from ports 2 through 5 are in the same network as the router's ethernet port, you're gold.

However, if you do end up implementing vlans other than 1, you'll need to configure:

a) the switch's port 1 as a trunk to carry multiple-vlan traffic

b) the router's ethernet port with sub-interfaces, so that the individual vlans (and their subnets) have independant gateways.

For now, you're fine, since the switch will only be a simple layer-2 switch. When the other vlans get used, you're not quite so simple anymore, and a bit more config is required.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a bunch Mike for the confirmation; I will have more questions down the road as we get ready to implement vlans.
    Thank you once again and thanks to all the members of this fabulous site who are always willing to help others.