Options

Failed with a 630....

BigLouBigLou Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
This was a few months ago, got so frustrated because I know the OS really well but the tests ask so many ridiculous, irrelevant, impractical questions so i stopped studying for a while.. I also didnt get a print out after the test to see what areas I did weak in. I didnt see the option for it.

But i want to get back at it because its been gnawing at me.

So my question is how far or close away was I from passing with a 630?

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I wouls say maybe 3 questions. Its tough to say just because we dont know how much each one is worth.

Take it again. You will get it this time.

Good Luck
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, it was probably only around 4 questions. A fail always sucks, but it's not like you got a 200. MS tests are tricky, so don't get so down on yourself for such a narrow miss. I believe you can call up the testing center or Prometric (or VUE if you took it there when they still offered them) and get another print-out. It should always be given to you; it's not an option you select.

If you're still feeling nervous, register with the second shot offer, which gives you a free retake if you happen to fail again. I believe you have to make your first attempt by the end of May and the second by the end of June.

Good luck!
  • Options
    TrigunTrigun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think that trick is with the MS exams or any IT exams in fact is to read the questions carefully and I mean carefully word-for-word. I stuffed up a few times becuase I was quick to answer the question, but then if you re-read it just one only one little word steers you away from what you thinkis correct to the actual correct answer...

Take your time, read carefully and re-read twice if you have to ... you got 2 hrs buddy... and another hint is not to concentrate like a lunatic on every dialog box, command line switch word-for-word etc.. know the most important ones of course... BUT ... MS tend to ask you a lot of scenario based questions rather then where do you click or where is this-n-that option located in Windows.

It was like that for MCDST, and 70-621 and in 70-270.

So smoke up McLovin life's short.
  • Options
    I had no idea i was maybe 3-5 questions from pasing, i thought I was way further than that. That's encouraging.

I agree with Trigun, I my problem is I have trouble understanding what some questions are asking. That's a much bigger problem for me then the material itself. I ususally ace all the straight forward questions. I guess I just have to just break down teh questions a little closer.

Thanks again guys.
  • Options
    MikeInMoseleyMikeInMoseley Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Exam technique is definately an art you have to learn to progress. It is mainly practice (via Transcender or whatever) but the below link may help:

Microsoft Exams - Question Techniques
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Bummer man. No one like to fail.

I wouldn't feel bad about failing a Microsoft exam though. They can be tricky. I just passed my 70-290 the other day but I felt kinda stupid during the test. I could have easily failed. I'm studying for 70-270 now and I've noticed there is a lot of material.

I think if you just study hard for another 3 weeks or so, take it again, you'll be fine. You've seen it once now and know what type of questions they have.

Free study notes/guides...
    1) Technotes from this site
    2) Study guide from Cramsession (from Preplogic)
    http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/exams/windows-xp-pro.asp
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Thanks NetAdmin
  • Options
    RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
    Good Luck for the 2nd shot.
  • Options
    Which practice exams most accurately depict the exam? I use the microsoft press practice tests that came with the XP book that I have. I am hearing good things about transcender and am willing to purchase it if it'll help.

Thanks
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Sorry to hear about your experiences. I hope you have better luck with the retake.

I use ExamForce and SelfTest Software practice tests.

The latter are from the same company as Transcender - but are cheaper.

I think I tried using the free tests with the MS Press book but eventually concentrated on the 2 above. They were much closer in style to the actual exam, and when you got a question wrong they tended to explain why the correct answers were correct and the wrong answers were wrong much better.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    I just purchased the transcender study pack and I just went through it briefly, I really like the flash cards section and the few practice exam questions i took appear to depict the real exam more than the measure up questions.
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    BigLou wrote:
    I just purchased the transcender study pack and I just went through it briefly, I really like the flash cards section and the few practice exam questions i took appear to depict the real exam more than the measure up questions.

Once you get 270 out of the way, their sims questions for the Server 2003 exams (70-290/291/293/294) are very good too - and the look & feel of the case study questions in the design exams (297 & 29icon_cool.gif are accurate.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Biglou, failing your first Microsoft test isn't too bad. It is hard to know exactly what you are going to see especially if you didn't buy a good practice test package like Transcenders.

The best way to pass these tests is to know what every single answer really is then try to fit the answer into the question. When the last piece fits and the other answer mostly don't make sense (some will be tempting) then go for your instinct.

So that means if they ask what tool is best for knowing the routing communication direction.

A. netstat
    B. tracert
    C. ping
    D. pathping

and you don't know what pathping is, then you are at a disadvantage because tracert works great but is not the BEST. So when studying questions make sure you know what ALL the answers mean!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Mishra wrote:
    So when studying questions make sure you know what ALL the answers mean!

+1 , couldnt agree more.

I suggested this in another post just yesterday, if you know what the answers will do / what the end result will be then you will know if they fit or dont and why.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    The transcender questions seem to be much more easier to understand than the measure up tests. I took a practice exam of 27 questions only on the installing Windows XP part and got 78% correct. With measure up i was CONSTANTLY struggling with their questions.
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    You did better than me.. i scored a measly 609... but i did it with second shot... It was kinda an experiment because i had previously never taken an cert exam before... I just finished both my A+ and that test help me weigh myself in studying for cert exams... Im glad because if would have been a waste of 300 bucks... i got my secondshot so now i know what to expect from the 70 270..

My lowest marks were on Configuring and Troubleshooting the Desktop Environment... Anyone have any advice for me?