Options

Voip Lab

momen46momen46 Banned Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there ,
can any body tell me if there is a chance to have Practise GWGK without buyin' the equ.
Like a program or somethig
i heared that it possible using GNS
but how to build a lab on vmware using soft phone and these stuff ?
thank u

(Excuse me for my bad English ) :D

Comments

• Options
    nagennagen Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My friend there is no real replacement for real equipment if you want to be a chef you cannot use kitchen simulator same way if you want to learn cisco, knock your head against real gear. I know some people have build up a partial ccie voice lab on a single pc !! ask google you will finally gonna get there.
    regards,
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This one?
    http://www.dynagen.org/tutorial.htm

Anyway, I am still waiting for my 2nd and 3rd MC3810 on eBay.... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As I posted recently -- Dynamips and Dynagen along with VMWare can take a bite out of the cost of building a home Voice Lab, but its still not a 100% software solution.

I've used Dynamips/Dynagen to configure Gatekeepers and Gatekeeper Clusters and it seemed to work fine. I tried IP-IP Gateways, and that seemed to work fine. You may be able do some Gateway configurations that don't specifically need voice ports or DSP resources for transcoding. But without the voice ports I'm not sure how you'd do the PSTN -- so you're back to needing SOME real hardware.

Dynamips/Dynagen can be configured to talk to real hardware and PCs running VMWare (and CallManager, CallManager Applications, and IP Softphones). But you're going to have to spend a bunch of time learning VMWare and going through the Dynamips Tutorial. And then you'll probably spend a bunch more time doing some some trial and error configurations to find what works and what doesn't.

Let me just cut and paste some of the Dynamips (and Dynagen) stuff from several other CCVP Posts. Some of the links in the I want to setup my own home CCVP lab. What should I buy and how do I set it up? section of the CCVP FAQ already have some of the Dynamips Information in it.

GNS3 is a memory hog graphical front end to Dynamips and Dynagen -- but if you have a powerful PC then I guess it might be worth a try. I tried it on a Core 2 Laptop with 2 Gigs of memory and it wasn't worth it. I've got Dynamips and Dynagen running on a few Quad-Core machines and didn't even bother trying it on them. You can find Dynamips/Dynagen links in the I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator? section of the CCNP FAQ.
    I haven't tried Dynamips/Dynagen for the Voice stuff yet -- but I think someone posted they were running CallManager Express with it. I think anything that doesn't need the Voice Modules is fair game for Dynamips.
    There are individual threads about the equipment used for the CCVP and CCSP in the forums -- but both of these certifications (and the corresponding CCIE versions) have larger and more expensive hardware requirements than the CCNP/CCIP (and the corresponding R&S and Service Provider CCIEs). But for the CCSP and CCVP, renting rack time would still be cheaper (but less convenient) then building a home lab. The hybrid approach usually works best -- get the hardware you can afford and use rack rental for the rest. Also, Dynamips (with Dynagen) and PEMU are two emulation options to check out for the home lab.
    You can also check out the HOWTOs over at hack.at to see what people have gotten to work for Voice with Dynamips.
    People have hacked together some stuff from Dynamips -- but the more useful it is, the more likely it violates someone software licenses.

Check out the 7200emu.hacki.at - Dynamips, Dynagen and all that stuff forum. I think I might have posted a direct link to one of the HOWTOs in a previous CCVP Forum thread. Someone has CME working with softphones within a Dynamips/Dynagen environment.
    You'd want your gateways and gatekeepers -- since you'd be using CallManager to configure them. You'll want the analog and digital ports in your voice routers and gateways -- otherwise you really don't have that much you can configure.

You'll want DSP resources somewhere in your lab, so you can configure transcoding and conferencing.

I've got the home hardware lab, so I haven't tried much with Dynamips for Voice. It could save you some money on routers (like for Gatekeepers, Gatekeeper Clusters, and SRST) but you'll need some real hardware for some of the things I mentioned above.
    I mentioned Dynamips in the ccvp home lab info thread. But there currently are no simulated voice ports and you can't do everything you need to learn for the CCVP, so it's only useful for replacing some of the physical routers you would have had in a home Voice Lab.

Check out the ccvp free simulator thread for the link to the 7200emu.hacki.at Dynamips and Dynagen forums.

Dynamips and Dynagen along with VMWare can take a bite out of the cost of building a home Voice Lab, but its still not a 100% software solution.

I'd say the standard advice still applies -- build (or borrow) what you can and rent rack time for the rest.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!