Options

MCSE to MCITP Enterprise Admin

preecypreecy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

How does the MCSE 2003 upgrade to MCITP 2008 Enterprise Admin work... it isnt very clear to me?

Obvioulsy i need 70-649, 70-647 and one of the Vista exams. But do i need to sit 70-646 or can i skip this by sitting the 70-647 exam?

In other word do i have to sit 70-646 to become both MCITP: Administrator & MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

MCITP - 2008 Admin
70-649 - upgrading your mcse
70-646 - 2008 admin

MCITP - 2008 Enterprise Admin
70-649 - upgrading your mcse
70-620 or 70-624 - vista
70-647 - 2008 enterprise admin
next up SharePoint... what's that all about!

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm pretty sure you don't need the 646 to get your enterprise administrator. The MCSA isn't a pre-req for MCSE either it just so happens you usually get it. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From MS's site

Credit toward certification

When you pass Exam 70-646: PRO: Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator, you earn credit toward the following certification:

Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Server Administrator
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Royal had a detailed post about this: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24388

646 is Server Admin and 647 is for Enterprise Admin. You can do both, but you don't need 646 for EA, as Mishra stated.
  • Options
    preecypreecy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheers guys ;)

So an mcsa is equivalent to mcitp: server administrator and mcse = mcitp: server enterprise administrator.
    next up SharePoint... what's that all about!
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Yes but Microsoft wont say that. Even though its true.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know if it's on the exactly on the same level but it's close enough. 7 exams compared to 5. Not to mention if you go the messaging or security track which would be 8.

EM + EA = MCSE/M ?

? + EA = MCSE/S?

Waiting for a security track for 08.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    [quote=Trika]Question: Is there an equivalent for 70-298, (security focus)? I don't see security focus on any of the new exams.

Answer: The Microsoft Security Product Group asked us to cover security in all our exams vs. doing separate, security-focused exams on particular technolgies. We are investigating the idea of doing a security-focused job role certification but that is still in the research phase...[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not.

SA = Administration = MCSA
    EA = Design = MCSE
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    From Microsoft's website, doesn't look like there will be a Security specialization.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Last I heard, they said they're including security in the other exams, so there won't be a specialization. Messaging has it's own MCITP.

Things like this are always liable to change though. Who knows, maybe we'll see a security MCITP in a year or two. It doesn't seem like it's in the works though.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    No, there won't be a security-speciality, as Trika mentioned in her blog and was mentioned in the original announcement-video a few months ago. Security topics for each technology, (Windows Server 2008, Vista, Exchange 2007, etc,) will be included in the general MCTS and MCITP certs.

This chart gives an outline of what exams are required to upgrade to both MCITP: Enterprise Administrator and MCITP: Server Administrator from either MCSA or MCSE.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.