Options

Not just USA jobs taken by Outsourced! UK gets hit!

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Paul worked as a police officer in the UK from 1989 to 2000 and then left to pursue a career in the IT industry. He started out on a helpdesk doing basic desktop support. He studied hard and passed his CCNA and MCSE and was quickly offered a role working at Cisco TAC in the UK. Paul worked there for two years until it was moved out to India.

Hey, I had to post this. This guy has gone into teaching cause his job was taken away
by outsourced to India haaaahahahah. Not just USA but the world of IT is going to India
I had to laugh! Man I want to live in India so I can get a good IT job! $hit! cause they are far and few here in USA! I read and article in Information Week on IT salaries and job
scarcity and people in IT not happy unless you making 60-100k a year for the stuff they do.
It said in there that baby boomers retiring and employers paying the new young bucks 10 to 30 K less
than the resident IT Manager (baby boomer retiring) holy crap

It is not just USA IT jobs but UK as well! holy crap!

I love my IT career but boy you have to have 20 bigs certs 10 years IT min to land anything of
worth holy crap was I pissed to see this!

India here I come! icon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I listened to a BBC documentary on the radio about all this in 1997. It was UK and US professionals living well in India with servants setting everything up back them so this could happen today.

Offshoring of one form or another has been going on since the end of the second world war in all industries starting with textiles. It's not a new phenomenon. But many people rely on mainstream news to get their news instead of doing their own research. By the time it gets on the news and they learn about it, it's old news. I tried to discuss it with americans at the time in 1997 but they were busy watching the superbowl.

Offshoring is here, and in the years ahead, I expect many offshore workers to want to immigrate to the west to get away from the overcrowding in their countries.

The only advice I can give anyone is, try not to be offshored. As for language, experience and softskills, well the offshore Indians I work with, their English is improving, and with every day they hold a job down taken from a westener..so is their experience.

Food for thought 5 years down the line.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i know this has been going on a long time but man when's enough going to be enough? Do you think it will come to the point when there are very few jobs regardless of sector due to moves like this in the western world? if so i dont get how companies think they are going to continue with there profits because no one will have enough money to buy a thing! it feels like its hard enough in the UK alone with oil spiraling out of control, the price of food etc etc....feels like scary times at the moment.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Still just feels like a lot of fear mongering to me. When the bar gets raised just make sure your skills raise right along with it. I still see lots of jobs getting posted every day. Just because I don't get the job is more my fault than anyone else's.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Turgon wrote:
    As for language, experience and softskills, well the offshore Indians I work with, their English is improving, and with every day they hold a job down taken from a westener..so is their experience.

Food for thought 5 years down the line
    ...when the need for Chinese-speaking customer support people will be greater than that for English.
  • Options
    undomiel said:
    I don't get the job is more my fault than anyone else's.

dude i disagree completly! i had a 2nd interview i specified 50 k to this bank i was interewing for who had 4 branch offices and entire IT banking system managed by me (if i got the job) and do the networking aspect. Setup an exchange server etc..much more..theguy say 45 min to start off. i had 2 interviews. i know for a fact the guy who got the job got paid less than 45k cause
    employers play games. i kick Arse in interviews. I bring in a super portfolio. I even remote into my home ssystems and show them what i setup at home. My cisco pod etc...but you know.
    i have seen 1,000 times, it is the guy who talks crap says he can do it and ask for peanuts.
    I have seen some guys get breaks but man! it is a 50/50 crap shoot! depends on so many things. I could have gotten it if i ask for 40k and work me like a dog never see my family.
    i dont know it sucks! the next guy will work for peanutes and land the job. i am going to change my ways. i think i will ask for peanuts andthen land the job and then work my butt off and then ask for more money later on once i get a hold on them! you have to play rough with employers these days and as far as outsourcing being around along time sure but not to the degree that it is now; it is as bad as gas prices.
    gas prices in the last 3 years has gone up 2.00 plus but go back 20 years ago it has only gone up 4.00. that means it took 20 years for 2.00 rise. times arer changing. i am scared. not out of control scared and pissed off!

and the kicker is, you can run your car of water (HHO cars) government is investing money but does anyone care about the small guy! nope it is dog eat dog!
    grrrrrr my 2.3 cents
    :D

hey i am not slamming anyone just making conversation so noone be offended..
    i dont blame indians for wanted jobs, just it just makes life harder!
    when the heada IT manager was making 65k-75k and you are highered and you start off at 40-45k
    that pisses me off! for same job same capacity!
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Out-sourcing has been going on for awhile now ... this is old news for almost a decade. India standard of living has been constantly improving, so much so that now the cost of outsourcing has increased. The cost advantage is no longer what it uses to be, especially for U.S.-IT due to the weakening of the American dollars.

http://www.parapundit.com/archives/005143.html
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Outsourcing will continue to be the trend. India is going to be hurting though, as companies are looking more at China, Vietnam, and more recently, Africa. I've also seen some manufacturing outsourced to Central and South America. For some companies, it's all about squeezing more blood out of a turnip, and for others, they have to do it just to be able to compete with the ones squeezing blood from a turnip, or get out of the business.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    It is more complicated than an issue of Indian companies undercutting US / UK companies.

One problem we face in the UK is that successive governments have engineered a situation where there is much less protection for employees than the rest of Europe. The intention was always that this makes the UK's workforce "flexible" and thus attractive to inward investment. However, when a global company is cutting back in Europe - where are they going to bring the axe down? In continental Europe where the redundancy costs per employee are substantial? Or in the UK, where they can get away with writing off a few hundred quid per employee?

The problem for us is that when these global companies look to expand again, are they going to expand in Europe - and hopefully be attracted back by all the UK's inducements to inward investment - or expand in Asia, where they perceive cheap labour and a growing market.

So - it hasn't always been a case of companies consciously outsourcing / offshoring.

One of my concerns about "globalisation" though, is when one country can improve its competitiveness by allowing dumping of toxic waste into rivers used for water supplies, whilst others who do not retain high costs of infrastructure of their societies. Does this imply that in order to remain competitive, we must all adopt the same low standards and casual disregard for other human beings?
    -- Dan
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    All of my JTAC calls always answered by indian people. Infact every single one this last year or so. I dont have a problem when their english is good and they are helpfull, which 99% of the time they are.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Pash

it is not about how great the East Indians are doing. It is about one place taking up all the jobs
    becasue they are cheap! I met a web developer here in the states. And he has a masters degree in web development. And I make more than he does and he is outsourced from India!

it is a shame that these companies pay people who are skilled crap! Because those who have thd Gold make the rules plane and simple! Infact the East Indian friend of mine was pissed that
    he was getting paid way less than he should and all his schooling commaned but what do you do? quit? not!

it just sucks!

I am just hoping to land a small town job for big bucks! and stay there. i can live off of 75k a year easy! and I would never **** about anything! just give me my slice of pie! :D
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    So basically what you're saying is that you're upset that more competition makes it more difficult to get a job which otherwise would be easier without the competition. I still say the onus is on you. You're the one that needs to have the skills and the savvy to prove to the companies that you are worth what you're asking, more so than the guy who is asking less. If the guy who is asking less got hired, whether you think you are more skilled than him or not, it just means that for the company his skills are sufficient for the pay. If they made a mistake, that is their fault, no skin off your back, just move on and prove yourself all the more at the next interview.

I don't know if you are at all like your posts in the forums here outside of the net but if you are then I would suggest learning to calm down and check the attitude of superiority at the door. It will help with perspective.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
This discussion has been closed.