Options

Question about Parallel link cable

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wondering if a parallel link cable is just another name for a crossover cable?
The reason I ask is because i'm about to transfer files from
a old PC running Window 3.1 to either XP or Vista. Don't know if
it's different names for the same cable. I doubt it is but just want to make sure.
Anyone familiar with this software? Any recommendation for transferring
files from Win 3.1 to XP?
http://www.briggsoft.com/lmaven.htm

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No -- I think I still have a yellow DB-25 to DB-25 Parallel Port to Parallel Port Data Transfer Cable somewhere.

Back in the days of LapLink software, long before the ascendancy of networks, people would use their Serial Ports or their "faster" Parallel Ports to transfer data (and files) between PCs. icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Buy a cheap USB->PATA adapter and yank the drive. It'll be quicker and more useful than getting that software and cable. If you really can't do that then you can make or buy the cable. It shouldn't be hard to make if you can solder or find somebody who can.

The parallel cable they want is wired specially. An original PC parallel port had 8 data output lines and a small number of status lines of which only 5 were inputs. The way the cable works is that 4 of the data output lines from 1 PC were wired to 4 of the status input lines on the other PC. You'd have the other direction wired up as well so you can do bidirectional communication. You'd then have to split every single byte into two 4 bit nibbles and send them over the cable.
  • Options
    I'm doing this for a friend who just brought a laptop and wants to transfer .txt files
    only from his old PC. Don't know what kind of cable I would use to connect from his
    desktop to his laptop. I'm not sure if his older computer has a IDE 40-pin connector
    I'll see tomorrow. I think I might have a DB-25 to DB-25 Parallel Port to Parallel Port Data
    laying around somewhere just in case I need it. Is this what you are talking about?
    http://www.satacables.com/html/sata_to_ide_adapter.html PATA adapter seems to be a good idea. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
  • Options
    connecting the hard drive using the VANTEC will I be able to see the drive on my laptop
    without any software?
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    If you are using 2000, XP, 2003, or 2008 then yes, you can see it automatically after you plug it in to the USB port.

If its 95, 98 or ME you can install the driver. And as long as the drive is formatted with FAT16 or FAT32 then you should be able to see the drive. It wont be able to see a drive formatted with NTFS.
  • Options
    ok man thanks.