Options

Accidently deleted config.text file

JONATHANBKNYJONATHANBKNY Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone. I know that this post probably sounds familiar but deleted my config.text file. I can load the new IOS no problem but withou the file the switch does not boot properly. Am I missing something or is there a command to get the switch to recreat the config.text file... In the other post regarding this topic, the poster never really explained how he was able to recreat the config.text file.

Anyway

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What do you mean by doesn't boot properly?

If you had an IOS image in flash and no config.text file, most switches would ask if you want to run setup to configure the switch.

What model of switch?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    People delete the config.text all the time, it's what you do if you forget the password or have bought a used switch. (you could also rename it)

You can also hold the mode button down for 10 seconds which renames the two startup files (config.text and private-config.text). Useful if you can't get to the command line.

The mode reset can be disabled with the "no setup express" command, so if it's been disabled the reset won't work.

If your goal is to totally reset your switch, make sure you delete the vlan.dat file also.
  • Options
    AaronfbAaronfb Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    People delete the config.text all the time, it's what you do if you forget the password

Deleting the config probably isnt the best way to recover a password.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Aaronfb wrote:
    People delete the config.text all the time, it's what you do if you forget the password

Deleting the config probably isnt the best way to recover a password.

Technically, the best way (and the official Cisco way) is to rename the config.text file in case you need the old config. If you buy a used switch, you most likely are not going to use the old config so you may as well delete it.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Netwurk wrote:
    Technically, the best way (and the official Cisco way) is to rename the config.text file in case you need the old config. If you buy a used switch, you most likely are not going to use the old config so you may as well delete it.

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If your goal is to recover/reset the password, you should rename config.text, then boot up, rename it back to config.text and then do a configure from memory which loads config.text back into ram, change your password, and issue write mem.
    Jack of all trades, master of none