Options

Packet Tracker anyone ?

ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am 12 weeks away from taking the CCENT exam and have finished with half of the study material (using Todd Lammle's CCENT book).

I have heard many here using Packet Tracker for internetworking simulations and practicing CLI and SDM.

As far as passing the newly designed exam (640-822), how important is using the Packet Tracker to help one pass the exam ?

Also, where is the best way to get the latest version of Packet Tracket (4.1), that is legal ?
----
Studying CCENT/ICND1 (640-822)
Future tests:
in 2008: CCENT, SSCP, Linux+, A+,
in 2009: CCNA/ICND2 (640-816), C|EH, CWNA, CWSP,
in 2010: CCNP, CCSP.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's available for download as part of the Cisco Network Academy Program.

Packet Tracer has gotten better since my Academy days -- but we didn't use it then because we had real hardware in the lab -- and it still doesn't do everything you need to learn if you want to be a CCNA. It's an okay platform for homework assignments.

Rumors of a future version may bring it up to par for usability with Boson.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    I used the Cisco Press Books, Odom, and Packet Tracer along with the CCENT CBT Nugget videos exclusively. For what you need to with the CCENT Packet Tracer is more than what you need. Though it does not support every command and all situations that you might want to run a lab for. It is more than perfect for doing basic equipment configuration and troubleshooting that you will need for the CCENT.