Options

Only a couple of hours to go! UPDATE: PASSED!

reeves122reeves122 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know I don't post very much but I am an active visitor on this site. I've learned quite a lot from reading all of your posts so thank you for that!

Anyway, I'm just a couple of hours away from my first attempt at the 640-802.
For those who wonder, here is what I've used to prepare:
- ICND1/2 CBT Nuggets
- CCNA Cisco Press library from Wendell Odom
- CCNA Study Guide from good ole' Lammle (definitely my favorite book!)
- CCNA Portable Command Guide (A very good little book!)
- Cisco IOS in a nutshell
- Cisco IOS Cookbook
- Network Warrior
- Mastering Cisco Routers (sybex)

Yes, i've read all of these in the past year or so. I've read Lammle's book probably twice or three times. Also taken the practice exams with the ICND1/2 Library (very hard!) and Lammle's book.

Here is my lab setup:
3x 2501's
1x 2514
1x 2620 (NM-4A/S)(WIC-1T)
1x 2611XM (WIC-1T)
1x 2511 Access Server
2x 2950
1x 2912
2x 1912

I used the 2620 as a FR Switch (among other things) and it worked quite well!

Overall I feel prepared for this thing. I know it's hard and I hear about people failing it many times so i'm trying not to get overly optimistic.

We shall see in a couple of hours though! Thank you all again for everything.
The EAST Initiative
"We believe our students will change the world."
http://www.eastinitiative.com/

Comments

• Options
    DrFlashDrFlash Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck man!

let us know how you get on either way!!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll be fine. You have really prepared yourself. Good Luck!
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    You look like you are well on your way.
    This is where planning and preparation pays off.
    Good luck
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you are well prepared. Try to relax and keep an eye on your time. Let us know how it turned out.

Good luck! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Okay, just got back.

PASSED! :D:D:D
    933/1000

Guys let me tell you. This exam is HARD. Don't just know the theory, know why things happen and what should happen under all circumstances. Get your hands dirty with a live network to see how things actually work. I studied for a year and read all those books and I can say it was still very difficult.

Anyway, as for what's next?
    I have about three semesters left before I graduate with a BBA in Management Info Systems so I'd really like to get a couple more certs to add to my resume before then. As for which ones? I have no clue. I need to figure out which would be most appealing to a company hiring a fresh college graduate. Still thinking about a MCSA with Security+ elective which should be easy to do before I graduate. Or, I could do what I probably should do and venture into the realm of the CCNP.
    Anyone with thoughts on this?

Anyway, thank you all for your support and I wish you the very best with your ventures!
    Thanks,

Justin
    The EAST Initiative
  • Options
    sprinkl3ssprinkl3s Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my best suggestion would be some work experience (more then likely help desk) but any work experience you can get your hands on.
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent work!!!
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice. I am currently in a technical support position with a small company that services hundreds of school computer-type labs. So you could call me help desk I guess. The labs are windows domains with about a dozen workstations and a domain controller.
    I also help manage the internal network which consists of about 5 servers of which include Exchange, ISA, IIS, MSSQL, and a couple of domain controllers.

I've learned a HECK of a lot in this position but I have debated on looking for an internship with a larger company.
    The EAST Initiative
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass and good job with the high score thats awesome.
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Noooooooo! Don't say it's hard!! now im all scared again :P just kidding, gratz on your pass :D That is definitely something to be very proud of!

Take care
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats man, great score! celebrate in style!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    reeves122 wrote:
    PASSED!
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Unless you can get an internship that lets you get some Cisco Networking Experience, adding the MCSA to your existing experience may be your best bet. You'd have the MCSA/CCNA combo (even without Cisco work experience) that could still get your resume yanked from a pile.

If you could squeeze in the BSCI and BCMSN exams closer to graduation, those would help refresh most of the CCNA Knowledge and Skills you've acquired. That could help if you were interviewing after graduation for networking positions.

Once you have a certification and move on to others, remember to periodically review the material so that you don't have to go on a wild cramming spree to try and brush up your knowledge and skills for an interview.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! If it wasn't a bit difficult you wouldn't appreciate it's worth as much... :D

Good job. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Sounds like you were very prepared. BTW, how much does it cost to setup a lab like the one you have? I'm currently reading Lammle's CCENT, but do not have any simulators or HW.
    ----
    Studying CCENT/ICND1 (640-822)
    Future tests:
    in 2008: CCENT, SSCP, Linux+, A+,
    in 2009: CCNA/ICND2 (640-816), C|EH, CWNA, CWSP,
    in 2010: CCNP, CCSP.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    reeves122 wrote:
    Okay, just got back.

933/1000

Guys let me tell you. This exam is HARD. Don't just know the theory, know why things happen and what should happen under all circumstances. Get your hands dirty with a live network to see how things actually work. I studied for a year and read all those books and I can say it was still very difficult.

I have about three semesters left before I graduate with a BBA in Management Info Systems so I'd really like to get a couple more certs to add to my resume before then. As for which ones? I have no clue. I need to figure out which would be most appealing to a company hiring a fresh college graduate. Still thinking about a MCSA with Security+ elective which should be easy to do before I graduate. Or, I could do what I probably should do and venture into the realm of the CCNP.

Anyway, thank you all for your support and I wish you the very best with your ventures!
    Thanks,

Justin

If I were in your shoes, CCNP would be next then line up a few Juniper certs.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats but you deserved it with the time it looks that you put into it!!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your nice comments! I studied like a crazy person for this thing and it feels really nice for it to be finished.
    ROMGabe wrote:
    Congrats!

Sounds like you were very prepared. BTW, how much does it cost to setup a lab like the one you have? I'm currently reading Lammle's CCENT, but do not have any simulators or HW.

I was an idiot and bought a package deal from EBay that included the two 1912 switches (big mistake) the 2912 and three 2501's. In retrospect, I could have saved probably $100 and bought everything separately- which is what I did with the other components. I didn't add it all up but if you are curious just look up the average price of each component on EBay. Since that is where I got it all.

I have this really sincere fascination with networking and that's what keeps telling me to start studying for the CCNP but on the other hand I think a MCSA/MCSE might be more beneficial for my resume as a college graduate. Decision, decision! But thank you all for your advice and kind works!
    The EAST Initiative
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say stick with networking as your core and move from there. Having pulled a very good score on the CCNA exam, center your focus around networking. CCNP, CWNA, and CWSP come to mind. Also, as someone else has said, Juniper certs are also something good to delve into. Congrats!
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    reeves122 wrote:
    Thank you for the advice. I am currently in a technical support position with a small company that services hundreds of school computer-type labs. So you could call me help desk I guess. The labs are windows domains with about a dozen workstations and a domain controller.
    I also help manage the internal network which consists of about 5 servers of which include Exchange, ISA, IIS, MSSQL, and a couple of domain controllers.

I've learned a HECK of a lot in this position but I have debated on looking for an internship with a larger company.

Congratulations!! As far as internships go, with a bachelor's degree, you should be able to find many college graduate entry/internship programs in I.T. The Federal government is one of the many big organizations that actively seek candidates with bachelor degrees and start them out with very good pay! Good luck!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your passing!

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    Grats Grats Grats!
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • Options
    CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    Way to go! Congratulations! Your persistence paid off. How were you on time on your passing exam?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    reeves122 wrote:
    Okay, just got back.

933/1000

Thanks,

Justin

You have worked hard for this victory. Well done and I wish you the best!
  • Options
    CiscoCerts wrote:
    Way to go! Congratulations! Your persistence paid off. How were you on time on your passing exam?

Thank you!

I had about 25 minutes left when I finished the last question.
    The EAST Initiative