Options

Mouse issue

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
Anyone come across a problem with the wheel on a mouse not working?? I have gone into the properties and found that this user does not have a wheel tab so i cant select anything. He is only using a generic Dell PS2 mouse, nothing special, the driver is installed as it uses the XP default. If he uses Word or any Office app, he cant use the wheel to scroll. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Do they have the wheel tab in the mouse properties in the control panel?
  • Options
    No they dont, thats whats so strange.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Sorry I didnt see at first you had written that above already.

Uninstall the mouse, maybe swap it with another similar mouse and see if you get the same result.
  • Options
    I have already swapped it with a new mouse, same issue, i am well and truley stumped on this one.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    look like another classic windows problem. A problem that cannot be resolve by logical thinking. The last resource is to re-install the OS which will almost 100% will resolve the problem, but I doubt that is what you looking for.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go the mouse in device manager and have it try to automatically update the driver. If that doesn't work, uninstall it and reboot. Maybe an outdated or incorrect driver was installed. You could also try searching for a driver or management software at Dell.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does the wheel tab not appear just for the one user? or is it for anyone who uses that machine regardless of rights? also does the wheel work for any other users on that pc?

Sounds like a driver issue possibly? is the driver a standard windows one or have you installed a driver from the manufacturer or an updated windows one? The normal windows one usually does the trick but i have actually come across this before.

Have you also tried that same mouse on a different machine where a wheeled mouse works??
    If the mouse wheel works on another machine then obviously its fine and would prob point to a driver issue on the original pc.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know this sounds stupid, but just the other day I accidentally realized that I can hold down the ctrl key and use my wheel to zoom. It's always the simple things that go unknown.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Looks like i will have to install another Driver, but it`s just a no frills PS2 mouse!! so what driver do i go for? Also i had another issue with a mouse that was stuck in the bottom right hand corner of the screen when plugged into a users docking station!!! so i plugged it into the laptop and it works!!! But the docking station did`nt come with any drivers.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You can always check the manufacturer's website for drivers.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    intelzeeintelzee Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    I know this sounds stupid, but just the other day I accidentally realized that I can hold down the ctrl key and use my wheel to zoom. It's always the simple things that go unknown.

HAHAHA thats sooo cool!!! i did not now that
    look look!!!! its a train!!