Options

Has anyone though of moving to the Business side of IT?

jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've been thinking about this topic for a while. My background is currently Network Admin/Desktop support, but for a long time i've been thinking about going to the Business Analyst/Project Management route.

I have my B.A in Information systems and have a couple of certs.

The defining of scope and requirements really seem to hold my interest more and more.

Maybe i'm getting old, I don't know... :) but anyway, wanted to see if anyone has done this or thought about it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will be becoming a technical project manager probably pretty soon. I find the leadership and overseeing of IT projects but being able to dabble into it still as fascinating.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    project management seems like one of those hot things to get into at the minute. its not something im looking at short term but i wouldnt rule it out because i really enjoy having a project to manage, implement and support through to the end. and from what i see the salary is pretty good aswell. i suppose it depends which side of the fence you want to sit on...a more management role or a technical aspect of it? for me im at an early stage of my career and really want to step up into technical infrastructure work but if i were at a later stage of my career then it maybe a good option!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    The new job I just took has a heavy does of project management in it.

I think as you move up the ladder and the scope of the stuff you work increases, a degree of project management will be inevitable. You may not have to wear the hat of a project manager, but you will have to balance time, see that all the mile stones are met, make sure the other folks involved in the project are getting their stuff done, blah, blah, blah.

If you like doing that kind of stuff, and are capable of it I say go for it. I think PMs work a lot of hours, but I have never met one that was not well compensated for it.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!

I'm definitely thinking about it. A while ago I was thinking about going to get my Masters degree and I looked back in my notes, one of the programs I was strongly thinking about at that time was Systems Engineering.

It definitely made me think harder about it.
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    I am looking into a change of pace... the business analyst and project managers at my present job seem to enjoy what they do.

Project Management and BA skills are highy sought after
  • Options
    jimmyolsenjimmyolsen Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is the exact transition that I made over two years ago and I love every minute of it.

go for it!
  • Options
    eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    Business side of IT really doesn't appeal to me unless it is something like ERP systems especially SAP but then I am not sure if that should be considered as business because it is also technical in nature
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • Options
    jimmyolsen wrote:
    That is the exact transition that I made over two years ago and I love every minute of it.

go for it!

Wow...How exactly did you do it?

I always wanted to go back to school for my Masters, but I didn't want it to be comp. sci, and since I had my Bachelors in Info Sys I wanted to do something a little different.

My company gives a pretty generous tuition reimbursement so I decided today I'm going back in the fall. The system Engineering classes seemed very interesting to me.

Before this fall I also decided I'd finish my MCSE so I can have something to fall back on :)