Options

CCNA -> CCNP

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
Hi,

I havent passed the CCNA yet, and im worried that not nailing the CCNA in the first try is an indication that I shouldnt have any ambition for starting studying CCNP afterwards.

Am i just being nervous and silly or is there some justification behind my current reasoning?
Studying for CCNP (All done)

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why do you think you are feeling that way?
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    kpjungle wrote:
    Am i just being nervous and silly or is there some justification behind my current reasoning?

I'd go with silly. To deduce from a non-success that you're not cut out for the NP is, well, silly. The exam is the toughest you've faced to date in your life. But to make it mean more than that is, again, silly.

Yep, silly gets my vote.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    definitely silly, failure is an inevitable part of life, if you do happen to fail you will learn where to focus more of your energy so you can go in next time and obliterate the test
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If for some reason you did fail, all that really means is that you did not adequately prepare. So, you lick your wounds check out the areas that you were weak on in your score report and rework them.

Then go back and pounce on that exam! If the exam was easy, it would have far less worth to you. icon_wink.gif

Go get it! :)

P.S. My vote goes for nervous and silly. icon_lol.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    gojericho0 wrote:

Thanks for the answers.. just wanted to make sure that you dont need to be a networking genius to work your way up the cisco ladder.

Im not sure actually. Ive studied in the Network Academy since january, and have really hit the books pretty hard, but im having a hard time remember all the facts. I get all the concepts, and havent failed any of the semester tests in the academy program yet.. Guess its just exam jitters.

Again, thanks for all the replies. Now i can take the exam in stride :)
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just keep in mind if everyone could remember everything, there wouldn't be as much need for the Cisco DocCD. icon_wink.gif

Start with the small building blocks and work your way up. Get as much hands on as possible, it REALLY helps reinforcing the concepts in your head.

Good luck!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kpjungle wrote:
    gojericho0 wrote:

Thanks for the answers.. just wanted to make sure that you dont need to be a networking genius to work your way up the cisco ladder.

Im not sure actually. Ive studied in the Network Academy since january, and have really hit the books pretty hard, but im having a hard time remember all the facts. I get all the concepts, and havent failed any of the semester tests in the academy program yet.. Guess its just exam jitters.

Again, thanks for all the replies. Now i can take the exam in stride :)

Yeah, i'm sure its all it is then nerves. Even if for some reason you do fail who cares. Many have failed before and many will in the future no matter what the exam. Perseverance is a great trait to have and you can only obtain it through failure
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I was one of those guys that, prior to IT, never failed a test... ever.

Failed 3 of my 11 MCP's on the first try, and the N+ and S+, and the BSCI. That's a shot straight at the ego, 6 times.

So as has been commented on, IF you aren't successful on the first pass, you learn from it, pick your self up, and annihilate it on the second pass. Like jericho just said... perseverance.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kpjungle wrote:
    Hi,

I havent passed the CCNA yet, and im worried that not nailing the CCNA in the first try is an indication that I shouldnt have any ambition for starting studying CCNP afterwards.

Well..there are easy ways to pass any test on the first try but this forum doesn't condone them. Neither do I for that matter. A career in networking is a long term thing. I have been doing it for 10 years, I have passed many exams, I have many books on my shelves and Im still learning things as I go along because it's a dynamic field. Don't be afraid of failing providing you are preparing for it in an honest way.

Good luck with your prep. If it doesn't work out first time, knuckle down and good luck in the next attempt! Just don't rush your studies. Some CCIE's take 4+ attempts to pass that exam and to be honest..needlessly. Be patient. You need plenty of elapsed time for some things to *really* make sense and you can't rush that process. It will come!